The Aussie Gear & Accessories review's & view's thread!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after touching on this subject in another thread....the subject being that we Aussies tend to get a different bunch of gear & bike Accessories to choose from in our bike shops, than what is on offer for our friends over the big deep blue...

So maybe it's time to start an Aussie Riding Gear & Accessories review thread...where us Aussie's can post media reviews of popular, locally available bike stuff (that's the technical term!), or we can write about our own gear...and what we think of it...whether it is great...or sucks severely...

anyway, i will get us started....

I love my Leathers....made by a great Aussie company, RJays...in fact i liked the RJays 2 piece leather road suit i got for touring so much, that when i needed a one piece set of racing leathers...i bought RJays again!

My road leather pants are the RJays Diablo pant, with lots of padding, decent knee and shin armour, stretch panels, and two pockets.
View attachment 21774

These pants are a set with the RJays x2 Jacket, with decent ce approved shoulder and arm armour built in, a removable winter liner, lots of pockets, vented sleeves.
View attachment 21775

The pants zip to the jacket.

I have had this set for about 17000km's now, have given it the ultimate test! and it's still going strong, being perfectly comfortable, surprisingly weather proof, and hard wearing...

at just over $500 for the set....this 2 piece road set makes awesome value, and IMHO is more than worthy competition for a lot of the more expensive International brands...

Have also got great things to say about my one piece "phantom" RJays race suit...was ridiculously cheap...under $700.
View attachment 21776

View attachment 21777

Has built in CE approved armour, a nice aero hump on the back, is fully vented....read bloody cold in any weather below 20c!!!!

But the fit is awesome, and is very comfortable to wear when on the bike...off the bike, like most one piece suits..it's a bit of a pain in the A...but that's why we wear 2 piece suits on the road...cause we gotta get off for a beer at some point!

Have also given this suit the ultimate test, and apart from a 20cm rip along one seam, on the inside of the left leg, where i collected my clutch lever, whilst flying over the handlebars in a highside, there suit came out scuffed, but relatively unscathed, (after a 100 metre slide accross a race track, and then, rocky infield!) and ready for action after a $25 repair job at the seamstress!!!

Anyway, that's my first review, to get things started...come on you Aussie's, tell us about your gear...especially if it's Australian owned, or made!

:aus:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm happy to give the Dririder Nordic Pro jacket (might be discontinued now) and my RST Pro Series Textile Pants really good writeups. Both very well made, extremely comfortable, lots of useful features, and where pretty good value for money (I did get them on sale however, probably wouldn't want to pay full price but I'm cheap). I've only done one long trip (1100km over a weekend) in them and lots of general riding, but they are great. Waterproof and warm even in the mornings when it was just below zero. Also one great feature on the jacket is it has LOTS of air 'vents' that you can unzip to get some airflow.

The RST Pro Series pants particularly I think are really awesome, they have a strip of material at the feet that grips onto boots and stops them riding up. Good pockets, good zips, and just generally good workmanship. Sadly these unlike the jacket aren't Australian.

On the RJays note though! I have a pair of RJays 'Urban Boot' Price on the box was 170$ (they where reduced to less at the time). They aren't the full length boots, rather the shorter ones.
They are basically a casual riding boot I guess, great on and off the bike, have a nice hardened peice over the toes for changing gears. Very waterproof (first pair I've bought with the waterproof tag that have actually worked).
They are of sturdy design and offer reasonable protection. I also find the shorter boots good because they breath alot more, meaning I can wear them all day instead of taking a change of shoes everywhere. There isn't ankle support, but there is armour at the ankles.
I did 550kms in one day in these, I was soaked, my old jacket leaked (not the Nordic), the waterproof pants I was wearing rode up (not the RSTs), my gloves ended up saturated, even inside my helmet was pretty wet. I was on the freeway the last hours and it bucketed down non stop.
I got home got off the bike went inside and had dry feet. No joke, not a single drop below the top of the boot.
Anyone looking for a simple, good all day riding and walking boot. These are it.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm happy to give the Dririder Nordic Pro jacket (might be discontinued now) and my RST Pro Series Textile Pants really good writeups. Both very well made, extremely comfortable, lots of useful features, and where pretty good value for money (I did get them on sale however, probably wouldn't want to pay full price but I'm cheap). I've only done one long trip (1100km over a weekend) in them and lots of general riding, but they are great. Waterproof and warm even in the mornings when it was just below zero. Also one great feature on the jacket is it has LOTS of air 'vents' that you can unzip to get some airflow.

The RST Pro Series pants particularly I think are really awesome, they have a strip of material at the feet that grips onto boots and stops them riding up. Good pockets, good zips, and just generally good workmanship. Sadly these unlike the jacket aren't Australian.

On the RJays note though! I have a pair of RJays 'Urban Boot' Price on the box was 170$ (they where reduced to less at the time). They aren't the full length boots, rather the shorter ones.
They are basically a casual riding boot I guess, great on and off the bike, have a nice hardened peice over the toes for changing gears. Very waterproof (first pair I've bought with the waterproof tag that have actually worked).
They are of sturdy design and offer reasonable protection. I also find the shorter boots good because they breath alot more, meaning I can wear them all day instead of taking a change of shoes everywhere. There isn't ankle support, but there is armour at the ankles.
I did 550kms in one day in these, I was soaked, my old jacket leaked (not the Nordic), the waterproof pants I was wearing rode up (not the RSTs), my gloves ended up saturated, even inside my helmet was pretty wet. I was on the freeway the last hours and it bucketed down non stop.
I got home got off the bike went inside and had dry feet. No joke, not a single drop below the top of the boot.
Anyone looking for a simple, good all day riding and walking boot. These are it.

I have had my eyes on a pair of thoise RST pants for a while...nice cut, very comfy, not too bulky...quality english designed wet weather clobber...

Might just have to replace my Dririder Summit Pro pants with these...my Summit's are one size too big, are bulky, and i have never felt comfortable in them, even if they are completely, wind, water, and cold proof!

Thanks for the write up!

:thumbup:

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Fair dinkum Wolfman. I thought I was the only one sponsored by Rjays :D

Plenty of people whine & moan about their gear but I cant fault it. I wear the Voyager 2 pants & jacket everyday to & from work. Rain, hail or shine at all stupid times of the day.
40 km one way to work so it can become a very damp encounter in a storm. Cant fault the weather protection of this gear but im yet to find out how it handles a tumble.

Gore tex Alpine Stars boots are the best ive ever owned. Had em 8 years & they cop a flogging but have never leaked a drop of water.

Depending on the weather I wear RST gloves when its shining & Spidi winter gloves. The Spidi are a good glove but can leave the fingers a bit chilly at 4am on a winters morning.

Not even sure of the brand on my leathers? They have saved my hide 4 times on a race track & I thought about upgrading 2 months ago when a friend of mine offered to give em a touch up. She replaced internal panels which had worn thin & re-stitched left knee & thigh for me.

Alpine Stars boots for the track.

+ Ive not ridden a bike in the last 3 years without my Rjays back protector. Not once. I feel this is just as important as my helmet.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fair dinkum Wolfman. I thought I was the only one sponsored by Rjays :D

Plenty of people whine & moan about their gear but I cant fault it. I wear the Voyager 2 pants & jacket everyday to & from work. Rain, hail or shine at all stupid times of the day.
40 km one way to work so it can become a very damp encounter in a storm. Cant fault the weather protection of this gear but im yet to find out how it handles a tumble.

Gore tex Alpine Stars boots are the best ive ever owned. Had em 8 years & they cop a flogging but have never leaked a drop of water.

Depending on the weather I wear RST gloves when its shining & Spidi winter gloves. The Spidi are a good glove but can leave the fingers a bit chilly at 4am on a winters morning.

Not even sure of the brand on my leathers? They have saved my hide 4 times on a race track & I thought about upgrading 2 months ago when a friend of mine offered to give em a touch up. She replaced internal panels which had worn thin & re-stitched left knee & thigh for me.

Alpine Stars boots for the track.

+ Ive not ridden a bike in the last 3 years without my Rjays back protector. Not once. I feel this is just as important as my helmet.

Yep, i love my RJays leathers...absolutely adore them....never once do i put them on and say to myself "why do i have to wear shis crap"...it's quite the opposite, it's like slippig into my best old tracky dacks & Mocassins!

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Shoei XR1000 get a big :thumbup:

Surprising how cool my head stays in it considering the venting is quite small. Fogging up is literally non-existant (once you fit the nose bridge). Visor swapping is as easy as changing channels on your telly remote. Hope the new XR1100 is every bit as good as the lid its replacing.

Ill share more later (as I haven't owned it long enough), about a month ago I bought the Yamaha Chicane Jacket. It comes with a winter liner and is supposed to offer some form of water resistance (yet there is no rain liner), but its party piece, it has huge internal pockets along with the obligatory outside pockets. Has great ventilation (zips that open on the shoudlers, biceps & a big one between your shoulder blades)

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, i love my RJays leathers...absolutely adore them....never once do i put them on and say to myself "why do i have to wear shis crap"...it's quite the opposite, it's like slippig into my best old tracky dacks & Mocassins!

LOL...yup...your black Rjays leathers rock. Extremely comfy at the track for 7 hours or so and I've seen you try them out on a 4WD hunt and they worked pretty well I reckon.:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL...yup...your black Rjays leathers rock. Extremely comfy at the track for 7 hours or so and I've seen you try them out on a 4WD hunt and they worked pretty well I reckon.:thumbup:

Dont think much of their gloves though..have had 2 pair that have fallen apart pretty quickly...but as for Rjays boots...now they also rock...in fact, MP also has a RJays Ladies "Blade" leather jacket, with full body armour , removable liner, RJays Ladies "Elite" pants, with stretch panels, full armour & the RJays top of the their range, Altitude race boots.

View attachment 21823

View attachment 21824

View attachment 21825

MP swears by the boots, so much so, she wore them around PI for 3 days, commenting on how comfy they are...

Her pants & jacket, whilst she still finds a little stiff, are also very very good...and offer top notch protection for around $550 for both....

I wonder when RJays will offer me a job as their marketing co-ordinator!!!! ;)

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
My Shoei XR1000 get a big :thumbup:

Surprising how cool my head stays in it considering the venting is quite small. Fogging up is literally non-existant (once you fit the nose bridge). Visor swapping is as easy as changing channels on your telly remote. Hope the new XR1100 is every bit as good as the lid its replacing.

lol i give this the thumbs down

i hate my xr1000 noisy as all hell, the venting is crap

sure it fits well and will work in crash stilll...

wierd thing is of the riders i know here in perth 50% say it rocks 50% say it is ****... must be a head shape thing

rain hail or shine i ride with a shift leather jacket ( had a crash in another shift jacket and i reckon it saved my life ! )

draggins and sidi boots

also have some nice spyke gloves for winter

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Rjays Striker helmet and love it ,good fit and vents work.

Think I might go for the Rjays leathers when I need new ones,using Rivet at the moment.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, R Jays Altitude boots. Mine popped open one day for no reason and simply would not stay closed. Nothing was broken on the boots either. They are the right size for my feet, but they feel like riding in gumboots (well, how bad they stay around your calves). But one good thing, they have fantastic feel through the sole, the only thing that is better on the R Jays than my Vertigo's.

Won't be buying anything from R Jays ever again.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Rjays Striker helmet and love it ,good fit and vents work.

Think I might go for the Rjays leathers when I need new ones,using Rivet at the moment.

Dude, I have the exact same helmet :thumbup: A bit noisy but ive always got either the ipod or ear plugs to keep the damage to a minimum.

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
My HJC CL14 helmet @ $130 bux it truely a bargain from Total Motorcycles in Pooraka. No helmet fits me as well as this one and I had a stack in the previous one but didn't feel a thing. Wolf and I seem to have similar respect for their helmets.

My Collins Leather Jacket and gloves were sourced from ebay. I was wearing the jacket in the accident and it got compensated for. 2 years later the gloves are holding strong. Jacket was excellent in comparison to local sourced dryriders and cheaper.

Speaking of dryriders my nordic cruiser style boots were great value at $150 bux for Bills Motorcycles. They dont leak after 18 month of service and I ride to work rain, hail or snow.

The dririder jacket I have now has busted the sleeve zips 3 times and I am not impressed. Bills Motorcycles lent me a higher end jacket last time and it was way to heavy and not enough ventilation to be worth the costs.

I will buy my next one from Welcome to Traxion Motorcycle Apparel as a mate swears by them.

Yes i know there is no pics but i am so F&%King drunk atm I DONT CARE. google it.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey oz looks like the helmet im about to get. A friend just bought a rjays from pitmans, for $140, with upeer and lower breath guard, removable liner, and not bad on weight. The tinted visor and irridium visors are $30 each.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey oz looks like the helmet im about to get. A friend just bought a rjays from pitmans, for $140, with upeer and lower breath guard, removable liner, and not bad on weight. The tinted visor and irridium visors are $30 each.

Ive got the iridium visor which was fine for about 3 months. Ive since got some really small scratches on it that wont go away.

When I replace it I will be going the tinted visor instead. :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive got the iridium visor which was fine for about 3 months. Ive since got some really small scratches on it that wont go away.

When I replace it I will be going the tinted visor instead. :thumbup:

Gotta be super careful with those Iridium visors...the Iridium part of them is just a laminate coating...and it scratches off super easy, making the visor look crap!

Gotta be real aware of this when your paying $80 for replacement visor's on the HJC AC-12!!!! Highway robbery i say!

$30 for an RJays visor...once again...value for money, right there!!!

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah th e vior for my hjc is $90 cl 14, and i destroyed mine trying to stop a elevator from closing, wasnt happy jan. As soon as my holiday payout comes i think ill go and try these strikers on, then ill put up all my gear.