What do I need to buy to take a bike apart?

dblaze

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you should go for it you are prepared to give the project as much time as it takes good luck to you. :thumbup:

Will you be posting your progress?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A handy tool would be a 3/8" or 1/2" drive hand impact driver. An example would be the hex head button head bolts that hold you front rotors on. I tried to remove one and it started to get marred. The hand impact driver will save you a lot of heartache on frozen bolts/nuts.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A handy tool would be a 3/8" or 1/2" drive hand impact driver. An example would be the hex head button head bolts that hold you front rotors on. I tried to remove one and it started to get marred. The hand impact driver will save you a lot of heartache on frozen bolts/nuts.

Fair call....lot cheaper, and less fraught with danger than a rattle gun too!

:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But don't forget the rattle gun, and the 36mm? socket to pull off the front sprocket. Breaker bar and broomhandle through the rear wheel in gear, with someone standing on the rear brake = :banghead::rant:

Rattle gun = :wav::steve::D:rockon::cheer:

And while you've got it in your hands, might as well rattle off those rear sprocket nuts as well:D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But don't forget the rattle gun, and the 36mm? socket to pull off the front sprocket. Breaker bar and broomhandle through the rear wheel in gear, with someone standing on the rear brake = :banghead::rant:

Rattle gun = :wav::steve::D:rockon::cheer:

And while you've got it in your hands, might as well rattle off those rear sprocket nuts as well:D

So i am summising that the job is now done! Thanks for giving me a great excuse to go for a ride...and deliver the socket adaptor! I managed to cover 124km from your house to mine and back home!!! :rockon:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So i am summising that the job is now done! Thanks for giving me a great excuse to go for a ride...and deliver the socket adaptor! I managed to cover 124km from your house to mine and back home!!! :rockon:

Then you are lucky they didn't have a 3/4 inch drive rattle gun 'cause I was gonna get one of those as well....lol.:D

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, oh I know I don't have the know-how for this. That's partly why I'm doing it.

And I might not go so extreme as the engine stuff. I'll probably chicken out with that to be honest. But right now my FZ is not in great shape and a LOT of parts on it need to be replaced. I literally cannot afford to spend 4 grand at the dealership like I did last year. I don't care if it takes me 10 months I am doing this on my own. You have no idea how pissed I was at how much money they took from me over those 5 months. Freaking ludicrous. Could have bought a decent trackbike for that much money. Bastards.

Anyway, today went to bike shop to check out what they used. I think I can do something similar but need to talk to a structural guy and find out if the beam in my garage can hold that. It's a beam built up from 4 - 2x10's.

I hear ya, that's why I've learned to do what I can and only pay a trusted dealer to do what I can't. Pictures, take them before disassemble so it will help when you put it back together.
Plenty of help here on the forum plus many of us may learn as you go. This could be a great winter thread for all of us :popcorn::popcorn:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm surprised that everybody has missed the most important item. This project will probably call for more than 10 cases (24 each) of beer (Moosehead?)...maybe more. I see Walmart even stocks cases/cubes/packs of 36 now! Anyway, DONT' FORGET RECYCLING the empties! If you're into smashing down the aluminum cans, then probably good idea to install a can smasher real close by in your shop area.