What's the deal....are dealerships missing the boat?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Ok, this issue has boggled my little mind for sometime now so I thought I would ask. Maybe some people on here who might work at bike shops/dealerships can shed some light on the subject.

What is the deal with bike shops/dealerships being closed on Sundays, especially during riding season?!?!?! From what I've seen this is an industry wide thing.

I've NEVER understood this "logic". Service departments being closed I can sort of understand, but the main shop being closed just seems retarded. Do you not want riders who are out in mass numbers on the weekends dropping in to spend money?? I don't know about you, but there have been plenty of times that I would have loved to have stopped in to grab a new pair of gloves, helmet visor, chain lube, or something. Even just to stop in and 'window shop'.

At least from May to September, MC shops should be open all weekends to take advantage of the 'riding season'. I can then see being closed on Sundays during the 'off season' to cut down on overhead. If I were a shop owner, looking to make money (especially in today’s economy), why wouldn't I want to be open on Sundays during the summer??

To me, being closed 50% of the weekend sends a message to me that says you are more than happy and have made enough money that you don't really want or need anymore business... Not to mention this 'closed Sunday' crap is more than a little outdated as more and more stores have figured out that they need to be open ALL weekend.

At the same time owners then scratch their heads and wonder why people go and buy their stuff online all the time instead of in their store?? Sorry shop owners, but if you want to compete for my business, you have to actually be available and accessible for me to come in and spend my money. Like it or not, we are a "want it now" society. Having closed doors 1 out of 2 days of the weekend isn't going to cut it anymore.

Time to wake up owners and think outside the box you all created for yourselves.

A shop near me just started having the accessory dept open for partial sundays last year. They have posted that the rest of their store is closed on Sundays because they like to ride too. I have to agree with you and shops are losing out on a lot of business by not being open.

I really don't think they will lose that much money. It's not like food where people need it that day. The way I see it people will make time to get something they want. Go between work or after work or go on Saturdays.

The consumer is going to buy it either way what does it matter if its closed 1 day out of the week.

The only way I see them losing money is if they have a competitor that is open on Sunday that is close by- which does not seem to be the case.

Around here, atleast, dealers hold "ride days" on Sundays. They will have sportbike, cruizer and dual sport rides. You just basically show up and one of the dealer people will lead the group on a ride. They also showcase off new products and gear. I think they close for three reasons.

One, so their employees can get out and ride too, as most of these places only employ a dozen or so people.

Second, they can offer seminars on new products.

Third, well here in WI, dealerships can not be legally open on Sunday. The law was set up to provide people an opportunity to browse the lot with no pressure. The fact that Rec Vehicle dealers showcase their stuff indoors, well, that is a by product of unintended consequences. The dealer rides is a roundabout way of having people see new stuff, even if they can't purchase it right then.

TOTALLY agree. I thought it was just my area.... I know a lot of shops in Vegas and I can only think of 1 that's open Sunday. They're on a short-day schedule Sunday, but it's better than not at all!

Same here. The shop has limited hours on Saturday and is closed on Sunday. I called the shop a few Sundays ago and got the machine. It basically said they were out riding on Sundays.

I don't know about anyone else, but Sunday is usually the day I really need something!:D

Sorry, but having the excuse of "our employees like to ride too" is total crap.

You are running a BUSINESS!!! Not a day-care for your employees who want to go ride! So, maybe they should ask their employees if they want to go ride or have a job?!?!?

Sorry, but if I were a business owner, closing my business so that the people who work for me can go out and ride would be pretty damn low on my list of business priorites! Don't get me wrong, I fully believe in treating your employess well and in doing so you will have better employees. But jsut beacuse you like to ride and work in a bike shop shouldn't have to make one close it on a Sunday so they can all go riding!

There is this thing called a 'schedule', where you can alternate your employees who have to work on the weekends (work one, get next one off - repeat) so they can still go and ride. Suck it up buttercup; can't ride without a job.

Last edited:
Around here, atleast, dealers hold "ride days" on Sundays. They will have sportbike, cruizer and dual sport rides. You just basically show up and one of the dealer people will lead the group on a ride. They also showcase off new products and gear. I think they close for three reasons.

One, so their employees can get out and ride too, as most of these places only employ a dozen or so people.

Third, well here in WI, dealerships can not be legally open on Sunday. The law was set up to provide people an opportunity to browse the lot with no pressure. The fact that Rec Vehicle dealers showcase their stuff indoors, well, that is a by product of unintended consequences. The dealer rides is a roundabout way of having people see new stuff, even if they can't purchase it right then.
What dealers do that around the Valley? I'd like to get into that this summer.

Now that is smart. Give riders a reason to come to your shop on a Sunday!

I agree 1000%. The shops around me are closed Sunday AND Monday, so if you find a need on Saturday then you are SOL until Tuesday. And if you want to reserve 2 days for your employees to ride the make it a Tuesday/Thursday thing. Not all jobs, but a majority are Monday to Friday and the people that have jobs are the ones that have $ to spend. therefore they are cutting the shopping time for people with $ to spend in half.

I don't really know what the solution is, but I always find that I have to make some sort of special arrangements any time I want to go to the bike dealer. It gets kind of annoying.

One shop is open 6 days a week 9am-6pm, limited hours on Saturday like 10am-2pm, but everyone there only works 5 days a week, so say for example, your salesman might not work wednesdays, etc. I can't hardly go to this shop unless there is some special circumstance where I don't have work or I am over there for another reason and can stop by, but usually never with the bike or with enough time to really buy anything.

The other shop the other direction is open 5 days a week, Tuesday through Saturday. They close at I believe 6 except for 5 on Saturday and are open late until 8pm Tuesday and Thursday. I can only ever go there when they're open late or right before they close on a Saturday.

It almost seems like no matter what I have to work hard at getting to a shop when they're open, but I feel like my schedule is not far off from many others so I just don't get it. I understand that their workers should have somewhat normal shifts or whatever, but I think they should make it so you wouldn't have to take a day off work or whatever just to go and buy a bike, or wait half a week to get a part or something.

I really don't think they will lose that much money. It's not like food where people need it that day. The way I see it people will make time to get something they want. Go between work or after work or go on Saturdays.

The consumer is going to buy it either way what does it matter if its closed 1 day out of the week.

The only way I see them losing money is if they have a competitor that is open on Sunday that is close by- which does not seem to be the case.

Yes the consumer will buy it....from someone else. For me, that means online. And a shop that's closed on one of the two days I actually have to devote to them runs the risk of me abandoning them _entirely_ in favor of an online shop.

Even the banks have changed. Next to bike shops being closed on Sundays, Bankers Hours had to be the most ridiculous hours ever devised! "Banks are open M-F, 9-5"...great...the exact same hours that the majority of the world is at work! Awesome!

Now they open earlier and close later and most offer somem form of weekend banking. Maybe they are closed on Sundays beacuse their employees like to go out banking??!?

Times they are a changing, so businesses need to keep up, or step out of the way!

You'd think that most would take advantage of any 'edge' they could get over online and other competitors?!? How good would it be for your business to be able to advertise "Only bike shop in town open Sundays!"

bone - your right on man.. i totally agree with you.. the bs of shops being closed sundays.."oh well our sales people like to ride to" .. who cares about them.. shouldnt the focus be on the buyer and not the worker??? if they want to be closed monday and tuesday, then fine, but not being open all weekend is really a no-brainer... i should open my own dealership and be open 7 days a week for the summer.. that would really screw up people

I agree totally. Check out my dealer's comment on Sunday: New Hampshire Yamaha Suzuki Motorcycle ATV Snowmobile Dealer - Freedom Cycle - KTM Arctic Cat Bombardier Ski-Doo Scooter Generator Utility-vehicle Snowbloer Pump Lawn Mower Honda Power Equipment

So they want to close to ride on Sunday? Give them a chance to ride? Why can't they ride on Mon-Tues or Tues-Wed?

What is wrong with having a couple of shifts where a crew man's the place Sat. and has Sun. off, then the Sun. crew has Sat. off? Maybe close for all on .... say Wednesday?

Excellent point Boneman!!!

I agree. When I worked retail (yes, I used to work weird hours too), it was great for grocery shopping and banking, because I had midweek days off. Unfortunately, I eventually got a set schedule that gave me Sundays and Mondays off, and as Rob said earlier, our local shops are all closed Sundays and Mondays. I never could get tot he dealership to get gear, so all my stuff came from online or more distant places. I understand the need to cut overhead and having the shop closed 1 or 2 days is a great way to do that, but the majority of the working world has Sat-Sun off. Why be closed "for riding" on those days when you could cut even MORE overhead by beaing closed on your two slowest days, which are often, in most retail domains, Monday and Tuesday.

Every car dealer in every town is open all day Saturday and Sunday and most now have a full day of service on Saturday and many are now even offering Sunday service ( even if it's limited to oil changes and simple stuff).

I ride with a car salesman who has to work every Saturday and one Sunday a month because he takes care of all of the Internet inquiries. All of the other salesmen usually work 2 Sundays a month.

I don't know how many Sundays I am looking to go for a ride and need a "destination". There is only one MC dealer in the area open Sundays so often that is where I head and it's always busy in both the showroom and the parts dept.

MC riders tend to be big window shoppers and even if you're not in the market for a new bike, you'll go look and sit to think about what your next bike will be. Once in the dealer, I know I always take a quick run through the parts/accessories dept. and usually end up picking up something on impulse. It's also on Sunday that I get a chance to do my bike maintenance and clean up, and invariably I run out of something I could use that is bike specific.

Here in Iowa, Car dealerships are not allowed to be open on Sundays. I don't know if that applies to MC as well, but I would guess so since they are classified as Vehicular Sales...

We do have one shop that is open, but they do not sell any NEW bikes, so maybe they fall into another category.

I agree it sucks, same with cars. The one day I want to go shopping I cannot...

Back