What's the deal....are dealerships missing the boat?

my dads shop is in a small area, we just had tons of poor people come in and wanna test ride and sit on and never spend any money... I would say big thing would be area. Another thing is cost effectiveness. You would basically have to sell roughly $2000 worth of stuff to make it worth it.... lights, employee's, plus actually getting someone to work on a sunday......

my dads shop is in a small area, we just had tons of poor people come in and wanna test ride and sit on and never spend any money... I would say big thing would be area. Another thing is cost effectiveness. You would basically have to sell roughly $2000 worth of stuff to make it worth it.... lights, employee's, plus actually getting someone to work on a sunday......

This logic Makes no sense to me. If it take $2000 in sales to break even on a Sunday doesn't that mean it takes $2000 in sales to break even on Wednesday? ( I am assuming that you are still only open 5-6 days a week and rotating your staff so you're not paying any overtime no matter what days you are open). If this is true then I will take my chances of making that $2000 in sales by being open Sat & Sun when I know most riders are out and about and have time to come shop my store and I'd close Monday and/or Tuesday, when most of my potential customers are working.

I'd also open my store at 10-11AM on weekedays and stay open until 7-8PM. Again, be closed when my customers are at work and open when they get off work for them to stop in and pick up something, browse bikes or drop off for service.

Basic Marketing...my professors would be happy to see I'm using my Marketing degree after all these years.

This logic Makes no sense to me. If it take $2000 in sales to break even on a Sunday doesn't that mean it takes $2000 in sales to break even on Wednesday? ( I am assuming that you are still only open 5-6 days a week and rotating your staff so you're not paying any overtime no matter what days you are open). If this is true then I will take my chances of making that $2000 in sales by being open Sat & Sun when I know most riders are out and about and have time to come shop my store and I'd close Monday and/or Tuesday, when most of my potential customers are working.

I'd also open my store at 10-11AM on weekedays and stay open until 7-8PM. Again, be closed when my customers are at work and open when they get off work for them to stop in and pick up something, browse bikes or drop off for service.

Basic Marketing...my professors would be happy to see I'm using my Marketing degree after all these years.

to be honest like i said we did the sunday thing for a short time but mostly welfare and penny pinchers... And I didnt say break even.... break even isnt worth your time or effort! My dads shop is now just a repair and after market part shop so its just him and a mechanic.... alternating staff would be a good sized dealership.... There are dealerships around central new york open on sunday but its a very small window.... Also the internet has also killed income for shops..... Many of you must really be 100% clueless to home much it actually does cost to open the doors..... Not to be mean but I have seen numerous good buisnesses gone bankrupt because of a "great college education"..... O one more thing 10 or 11 in the morning till 7-8 at night is great for people without families..... best of luck on that one! not to mention many people get done with work and go home... not stop at shops to spend money that many people right now don't have....

Last edited:
Ok, for those of you that are saying your issue is the hours during your work schedual...

Here are some things your deal with every week with hours you cannot change but yet you find a way to get it done.

-The Bank (9-5) M-R and (9-6) on F. Yet for your entire life you have managed to get in there at some point, lunch break, leave a bit early... something to get your $$ in the bank.

-The DMV. State owned outfit. You have to go get your licence renew... you come in a bit late to work because you are first in line at 8 am to get in and get out.

There are many things that everyone deals with on a day to day to basic, in which special plans need to be made. Hours can not be adjusted to fit everyones needs, it will never happen. Make your plans accordingly, its not that difficult, plan ahead. Make sacrifices if needed. If it means missing lunch so you can go try on some new lids at the local shop, well that is your choice. Food or pleasure...

If the market can support a shop to be open on Sundays, then they will. But do some research, see how many shops are open on Sundays, vs. how many are not. Then in your area, see if you can find the amount of revenue your local town brings in on a Sunday. There is a reason why shops are not open... The $$ and customer base just isnt there. I heard something from my father or someone in the industry some where and that is, 90% of a shops money comes from 10% of their customers. That 10% is the racers and hardcore riders. Where do you think they are on Sunday, where do you think the last place they want to be is on Sunday?

-bryan

Last edited:
Ok, for those of you that are saying your issue is the hours during your work schedual...

Here are some things your deal with every week with hours you cannot change but yet you find a way to get it done.

-The Bank (9-5) M-R and (9-6) on F. Yet for your entire life you have managed to get in there at some point, lunch break, leave a bit early... something to get your $$ in the bank.

-The DMV. State owned outfit. You have to go get your licence renew... you come in a bit late to work because you are first in line at 8 am to get in and get out.

There are many things that everyone deals with on a day to day to basic, in which special plans need to be made. Hours can not be adjusted to fit everyones needs, it will never happen. Make your plans accordingly, its not that difficult, plan ahead. Make sacrifices if needed. If it means missing lunch so you can go try on some new lids at the local shop, well that is your choice. Food or pleasure...

If the market can support a shop to be open on Sundays, then they will.

-bryan

very nicely said! One more thing if you get out of work right around when that shop closes, as long as you have the intent to actually buy something not "just try it on, so you can order it online" then someone will most likely stay and wait for you. At least that's how My father and I both are.....

very nicely said! One more thing if you get out of work right around when that shop closes, as long as you have the intent to actually buy something not "just try it on, so you can order it online" then someone will most likely stay and wait for you. At least that's how My father and I both are.....

"Never close the doors on a paying customer!" No matter what the cost of the part.

-bryan

Nobody wants to work on weekends.

Everybody wants everybody else to work on weekends.

People who work in bike shops already lose their Saturdays. Let them have their Sundays.

Also, in Texas, you cannot have a dealership open on both Saturday and Sunday. It's the law.

Wow we in UK actually have something you Yanks don't :rockon:

Most of our dealerships are open 7-days a week with late night openings at least once a week!

Sundays tend to be the day when rides start or finish at the dealership, most of ours have a fast food place in the car park, so it is a place to have a coffee at the end of the day.

What ever time I have been to our local dealer on a weekend always between 6 and 30 bikers outside chilling. Go round the shop and the parts department is always selling, and generally someone is sat at a desk with a salesman doing a deal.

If the market can support a shop to be open on Sundays, then they will. But do some research, see how many shops are open on Sundays, vs. how many are not. Then in your area, see if you can find the amount of revenue your local town brings in on a Sunday. There is a reason why shops are not open... The $$ and customer base just isnt there. I heard something from my father or someone in the industry some where and that is, 90% of a shops money comes from 10% of their customers. That 10% is the racers and hardcore riders. Where do you think they are on Sunday, where do you think the last place they want to be is on Sunday?

-bryan

Very well said. Most people do not realize all of the costs of being open. It is not just the employees salary you have to pay. Taxes, insurance, medical participation, possible pension/401k plans. Granted you have to pay some of these items all the time, but many are hourly/wage based. So the more hours an employee works, the more you have to pay in. Most owners get around this during the slow times by handling the hours themselves.

And the comment about it costing the same on a Wednesday, during normal business hours, you have your service guys there. Service brings in a lot of money, as do parts sales. You have to sell less during the week. Logic would say to have a fully staffed shop on the weekends, but, you have to have weekday business on the weekends. There just simply is not enough foot traffic on weekends to justify full staffing and long hours.

The thing about this question is that there really is no right or wrong answer. It all depends upon the individual business. There are some dealerships who open on Sundays. I know of a Honda store close to Asheville, NC that because of the owners religious beliefs is closed on Saturday and open on Sunday.

But the reason that most franchised dealerships are closed on Sunday is because their finance companies and banks are closed. Unit sales are the life blood of the store, PG&A (Parts, Garments & Accessories) sales by themselves can't make enough money to justify opening the doors on that one day, and most service departments are a break even proposition as a rule every day. So if you know going in that you aren't going to be profitable, but you are going to create staffing problems and increase your overhead, why would you do it?

Bruce

But the reason that most franchised dealerships are closed on Sunday is because their finance companies and banks are closed. Unit sales are the life blood of the store, PG&A (Parts, Garments & Accessories) sales by themselves can't make enough money to justify opening the doors on that one day, and most service departments are a break even proposition as a rule every day. So if you know going in that you aren't going to be profitable, but you are going to create staffing problems and increase your overhead, why would you do it?

Bruce

OH! Now there's the best comment that I've read that would change my mind! I did not give any thought to the financing and you are correct Bruce. Thanks for pointing that out! :rockon: I'll say that, based on that, yes, I can see why Sunday is not a viable option for a place that cannot make the larger sales because of this limitation.

I'd still like to see a couple late nights though! ;)

Sorry guys I still don't buy it:
-The Bank (9-5) M-R and (9-6) on F. Yet for your entire life you have managed to get in there at some point, lunch break, leave a bit early... something to get your $$ in the bank. the banks have on line banking - 24/7 ATM machines - bank branches in supermarkets that are open on Sundays. They have worked very hard to accommodate their customers

-The DMV. State owned outfit. You have to go get your license renew... you come in a bit late to work because you are first in line at 8 am to get in and get out.We can do license and registration renewals on line or by phone 24/7

There are many things that everyone deals with on a day to day to basic, in which special plans need to be made. Hours can not be adjusted to fit everyones needs, it will never happen. Make your plans accordingly, its not that difficult, plan ahead. Make sacrifices if needed. If it means missing lunch so you can go try on some new lids at the local shop, well that is your choice. Food or pleasure...Not a matter of food or pleasure, it's a matter of how much time you have for lunch

If the market can support a shop to be open on Sundays, then they will. But do some research, see how many shops are open on Sundays, vs. how many are not. The largest Victory dealer in the country and also one of the largest used dealers is open every Sunday and I go there quite often on Sundays to browse. they are always busy in new, used and accessories sales and if they make a sale on
Sunday that needs financing they take a deposit by check, cash or credit card on Sunday and run the sale through for the financing on Monday.
Then in your area, see if you can find the amount of revenue your local town brings in on a Sunday. There is a reason why shops are not open... The $$ and customer base just isn't there. I heard something from my father or someone in the industry some where and that is, 90% of a shops money comes from 10% of their customers. That 10% is the racersI don't believe this for a minute. The majority of bikes on the road are ridden by the average guy not racers. Look at the cruisers or day commuters on the roads on a nice weekend day, they are NOT at the track on Sunday and they buy new bikes and used bikes and lots of gear and Farkle the crap out of their bikes and hardcore riders. Where do you think they are on Sunday, where do you think the last place they want to be is on Sunday?

-bryan

I see who are open around here on Sunday's, throwing open houses and demo rides and are attracting crowds, they are the ones selling bikes. And this boo-hoo attitude about not wanting to work hours other than 8-5 because I want to have a family life is ridiculous. The majority of retail operations are open hours other than 8-5 and you think that all of the people working retail in this country have given up their family life?? Come on, you do what you have to do to make a living and you find time to have your "family life" around the time you need to be at work. It happens millions of time a day for millions of people working retail or swing shifts or second shifts or doctors or nurses or police or fire........ And they are GOOD FAMILY PEOPLE!!

Last edited:
McCary and Less have both brought up valid points, but I'm still with Less on this issue.

I think it's becasue most dealers take that attitude of "well all the other shops are closed and that's the way it's always been".

Where there is a will there is a way. The legal issues; fair enough. If the law says you can't be open then what can you do. But if car dealerships and other bike shops have found a way to sell inventory on Sundays, then why can't others....becasue they choose not to, for whatever reason (out riding, family, etc.).

As far as making 'personal sacrifices' in regards to family, lets be honest...there are many, many. many people working much harder jobs, much longer hours or multiple shift work (by nessesity or choice) that find a way. It's not easy or ideal, but they make it work. Besides, who says the store owner with the family who loves to ride has to even work at the shop on weekends??? That's why you hire weekend staff and have store managers for!! You don't need to be a rider or a racer to sell bikes or parts!

I agree, enough with the "boo hooo I want to ride on Sundays" crap. Make your choice, running a successful business or riding for a few hours one day of the week. Priorites. And where did this "everybody rides on Sunday" come from anyway?!?! That's a pretty large blanket statement to make. It's not like church where Sunday is the ONLY day one can go to church. I see just as many riders out on a Saturday as I do on a Sunday. I don't wake up and go "hey it's Sunday, time to gear up and spend all day on the bike!"

I just still can't believe that a shop would be consistantly more busy say on a Tuesday or Wednesday than a Sunday...especially during riding season?!

Obviously location and population would play a lot into it. Mom and pop shops in less poopulated areas, fair enough but I can't see how major cities couldn't make this work.

Next time I'm at one of my local dealers I'm going to grill them (ask) about this very issue and see what response I get.

Last edited:
I agree, enough with the "boo hooo I want to ride on Sundays" crap. Make your choice, running a successful business or riding for a few hours one day of the week.

Except that all of these bike shops have managed to somehow both run successful businesses AND take Sunday and Monday off.

And I'm afraid that pretty much invalidates your argument.

And since they own the businesses, they get to decide how to run them. If you don't like it, open your own motorcycle shop and run it how you like. Until then, all you're doing is whining.

Fred

How am I whining?

As a CUSTOMER and a CONSUMER of their goods they are selling, I'm rasing points (some valid, some not so valid) as to why they are not open on Sundays.

As an ower of a bike shop and you know that 'everyone' is out and about riding the bikes on Sunday, would it not make sence to be open? This is what I can't get past. It's like if you go fishing and on every Sunday they re-stock the lake with tons of fish, but also close it to fishing.... So you now have motorcycles abound zooming past your 'closed' store.....

Ok, I might have embelished a few things here and there. Like I said, instead of "whining" about it, I will go ask my dealer directly and see waht they say and report back.

But as you and others have said Fred, if it was working, I guess they would be open.

I can accept the fact that the may never be open on Sundays, but dosen't mean I have to agree with it. And yes I am well aware that the world probably dosent give a rats a$$ about waht I think. :) (...it should...)

Last edited:
Except that all of these bike shops have managed to somehow both run successful businesses AND take Sunday and Monday off.

And I'm afraid that pretty much invalidates your argument.

And since they own the businesses, they get to decide how to run them. If you don't like it, open your own motorcycle shop and run it how you like. Until then, all you're doing is whining.

Fred

I guess he can't express that he would like some innovators in the market without "whining". He's just talking about a perplexing situation. I know it would be difficult to run a business, but I also know that if a ton of my customers wanted something, I'd want them to say something, even if it were only a few, I'd want to hear about it.

"everybody rides on Sunday" come from anyway?!?! That's a pretty blanket statement to make.

No more so than your (and others) statements and opinions in this thread have been. This very thread is a blanket statement... In fact there are dealerships open on Sundays. Just because a shop might be open on Sunday doesn't mean it will be successful, on that day or over all. If I had a shop next to say the BRP, or off the Cherohala or Dragon then you darn tootin' I'd be open all week-end. But because we are located several blocks off a major highway and can't easily be seen from it, are in a business district around other business' that are closed on Sunday it would do me no good what so ever to be there. You statement about 'thats the way it's always been' is assumes a tremendous amount and gives no credit to anyone for having any business sense about them at all. And couldn't be further from the truth. Do you really think that most of us have considered what would be best for our business, customers and employee's and just go blindly about our way?

And the statement that was made about not having to be a racer or rider to sell parts... while true to a certain point, how about doing a search on this forum alone a find how many threads and posts there are about dealership employees not knowing what they are doing or knowing what they are doing. There was one not too long back where someone was bitching because the parts guy didn't agree with using the diesel oil and cheapo wally world filter of choice of many of the members of this forum. I can tell you from years of experience that the best bike shop employees are indeed riders. Not to mention you've got to have a passion for it, 'cause there sure ain't no money in it...

Bruce

If I had a shop next to say the BRP, or off the Cherohala or Dragon then you darn tootin' I'd be open all week-end. But because we are located several blocks off a major highway and can't easily be seen from it, are in a business district around other business' that are closed on Sunday it would do me no good what so ever to be there.

Good point.

You statement about 'thats the way it's always been' is assumes a tremendous amount and gives no credit to anyone for having any business sense about them at all. And couldn't be further from the truth. Do you really think that most of us have considered what would be best for our business, customers and employee's and just go blindly about our way?

I agree, but honestly I have to seriously wonder with some shops. Crappy customers service, poor selection of merchandise. But you're right, that was an unfair statement by me.

And the statement that was made about not having to be a racer or rider to sell parts... while true to a certain point, how about doing a search on this forum alone a find how many threads and posts there are about dealership employees not knowing what they are doing or knowing what they are doing.

Well for me persoanlly I usually don't rely on the parts guy for anymore than ordering the actual part (I don't really trust them to do much more than that to be honest). I do the research and give them the part number and in some cases know more about the part than they do. Again, an issuse of customer service that obviously differs from shop to shop.

I can tell you from years of experience that the best bike shop employees are indeed riders. Not to mention you've got to have a passion for it, 'cause there sure ain't no money in it...

Agreed and appreciate your input.

I'm obviously skewing my 'global views' on this issue with some of the expericneces I've had at my local dealerships.

Guess it all comes down to "is it profitable".

Last edited:
Fred, if every business took your approach there would never be any change or innovation.

We all used to talk about "Bankers Hours" and for many years banks all did pretty well for many with 9-4 M-Fs (until the recent banking crisis). But they have been some of the most creative in finding ways to service their customers with Non-traditional ways of doing business.

And, how many bike shops are really doing well nowadays? Harley is laying off people and shutting down production. Honda is stopping production of bikes here in the states. Except for the dealers than had a big run on smaller commuter bikes last year when gas prices went over $4.00/gal. most bike shops I know of are struggling to make it. Most have taken in other recreational products to expand the sales possibilities and hopefully take in some winter business in the colder climates with Snowmobiles and ATVs.

Isn't expanding your product line just another way of offering more opportunities to sell to your customers. And isn't bringing in more smaller bikes to satisfy the surge in small bike sales reacting to your customers needs and wants? No different than expanding your hours.

Back