Winter commuting

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is no way I would try and ride up the valleys of Ponty. That would be a suicide mission lol.

Nelly

haha..theres a fine line between bravery and stupidity..never mind the weather in the valleys..you'd be lucky to get out of Ponty with your bike..lol

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy Crap Nelly. You got some big Kahuna's riding in that. :thumbup:
Good job staying upright... Keep it that way.

NICE!!!

What tires are you running?

chains....

I think the tyre's he's running look something like this... :rof:

9-400.jpg

:)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy Crap Nelly. You got some big Kahuna's riding in that. :thumbup:
Good job staying upright... Keep it that way.

I think the tyre's he's running look something like this... :rof:

9-400.jpg

:)
LOL, see mate ice isn't just for sticking in your Bundy's.

Nelly

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oi my Mums from Ponty, .

Nelly

Did i say ponty!??...i meant erm...merthyr...yeah merthyr is terrible..lol..nice rides up that way tho..i love riding in Brecon..you ever been up that way??

speaking of the valleys ..have you ever watched "taff wars" on youtube..very funny

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done, Nelly.

I roll out in just about any weather. I alway say that the only thing that forces me onto 4 wheels is ice. I accidentally broke that rule last week. It's a bit scary, for sure, but it's not all that bad. Just stay smooth and verticle. Of course I was on the super light XT225 with knobbies.. so it's a BIG difference to be sure.

I do want to get studs for the XT and some good dual sport rubber for the fazer next winter. Maybe even studs for the fazer?? nahhhhh.

Oh, and you mentioned getting/building a hack. GREAT IDEA. I really want to do that myself. If only I could find a way to ride in the sidecar when it drops below 20F / -6C.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did i say ponty!??...i meant erm...merthyr...yeah merthyr is terrible..lol..nice rides up that way tho..i love riding in Brecon..you ever been up that way??

speaking of the valleys ..have you ever watched "taff wars" on youtube..very funny
I will check it out (taff wars), I have been on courses in merthyr. Nice roads.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done, Nelly.

I roll out in just about any weather. I alway say that the only thing that forces me onto 4 wheels is ice. I accidentally broke that rule last week. It's a bit scary, for sure, but it's not all that bad. Just stay smooth and verticle. Of course I was on the super light XT225 with knobbies.. so it's a BIG difference to be sure.

I do want to get studs for the XT and some good dual sport rubber for the fazer next winter. Maybe even studs for the fazer?? nahhhhh.

Oh, and you mentioned getting/building a hack. GREAT IDEA. I really want to do that myself. If only I could find a way to ride in the sidecar when it drops below 20F / -6C.
A sidecar would be class, can you imagine it.

Nelly

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Good on you Neil. I wouldn't. Not on ice. My car nearly didn't get to the top of some hills; the tyres were just spinning up.

The frost on your pic looks suspiciously like you left your FZ6 outside. In freezing temperatures. Overnight

I ight have to report you to the RSPCM

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike never defrosted from being stuck out all day at work:confused:
I got home in the dark and don't have power in my garage so I couldn't see to rinse it off.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Surely that's a project that needs doing. I couldn't imagine not having the radio on when fettling
I have batteries in me radio lol. If we were staying in Reading then I would have thought about power. In Ireland I have a huge barn to stick Norman in.

Nelly

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Mate its a fair comment,
I did drop my bike on Monday slipping over getting it out of the garage.
The crash bobbins ensured that nothing breakable hit the deck. It really reinforced in my mind that I am going to get a winter hack, maybe even a quad?
I am very short and the FZ6 is to heavy for me in high drop conditions.
Until the hack arrives I will still keep riding the FZ6.

Nelly

Dude, seriously dont ride your bike in this weather. Its so dangerous as it is. You may be a good rider but even the best cant stay clear of ice...not only could you damage the bike but yourself.

Hold out for the next few days, its ment to be better after the weekend.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, seriously dont ride your bike in this weather. Its so dangerous as it is. You may be a good rider but even the best cant stay clear of ice...not only could you damage the bike but yourself.

Hold out for the next few days, its ment to be better after the weekend.
Thanks for your concern Scorph, the main roads are pretty good, its just a bit tricky getting on to them. Slow and steady.
I won't be riding my FZ6 in Offaly, they do not grit and there is to many country bends.
Definitely in the market to get a quad.

Nelly

B

bluenova

the main roads are pretty good, its just a bit tricky getting on to them. Slow and steady.

Nelly

Exactly the same for me. I'm still riding, the mainroads are fine, it's just the 1 or 2 kms of getting to the mains roads that's a bit hairy. I just take it very slowly till I get to the good roads, if I stay loose it's fine, the main hazard to look out for is when the road banks and your rear moves out from the weight of the bike, not a nice feeling and you have to catch it quickly to keep skyward.

I must say it better be a bloody good summer after this crappy winter.