04 fz6 been sitting fuel pump issue

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dropping the radiator takes like a minute. You leave all of the hoses connected, remove two bolts and walla. Free space!

Good luck!

Bruno1989

Reaction score
Visit site
got the pump in ( thanks anyways cali rider- probably would of gotten it faster from you )

swapped the plugs to the old ones in case the new ones were fouled, and they were slightly wet ( after attempting to start a few times )

still no go, engine may have stumbled once or twice but that may have been wishful thinking

have the airbox off, idk if that would effect starting

also there are small tufts/air pressure coming from one of the three breather hoses ( I guess theyre breather hoses ) that plug into the airbox, thought that was weird

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you smell fuel or it won't start normally, hold the throttle WIDE OPEN and DO NOT CLOSE.

Crank for 5-6 seconds or so at a time. Let the starter cool a little, repeat. That will clear out any excess fuel.

Bruno1989

Reaction score
Visit site
So after trying the WOT for days on end I read something on voltage dropping from battery when starting and thought I was losing a little much, can't remember values right now, so replaced starter relay.

Bike cranked with WOT throttle and stayed on for about 15 secs, like it had before, sounded good but wouldn't idle and then died.

Have tried a few other times and the motor is turning great, almost cranking but falling short before I worry about the starter getting too hot, because both the starter and relay get warm to touch after 6 or 7 4/5second runs of the starter

I was trying to get voltages on the lean sensor and couldn't get even readings, it bounces around w values >.5 with the sensor in the correct/upright pos

when I tilted it or really touched it at all it would jump up between 1.8-4.4 but only for a second and then drop back down to less than .5 while still in a tilted pos. Also it did throw the error 30 code when tilted so i guess it's working? Maybe my leads weren't tucked in good to the plug, it just makes me want to replace the sensor as well.

I know it's been a while, just haven't had time to work on or post until the last few days, hopefully it's not too old of a thread!

After reading some more I might try testing my PR on the fuel pump as well, I really need to set up a pressure test on the fuel as it still could be an issue in my mind at this point

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK - you made me look up an old post. The pump body has no check valve but the pump motor assembly does!
From Post # 2 here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...uel-pump-battery-charging-brake-bleeding.html
FuelPumpCutAway_zps8b0a5e55.png~original

So that explains that. It also implies the OP's **could have** a serious leak where the pump is not seated to the housing correctly or the valve is stuck open OR somehow fuel has a path from the tank to the exit. Like a crack or missing/damaged O-ring.

FWIW: I tend to error on the side of caution and propped the hose up while doing the valve clearance adjustment as it had 5 gallon of fuel which could siphon onto the ground and ruin life as I know it!

One thing I didn't state here with this being a non-OEM replacement component, for all we know it does not have a check valve built into the pump...
Possible...