'07 price for new bike reasonable?

Imperitas

Reaction score
Visit site
I found this forum by a yahoo search and have read quite a bit as I have been interested in the FZ6 for a LONG time.
This definately seems like a nice forum as I have noticed the typical junk and bs in posts that a lot of forums have.

I have been riding an ex500 for about 3 years and am just ready to move up to something faster.

Anyway, a local dealer has an new '07 in blue that I have my eye on, well my eye has been on it for over a year now!

They want:
5899 for the bike
199 doc fee
448 freight/setup
55 tag
198 3% sales tax
------
$6898 out the door

Thats about the exact price they want but may be slightly less.

Is this reasonable. I mean its almost at 2 years old, the second I ride off the lot im screwed with it being an '07, and at that price, I may as well get an '08 or wait on the '09.

I have seen the threads with all the prices in them but wanted an opinion more recent and specific to a new '07.

My thought is that I would pay in the neighborhood of $6k otd.

I am in North Carolina.....

Any thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated.

The DOC fee is complete BS and you should never pay it! It is simply an add-on cost and has nothing to do with the processing of the vehicle, otherwise they would add it on before tax. Don't pay it! /rant.

Well? I'll chime in and tell you that isn't a good deal. I got my '08 on April for $6418 OTD but we don't have sales tax. However, add in the taxes you'll pay and it is still a bad deal. What are they asking for the '08? '09? The MSRP for the '08 is only $6,999.

What is killing you is the freight/setup. I'd shop around and/or ask them to lower that fee a great deal.

How many dealers are close enough to visit?

Good luck and :welcome: to the forum! I hope you DO find a great deal... you will LOVE this bike!

I got my 2008 FZ6 in early August for $6420 out the door. That included tax, title and plate. They even threw in a nice full face helmet. It seems your local dealer needs to sharpen his pencil a bit. For that price, you might as well get yourself a 2009 bike, instead of a 2 year old model.

"N NO WAY!" I paid $6800 OTD (this means EVERYTHING including 7.5% tax) in Nov., 2007 for a 2007 FZ6.

They are HIGH BALLING you! Yeah, I agree with others; s/b 6K or under!

Tailgate

Well, I bought my '07, new, in June, 2007. It went like this:

5,999.03 Bike
179.97 Tax
45.00 Title

6224.00 Out the door.

I just purchased a used '07 FZ6 w/ 5,500 miles for $5,500 OTD at a dealer in vegas. I was really wanting the bike and probably could've done better on craigslist or ebay but the dealer did a thorough inspection which I think is key on a used bike. Good luck, you'll love the bike!

Yeah, I thought they were crazy. But, they (bike dealer or car dealer) always start at the top. I thought they would be willing to let it go being that it's an '07 and likely been there for a year and half.

There are 2 other dealers in the area but I would have to go up to the '08. I just really like the yam blue.

My goal was 6k out the door and if not, no go. I have been tying my tail in not over whether to buy this bike or not...

I guess well see if they want to move it.

I appreciate all the responses..Sometimes emotions can take over and I am so sick of the ex500 that my judgement was becoming cloudy.

I'll post the outcome.

Well, worse case scenario is that you'll move from a Kawasaki to a Yamaha FZ-6.

Now, that's worth whatever you pay!:rockon:

Well, the dealer said 6690 is the best they will do on the bike out the door. It's still several hundred too much. I would go to 6300 out the door but that's it. Looks like no fz6 for me.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Tell them by end of next month the bike will be 2 models old.

Did you deal with the owner? I can see them holding out if it's a R6 but not FZ6.

As others have said that is not a very good deal. Don't do what I did and give in, and pay too much.

2007 YAMAHA FZ6 for sale in Matthews, NC: SPORTBIKE - CycleTrader.com

There are deals in your neighborhood and within your price range. :D

Thanks for the links. The new '07 advertised is the one I have been trying to work a deal on. That's the one that ends up being 6690 out the door. They originally wanted like 900 for setup/freight + 199 doc fee. The salesman advised they were "working with me" by reducing the setup/freight to around 498. That ended up at 6896. They came back today with 6690 and said that is all they will do and I didn't ask where they came off at.

I am going to price an '08 and see what I am looking at there. If it's substantially higher than the '07 deal, than maybe their price is inline. I belive they have the only '07 model (new) for several hundred miles...I was tyring to stay '07 and up as my belief is the on/off throttle response had been greatly improved and the power went up starting in '07. I also can stand the round tach/speedometer in one thing on the '06.

I am trying to stay new due to yamaha offering financing for upto 72 months at 7.99%.

Anyway, the '06 looks nice and the mileage is low. I am actually waiting to hear back from that dealer on an '08 quote.

I have bought several cars but it seems these motorycle dealers are 100 times worse than the car dealers. They reduce these motorcycles only to simply add it back in bs setup/freight/doc fees. I guess they don't move enough inventory to deal that much.

Last edited:
Here's some rambling on the subject....None of this is necessarily good advice - it's my strategy. I got my 07 for $6K OTD back in early July. Sure - I think I could have done better (especially in a depressed, seasonal state like Michigan), but that was still below my bottom line and I was able to get there. Having cash in hand helped I think. If you need to finance they know you want it bad.

Anyway, here's how I do it....

I always start the deal by being friendly and supportive of them - making it clear that I know what I'm talking about. Firm....yet gentle....This seems to help when it's time to haggle later. Sometimes I'll look over different bikes and get a feel for what the salesperson knows....do the sales thing in reverse on them (ask them about their riding experience, chat about kids, etc.) They like this since they get comfortable and they feel like it's going well. In reality, they also expose how shockingly little they know about what they're selling and I can sometimes get a psychological advantage if they come to think I'm more knowledgable. Telling them I'm a teacher also helps and seems to put me more in a position of being in control (it also tells them that I'm not rich!). Being a 'serious buyer' helps them take you seriously. A good dealer wants you to buy the bike AND buy everything that comes with it (sevice). They also know that the average person keeps a bike for something like 2.5 years! So you'll be back if the sale goes well. Fight off the urge to stare at the bike, sit on it too long, or drool. If they offer to start it up say "naw - that's ok. I've heard them below". Skip a test ride (unless you've never ridden that bike before). They'll be plenty of time for drooling when it's in your garage.

Now to deal. In my experience, the person with the most extreme (yet rational) starting point usually ends up with the better end of the deal. Starting off with a calculation showing that you understand depreciation and the correct MSRP for the bike when it was new is helpful (use the 2007 MSRP - don't let them use the MSRP for a 2009 model!). Then open with a price that is WELL below your actual 'happy price', but not insane. I actually like to propose a price first, so that it reinforces the point that I know what I'm doing and it forces them to negotiate UP from MY price (as opposed to trying to get them to lower theirs). You're in control.

Soon I will reach a dead-end with the salesperson (who has little control over prices that are actually within a reasonable range). He/she will go away a few times to consult with the manager, during which time I will sit calmly and close my eyes. They are watching you - do NOT run over and sit back on the bike when you're unattended. Don't let them know how badly you want to leap on the bike. Do not be emotional (even though you are of course!) Take a nap. Pretend you're buying a TOASTER.

Eventually, the salesperson will stop negotiating. He's in over his head now. At that point the manager will come out. If he doesn't - ask for him. Start all over again at this point. I try to be reasonable, but make it clear I'm willing to walk away. I'm usually getting tired at this point and just want to get the hell out of there. FIGHT THE URGE TO GIVE IN. They are professional sellers, so be a professional buyer. Do let them think that you'll walk away out of boredom though. I've actually gotten up and walked away twice before (as we were close to a deal both times, but they were stubborn and wouldn't go down on their offer). In the end, the manager has stopped me BOTH TIMES before I hit the door and then I KNEW I had him. Be sure they understand that you're interested in making a deal 'now' and that you understand that they're not going to make much on it. In this economy, I'd think they'd be looking to move anything they have. They'll always tell you that business is great, but they're lying (after all, they've had this bike since late 2006 and it's still there - if they knew the market or were fair to most customers it would have been sold by now). Regardless of how they act, they are at least as hungry to make the deal as you are. Never, ever forget that.

Those set-up fees are BS. They need to know that you know that, but don't accuse them of trying to con you (no one likes to think they're doing that - you want to be in control, but you don't want them on the defensive). They're entitled to something I suppose, but you're there to negotiate OTD - who cares where the money goes from your perspective - it's only what comes out of your pocket that matters! Make it clear that this is simply a business transaction for you. I always get cooler and cooler as the deal goes on. Never angry, never frustrated, just calm.......I'm buying a toaster....I'm buying a toaster....

They ALWAYS try to sell you on the fact that they have great service too.....my dealer decided that 'great service prep' somehow included a bike with almost no coolant, a loose brake caliper, and newly-scratched windshield. It's meaningless anyway. You can always go there for service whether you buy it from them or not.

All that said......you are buying a 'luxury item'. There's not that much that's terribly practical/logical about buying a motorcycle (no matter how we justify it to our wives!) When I twist the throttle and roll down the road, I've never thought "damn. I paid too much for that bike." Sometimes I've let myself get taken a bit, but for an FZ6 it should be a buyers' market right now.

If all that fails, I bring my wife. She's a MUCH better negotiator than I am. She negotiates on EVERYTHING - even at Walmart! And it WORKS! She grew up in countries where people haggle for everything like it's a yard sale. Her approach? Be insane and laugh off any suggestion that your price isn't totally reasonable. She also makes every salesperson counter-offer at least THREE TIMES before she's done (when I'm getting uncomfortable she's just getting started).

Best of luck! The FZ6 is an amazing machine.

D-Mac,

I appreciate the advice. Sorry so long on the reply.

I have talked to dealer again and no budge on the 6690 price.

I did speak with a dealer about 100 miles from me that said they didn't have an '08 but could get one. they would sell for 6900 out the door. No telling if they could actually get one. That dealer said there were only 6-7 2008 models showing in NC & SC.

Anyway, I am going to do a little more searching and if nothing comes up, I am going to hang it up until spring. Hopefully, there will be a couple used '07 models with low mileage for sale.

Do what I did. Print some of these posts and bring them into you your dealer.

I found a couple of guys on this site that bought from dealers in my area. I went to the only dealer with an 08 on the floor, and bought it for $6600 OTD in May (bought in NH so no sales tax).

He started with all the B.S. fees and was up to $7300 or so, then I pulled the printout out and said here's a guy that bought it at Cycles 128 for $6600, and another that bought one a Parkway Cycles for $6600. If you want to match the price I'll sign right now. If not, I'll just go to one of those dealers. They matched the price right there. The whole negotiation took about 2 minutes.

Since you are looking at an 07 in October, you should be able to swing a much better deal than me!

John

Last edited:
Back