26k Major service

Mikeyc22

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi just wondering what the entire list of things changed in a 26k miles major service. I know about the valve clearance check, just wondering whether to do it myself or get a stamp in my book as its an important service...

How much should I expect to pay for this at a yamaha garage & a motorcycle garage, and which one would you recommend?

Also if anyone has a guide on how to adjust the valves can you post a link here?

Thanks!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you're in the UK? Your cost will be much different than ours here in the states. Most have done their valve checks on their own, but I'm not a wrencher so I had the dealership do mine. FWIW, for those who have done there's at 26k miles, they have been within specs for most members. I did mine at 70k miles:spank:. Surprisingly, not too bad. Yes, some were off, but for the most part not too bad. If you get yours done, that is a good time to change out your spark plugs as well.

Mikeyc22

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I am from the UK and iv'e had a slight ticking noise for about 3000 miles, was thinking it could be something to do worth valves as its now due, as regards to spark plugs is it worth getting iridium or can they cause problems?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I am from the UK and iv'e had a slight ticking noise for about 3000 miles, was thinking it could be something to do worth valves as its now due, as regards to spark plugs is it worth getting iridium or can they cause problems?

The ticking sound is usually an indication that your Cam Chain or Cam Chain tensioner has become loose or stretched. If you ignore it, your Crankshaft Position Sensor could grind away against the internals of your engine, causing your engine to sieze. You will not be able to get it started once it seizes. Or if you do, it will only be temporary. Your bike will turn over, but will not start. Depending on your bike, you may just need to do a minor adjustment or replacement. For me, I had everything replaced when I had my valves checked. I had the Cam Chain replaced, along with the guides, plugs, etc. Only because replacing the tensioner did not fix my problem.

As far as iridiums, I got over 50k miles out of them, and only replaced them because it was convenient at the time. I did not notice any difference in performance from the stock with the exception of it's longevity. Some have noticed a decrease in MPG when the Iridiums were installed.

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
34K miles here and still haven't gotten around to doing a valve check/adjustment. All I've changed is spark plugs, air filters, oil, coolant, brake pads, brake fluid, tires, and chain. Bike still runs like a champ and returns 40-55 MPG every time.

Last edited:

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on when you've did last service.

If everything is up-to-date I would do Valves and lube swingarm bearings. Both jobs are not hard but because of exhaust design, swingarm removal requires removing almost whole rear end:

View attachment 52043

If it was quite a while since last service I would go with full-circle and add:
- brakes (check pads + flush fluid)
- fork oil change
- spark plugs replacement
- coolant change
- lube throttle+clutch cables
- check and lube steering head bearings
- check and lube wheel bearings

I've did pay only once for valve check on my bike (but it wasn't FZ6) and it cost me ~400 USD. Since that time I'm doing most of maintenance on my own.

Here is thread with pretty good description how to do valves: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/47593-valve-clearance-check.html

It's probably more there :) Just use search function :)