Anyone Have a R6S?

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Like the title says does anyone have a R6S? If so how does it compare to the FZ6? My only experience is on a 2006 R6R and a 2014 R6R.

I'm thinking about picking up a R6 to park next to my FZ6 in the garage. I'd use it for track days and the occasional back road blast.

I really want the R6R, but it's a little bit more money than I'd feel comfortable doing track days with.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Never ridden one, but The R6S is the same bike as the 03-04 R6, so you may be able to find one of those for even cheaper since its older. The 05's kept the same body style but got inverted forks. Erci has one as his track bike.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Never ridden one, but The R6S is the same bike as the 03-04 R6, so you may be able to find one of those for even cheaper since its older. The 05's kept the same body style but got inverted forks. Erci has one as his track bike.

True, the 03-05 is in my consideration. Just a bit harder to find a clean one. I'm looking for a bike for about $5,000 that hasn't been crashed and doesn't have high miles (less than 15,000).

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '05 R6 track bike and love it. It's not even close to stock, a former AMA super stock bike. It is a rocket ship. Even with today's 600SS bikes. Check out the WERA classifieds to get an idea of track bike prices. $5000 will get you a very nicely built bike.

Last edited:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '05 R6 track bike and love it. It's not even close to stock, a former AMA super stock bike. It is a rocket ship. Even with today's 600SS bikes. Check out the WERA classifieds to get an idea of track bike prices. $5000 will get you a very nicely built bike.

There's some good deals on there, unfortunately, they almost never come with the street plastics.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I've got a 05 for the track. Picked mine up for a great price.. it has scrapes on one side from a driveway tip-over. Got it for 3.2k.

Of course I've now low-sided it at 60+, but it's still good :D

How does it compare to FZ6? Well.. it's lighter, sharper handling at speed, pulls quite a bit harder at higher RPM.

Ergonomics are actually more forgiving, compared to R6R.. that bike is quite torturous, but to each his own when it comes to this point. Outstanding track bike. Still too aggressive for me for the street though, as far as comfort goes.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I've got a 05 for the track. Picked mine up for a great price.. it has scrapes on one side from a driveway tip-over. Got it for 3.2k.

Of course I've now low-sided it at 60+, but it's still good :D

How does it compare to FZ6? Well.. it's lighter, sharper handling at speed, pulls quite a bit harder at higher RPM.

Ergonomics are actually more forgiving, compared to R6R.. that bike is quite torturous, but to each his own when it comes to this point. Outstanding track bike. Still too aggressive for me for the street though, as far as comfort goes.

So the real question then is, if you were in my position would you try to pick up a 03-05 R6 / 06-09 R6S and save money for track days, or go with a R6R and have a bit less left over for track days?

I guess what I'm getting at is, are you happy with the older R6? or do you wish you would have spent an extra $1,500 - $2,000 on the newer model?

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
What's your level of track day experience? You just getting started with them? Or have you been doing track days for a few years?

If the former, you'll have equal amount of fun on the track on any bike. An extra $2000 in your pocket will buy you a lot of track time.

Myself, I did 2 track days in 2010 and was like, meh. Then I did one in 2013 and knew I wanted to do more in 2014. So over the 2013-2014 winter time, I searched for a cheap (<$1500) bike which I could use as a track day beater. That's how I ended up with my 99 F4. Sure it's not the newest and fastest bike out there, but for my purposes, it's great. I don't mind that it's not pretty, and it keeps me from needing to track-prep my FZ6 each time.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
What's your level of track day experience? You just getting started with them? Or have you been doing track days for a few years?

If the former, you'll have equal amount of fun on the track on any bike. An extra $2000 in your pocket will buy you a lot of track time.

Myself, I did 2 track days in 2010 and was like, meh. Then I did one in 2013 and knew I wanted to do more in 2014. So over the 2013-2014 winter time, I searched for a cheap (<$1500) bike which I could use as a track day beater. That's how I ended up with my 99 F4. Sure it's not the newest and fastest bike out there, but for my purposes, it's great. I don't mind that it's not pretty, and it keeps me from needing to track-prep my FZ6 each time.

I'v only done two track days, so I'm very much a rookie.

That being said, this is going to be a street/track bike for me. I'll keep the FZ6 for longer riders, but I'll mostly be riding this bike around.

So looks do play into the equation and the newer R6 is a stunner, but you sure can pay for a lot of track days with the price difference.

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the FZ6 would make a fairly decent starter track bike, but I love it too much as a road bike to risk destroying it on track due to inexperience. What I wouldn't mind is a high mileage '98 R1 or similar period R6 for very little money so I can throw slicks on there and do some easy course track days... wonder how much I'd have to pay?

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the FZ6 would make a fairly decent starter track bike, but I love it too much as a road bike to risk destroying it on track due to inexperience. What I wouldn't mind is a high mileage '98 R1 or similar period R6 for very little money so I can throw slicks on there and do some easy course track days... wonder how much I'd have to pay?

eh... the FZ6 isn't very confidence inspiring on the track or the street for that matter. I track it anyways, but I'd rather have two bikes in case something happens. I was originally just going to upgrade the suspension and brakes on the FZ6, but by time I did that.... Well it would make sense to just buy a proper supersport.

I'v rode my buddies Daytona 675 through some good corners by my house and it's just amazing how much easier it is to ride fast compared to the FZ6.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Main reason I would go with r6s is because it's more forgiving. 6r is a scalpel. Save the money on bike and use it to do more track days.