Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed

JHM

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set from TheRetrofitSource that i have been running in my truck for the last 3 years with good results, one lamp and one relay failure in that time.
I am planning to do a dual projector install this winter, probably wont bother with angel eyes tho.

matt.fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a couple sets from TheRetrofitSource. A set in my car and a set in the bike. Both sets have so far given me minimal issues. I've had to warranty a ballast in the car, but I found dealing with TRS super easy and trouble free. I've had the retrofit kit in the bike for almost 2 years now, and have not had any issue so far (knock on wood).

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a couple sets from TheRetrofitSource. A set in my car and a set in the bike. Both sets have so far given me minimal issues. I've had to warranty a ballast in the car, but I found dealing with TRS super easy and trouble free. I've had the retrofit kit in the bike for almost 2 years now, and have not had any issue so far (knock on wood).

Also there is a sale going on right now for the fourth. This is literally the best time to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
My el-cheapo eBay projectors still work fine after a few years, but I barely ride my FZ6 any more... One of my high-low beam shutters is a bit sticky, but it eventually cooperates.

I do need to adjust both projectors to point a bit to the outside, since the light spread is less than optimal when leaned over in turns.

Still one of the best mods that I did to the bike.

I wonder if LED mods will offer similar light output? I love the massive light from the HID lamps, but am curious if LEDs will match that.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If they come out with projector LED lamps they may match the HID but my current experience with replacement LED in the stock reflectors had been less than optimal. Since there is no winter to speak of here, I will probably buy a headlamp assembly and install HID projectors so I will have minimal down time. When I do that I will also make a circuit to eliminate hot starting the HID. I will keep the headlights off and latch them on once the engine is running.
The FZ6 already does that function with the headlamps so there is no need to modify it to keep it from hot starting the HID lights. :)

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
HID's are the best mod I did to my bike. I went the same way with having a spare housing and doing the retrofit on it before removing the old headlight. I have never had an issue with hot start though and I run HID's in my car also. it is a pretty easy project for the seasoned but take your time. I will predict the hardest part is finding a sutiable location and method of mounting the ballasts that you are happy with. good luck

vrijesh

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

This is my first post - I've been on this forum for some time following advises and maintenance tips - top notch tips and help here!! I've been enjoying my 2006 FZ6 (purchased last year with less than 5000 miles on it last year from an elderly gentleman who garage-kept it most of the time). Ever since, I've been wanting to switch the stock headlights with the BI-Xenon angel eyes. I purchased the kit from ebay about 6 months back - it included the ballast and wiring harness in the kit, but have been unable to find proper step by step instructions. I've been on this site and others often looking for info. But after looking through about 23 pages on this post today, I had almost given up (since posts were almost 10 years old and all links to images, instructions are no longer working), I figured I might as well take a look at the last page and see when it died... imagine my surprise to see this post revived with replies today!!

So figured I'd post here to see if anyone has any detailed instructions on how to get this mod done on a 2006 FZ6? I am also thinking of painting the reflectors black and adding LED light strips to the top of the housing. I am so hoping someone here has so detailed instructions saved away some place that they could share with me! I would sooo appreciate it!!

Thank you!
VJ

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

This is my first post - I've been on this forum for some time following advises and maintenance tips - top notch tips and help here!! I've been enjoying my 2006 FZ6 (purchased last year with less than 5000 miles on it last year from an elderly gentleman who garage-kept it most of the time). Ever since, I've been wanting to switch the stock headlights with the BI-Xenon angel eyes. I purchased the kit from ebay about 6 months back - it included the ballast and wiring harness in the kit, but have been unable to find proper step by step instructions. I've been on this site and others often looking for info. But after looking through about 23 pages on this post today, I had almost given up (since posts were almost 10 years old and all links to images, instructions are no longer working), I figured I might as well take a look at the last page and see when it died... imagine my surprise to see this post revived with replies today!!

So figured I'd post here to see if anyone has any detailed instructions on how to get this mod done on a 2006 FZ6? I am also thinking of painting the reflectors black and adding LED light strips to the top of the housing. I am so hoping someone here has so detailed instructions saved away some place that they could share with me! I would sooo appreciate it!!

Thank you!
VJ
Try this: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...-stage-iii-projector-retrofit.html#post558969

vrijesh

Reaction score
Visit site

Thank you Motogiro - That post gives me excellent directions to go about it. Just finished 1 and 2 in that list before I saw your reply :)
However, taking out the headlight assembly, I noticed that what I purchased might have been 2 x lights for the H4 side - 2 x 2.5" HALO Projector kits

2x 2.5" Motorcycle Bike HID BI-XENON Headlight Projector Kit Halo Angel Eye 55W | eBay

So do I need to get a HID kit specific for the H7 side or can I 'dremel' the H7 side to fit the H4 (will I need additional wiring?)

Thank you for the incredible support already.. looking forward to moving to the next step.

vrijesh

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry if this is a double post but I could not see my reply to motogiro's quote. So posting as a reply to this thread.

Thank you Motogiro for the post link - very helpful info. I had just completed steps 1 & 2 before I saw your reply. Looking forward to the next steps.
However, I do have another question - once I removed the headlight assembly from the frame, I noticed the H4 and H7 side openings were different sizes. The HID kit I purchased from ebay is 2 x 2.5" HID HALO kits. The posting mentioned it would fit both H4 and H7.

It is the same as this one except only the Halo, no angel/devil light.
2x 2.5" Motorcycle Bike HID BI-XENON Headlight Projector Kit Halo Angel Eye 55W | eBay

Do I need to buy another kit for the H7 side?

Thank you again.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The forum software may be seeing you as a spammer for some reason, one reason being your new as well.

The H4 and H7 socket are different sockets sizes in the reflector. The HID projectors should be for 2 (correction)H4 type lamp replacements. The original setup is for one H7 and one H4 but since you are doing projectors it's to your advantage to have a projector that has a shutter so that you have high and low beam function in both eyes of the headlamp assembly. You will be opening the original H7 and H4 holes in the reflector to facilitate both of your new projector assemblies.

Last edited:

vrijesh

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again!

The ebay listing said the projectors work for both Hi/Lo. So how do I make sure there is a shutter included - open the projector assembly up? Package has 1 H/L Relay harness that connects to both projectors. So I assume the projectors are setup to handle high/low?

And by "opening the original H7 and H4 holes", do you mean I dremel it out? What would be the safest way to open it up without accidentally destroying the reflectors? I am curious to see how the ebay seller listed it fits both H4 and H7.

And I do see both my posts now.. so looks like I am set up right now :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again!

The ebay listing said the projectors work for both Hi/Lo. So how do I make sure there is a shutter included - open the projector assembly up? Package has 1 H/L Relay harness that connects to both projectors. So I assume the projectors are setup to handle high/low?

And by "opening the original H7 and H4 holes", do you mean I dremel it out? What would be the safest way to open it up without accidentally destroying the reflectors? I am curious to see how the ebay seller listed it fits both H4 and H7.

And I do see both my posts now.. so looks like I am set up right now :)

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner on this.

H4 or H7 is a lamp type. The H4 has 2 filaments and the H7 has 1 filament.

Here is an image of the H4 on the left and the H7 on the right. The H7 has a smaller mounting base from the H4.
Notice the H4 has one filament at the top where the filament has a little tub that prevents the filament from emitting light it that directing. The H4 is designed to have only one filament active at any time. Activating both filaments at the same time for any long period will cause overheating of all components including the socket for the H4. For this reason the Low beam filament on the lamp must be turned off when the high beam filament is lit. The FZ6 (Faired US version) does not do this automatic low beam cutoff because it does not use the low beam in the H4 lamp. It only uses the high beam in the eye that has the high beam. The other eye on the bike has the H7 for a low beam.
Some people hate being told you have a headlamp out as well as wanted better visibility so people wanted to use the unused the low beam filament. Since the factory did not wire the bike this way you needed to use a conversion kit or find the proper wire in the harness to make the H4 perform as a hi/lo beam.

When someone in sales or marketing uses a phrase like H4 you must be sure how they are using the description. They may be using it to describe function(Hi/Lo beam), socket size or electrical switching as for a standard H4. HID lamps don't use filaments for hi and lo beam. Naturally they use a shutter for cutoff of the light that would be the upper high beam spread of light.

There should be a 12 volt line for the shutter. Find that line and apply +12 vdc between it and the ground wire on the unit. You should hear the shutter operating...
SUPER%20WHITE%20H4%20&%20H7_zold.jpg

Last edited:

vrijesh

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for that detailed write up. Very helpful in understanding these marketing techniques the sellers use and what to look out for. While I am familiar with the basics of the H4 and H7 bulbs, your explanation helps me understand how they work and compare to HIDs, which puts the whole 'shutter' question I had into perspective.

Also, I have been reading up on other posts and see your comments are very helpful and informative - I enjoy reading your write ups just for the info they contain. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom :thumbup:

Quick question - has anyone tried adding signal lights to the headlight assembly (space in the top corner) like our european counterparts have (stock)? Saw this and wondering if it will make a nice addition to my Halo projectors with blackened out reflectors and casing.

FZ6 LED Turn Signals 2004-2008 - $44.99

vrijesh

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, please excuse my post if I am not using the right terms – I am new to “mods” but learning a lot, thanks to all the help on here!
Also, not sure if I should create a new post or keep it all here since these are related.

Ok, so made a bit more progress and things are starting to make more sense as I lay them out and see how they all go together. This also brings up more questions about completing the wiring the way I want it.

To put things in perspective, this is the setup I have in mind:

1. Add LED light strip to the top of the headlight unit (eye brow look).
2. Add a switch to turn the low beams on as needed AFTER the bike is started.
3. Both HID projectors will have Hi/Lo (they both have shutters).
4. Turn the key to the ON position – ONLY the led light strips and halo come on.
5. Start the bike – headlights are off, halo and leds stay on as DRLs.
6. Flip the (new) switch to turn on the low beams on both HIDs.
7. Use the stock switch to flip between low and hi beams on both HIDs.

I would like to connect everything up and test my setup to make sure works properly before I mount it all.
So here is all that came in the HID projector kit hooked up + the additional LED strips.

1 Setup.jpg

2 LED Strips.jpg

Questions on pic (below):
1. Where would the wires from the Halo igniters connect to (red box below)?
2. Where would the wires for the LED light strips connect to? Logic says into wherever the HALO wires connect (blue circles?).
3. I know the HID kit said no angel/devil eyes. So what are the white (going from projector to the igniters) and red/black wires (blue circles showing connection from projector to the relay harness) for, since no “eyes” on this projector? Or did I get the “eyes” too – if so, seems the hanging red and black wires (red box) from the igniter would connect in to the other set of red/white wires (blue circle) connected into the harness from the projector.

3 Halo-Extrawire.jpg

Questions on connections (below):
1. This is where I am confused (lack of knowledge of course) - The H7 power connector (green circle) - where/how do I wire this in?
2. Where would I wire in the switch (pink box)? Seems to me the logical place would be to on the route of the main power to the HIDs bulbs (in the path of #1 above??).

4 switch-power.jpg

Question on shroud below:
When removing the shroud on one of the projectors, two of the small screws simply snapped and the heads fell out. No undue force or pressure was applied.. all other screws came out fine except for two. Now the rest is stuck in there and don’t want to come out with pliers. What can I do to get them out? O can I just close it up using the 2 remaining screws and seal it somehow to prevent vibrations?

5 Shroud.jpg

Please advice!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a schematic or wiring instructions for your HID kit?

You should not need that switch because the headlight circuit does not become active until the engine has been started. If you do need the switch to keep the HID's off for some reason then the switch would go inline between the black with green tracer wire that powers the low beam on the FZ6 and the low beam wire connection in the plug n play H4 assembly on the the kit.

vrijesh

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, no instructions came with the HID kit. I found a close match on the KTMotorcycles.com for a similar kit they sell and am using it as a guide.

FZ6-HID wiring.jpg

Also, this is what is on the harness (which I think I have got set up right, but again, I am not expert):

6 Harness Wiring.jpg

Do these help?

For the switch, I want to add the ability to be able to turn off the low beams (to reduce the load) during the day, and leave only the HALO and LEDs running. I rarely do any night time riding and when I do, I can turn them on.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

vrijesh

Reaction score
Visit site

Thank you Gnyce. Yes, I found related threads after quite a bit of searching, and these were primarily LED signal lights + LED socket lights. The trick was to find the combination of making Stock Signal lights (on my bike) + LED socket lights work which I found just about an hour back on a different forum :) Pod LEDs + stock signals and no relay? - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net