Do You Own the Right Motorcycle?

See post below. Then answer. Question is in red halfway down the post.

• Total voters

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
While I am currently very happy with my bikes, I found that I am not very picky when it comes to motorcycles... you could swap both my bikes with 2 other bikes and I'd probably be just as happy (as long as one is a street bike and the other a track bike ) :)

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is a great bike and does alot of things well, but I'm always looking for something else to pick up and try. If you're 100% satisfied that an FZ6 will do everything for you, then you haven't ridden many bikes. :Flash:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish i had Jay Leno's money,and his collection of motorcycles!! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtK11FcmUps]YouTube - Jay Leno's Motorcycles[/ame] :rockon: :D

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been itching for a dirtbike/dual sport. I can't really imagine myself putting along at 40km/hr on a cruiser. I've ridden them before and I enjoy the sports bike experience tons more. Maybe if money was no objective, I'd perhaps buy a harley or chopper.

But my 2 thrills on 2 wheels are trails and corners. Dirtbikes and sportsbikes are right up my alley - as far as what I seek to experience.

Not that the fz6 lacks anything in particular, moreso its a median that helped me figure out what it is I look for in a bike. I've learned much, and wish to expand, yes - but not eliminate the fz. I still love her to death.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been lucky and have been able to own a few different bikes thus far. What i expect from a motorcycle is pretty simple: dead reliable in all conditions, comfortable and versatile.
All of the motorcycles i have owned have met these conditions in varying degrees and some even added some extra to the mix. So far, out of all the bikes i have owned, the FZ6 seems to be the best blend of them all. I know that many people here have the FZ6 as their first or near first bike, i will give some observations of my past bikes (all had more cc's than the FZ6), some things others might want to take into account when they are eager to ditch the "tiny" 600 for a liter bike.

-83 Honda CB650SC
Good: cheap, reliable, cheap, got decent gas mileage, cheap, easy to learn on, cheap
Bad: it was getting worn out, the brakes sucked, the suspension sucked, the seat sucked
Verdict: perfect bike to learn on. It is still the only bike i ever dropped and i only dropped it once. Because it was so old and warn, if it did any damage, i didn't notice.

-'04 Honda VFR 800
Good: A dramatic step from the CB, the best headlights i have ever seen on any motorcycle, looked dead sexy
Bad: wrecked it after having it 1.5 months with 4752 miles, i ran it into a ditch because i was stupid and wasn't trained to ride that bike. I learned so much from that crash.
Verdict: Awesome bike that i didn't deserve. It paid the price for my stupidity.

-'04 Honda VFR 800 (had to replace it with another!)
Good: Smooth, looked great, awesome luggage, V4+staintunes=audible sex
Bad: poor gas mileage (averaged 40mpg), proved to have "issues" (VTEC, surging, thermostat), heavy, fairings in the way of everything
Verdict: I used this VFR as my learning tool, what i should have done with the first bike. I gained so much confidence with this bike, rode around 15000 miles in a little over a year before i sold it.

-'02 BMW K1200RS
Good: OMG intoxicating torque, unbelievable smoothness, looked great
Bad: guzzles premium fuel like it's going out of style (39mpg is the best i got), terrible headlight, even more fairings to get off, HEAVY (weighing in at a good 650+, that's around 50% more than the FZ6!), had FD issues
Verdict: I am glad that i got the chance to ride/own it, even more glad i sold it after riding it 3k miles for a profit.

-07 FZ6
Good: economical (i average 47-49mpg, regular fuel), easy to work on, looks decent enough, light, more than quick enough for the type of riding i do, the best fueling i have had on any motorcycle.
Bad: needs a more powerful stator, needs ABS
Verdict: This bike is trying its best to do all i need and is making it. I have many mods planned for it over the next few months in an effort to make it a perfect bike for me and unlike any other FZ6 around.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i have to say that im more than pleased with my fz6. its my first bike so she ll always have a place in my heart and will never sell it. for the type of riding i do she serves me well and more than i could hope for. ive never ridden other bikes so cannot compare. however i always have a wish to own an italian bike mv brutale topping my list, a close second is the ducati streetfighter. i also like the yamaha mt01 i like these bikes just for looks i dont know how they ride or if they would do anything better than the fz. i would love a 250cc scrambler for everyday riding and to take it anywhere i like since i hate seeing the fz dirty, a second hand 250 used daily would suit me.

this is my dream of course as you may have noted because the cost of owing and maintaing all these bikes is astronomical but theres no harm in dreaming.:D

Juby

Reaction score
Visit site
Im 24 and I grew up doing the off road thing so I've gotten my fill of that for a while but my first bike was a yamaha vstar 650 with the siverado package (but I took off the huge windshield). And that is a bike that I miss having sometimes its just a different kind of ride

Eric

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my fazer is good, its comfortable for the timescales i use it for (weekend warrior) but as im tall it may be a problem if i decided to tour.

My TL is absolutly wrong for me..its only saving grace is that its quite long ,but the pegs are too high up for me and i suffer with thigh cramps after 1 hour. but im a sucker for the torque and sound of those two 500cc bangers

ultimatley i need a bike like a BMW GS or similar adventure bike to be truly comforable ( i enjoy using the father in laws TDM too)

the sensible choice for my would be to trade TL for a used strom,id like to think i'd keep the FZ6 for a long time

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don`t have an FZ6.....anymore...and yes the bike I have is everything I need.

IMG_1645.jpg

This was pretty good as well though.

STA_3431.jpg

Steve

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to say that I really appreciate your post. I can identify with it completely. For years I had to ride bikes that were woefully underpowered. Later I was able to afford faster bikes which I love, (and to which I am now forever addicted), but I have to confess that there is something about riding a bike that is pumping it's llittle heart out to you at 55 mph - 70 mph! You wring the grip until it's coming loose, you are laying down so low on it that your chin gets bruised off of the gas cap, your knees are making indentations into the sides of the tank, you are having the time of your life, and old cagers are still passing you, (but it's a blast)! That picture of the R.E. is fantastic. I think I know where one old one is. (A guy I know has a complete shop full of antique motorcycles. He also has an old 750 Norton Commando which gets your attention)
You were honest, I wll be too. I love my Fazer and I plan on keeping it until they outlaw internal combustion engines. For me, it is the absolute perfect bike. I've ridden much bigger and I've ridden considerably faster but the Fazer is exactly what I wanted in a bike. The honesty issue? I really have a lust deep down inside of me for a scooter. There....I said it! I like scooters! Now, somewhat embarrassed, I will sign off. Thanks for your thread.

Dino

Reaction score
Visit site
. The honesty issue? I really have a lust deep down inside of me for a scooter. There....I said it! I like scooters! Now, somewhat embarrassed, I will sign off. Thanks for your thread.

I learned to get over my embarrassment of being a scooter owner a while ago. My first machine (aside from a moped at 15) was/is a Yamaha Majesty. I have 17000 miles on it and it's a great commuter and no clutch in traffic is really handy. I bought the FZ because I wanted more power for weekend rides, but the scooter is ridden just as much.

Prebstar

FZ6 Maintenance Man
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Every bike i have owned has been the right bike. I now have the perfect mix of everyday bike (XJR) and fun bike (speed triple) but there is a few i wish i had kept VTR SP1-(RC51) & 675 Daytona. Mind you if i had i would never come out of the shed. :D :iconbeer:

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im as bad as the next man regarding multiple bikes, but surley those of us that got more than one bike means that we dont own the right bike??

just a thought.

EDIT: with the exception of trailies and trackies

Last edited:

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
To me my FZ6 is like that perfect girlfriend who is cute and does everything right and you dont really have any complaints but you still lust after the hot stripper :).. One day the FZ will be replaced by this hot stripper :)
2010_Kawasaki_Z1000_DSC_4126-2.jpg

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i like my fz6, but i'd still like some other bikes

a couple of ones on my "want" list include

triumph rocket III
ducati 848 or 1198
ducati monster
bmw 1200gs

i did like that new moto guzi v7 racer, until i tried sitting on it :S