Dual Headlight mod problems

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
So I tried the dual headlight mod and it was not easy.

First of all, no one mentions in any of the instructions that you need special long-handle allen keys. :mad:

"Take the airbox off" is not a simple task. There are loads of tubes to remove, wires to disconnect, etc...

I wasn't able to do it the first time and I'm a bit frustrated. I may not try it again.

It depends on how you do it. Mine took me less than a half hour. I just spliced into the green wire off the bundle of wires comming down from the handle bars. Works great. Not hard to do at all.

Is this using the BD harness? Or are you trying to wire yourself? I used the same method exhaust did. Took about 20 minutes and most of that was taping. This was after 25 minutes building the wiring at my desk by soldering the ends all together.

Don't give up! It looks daunting but just be patient and take your time. It doesn't have to be done within the hour...

mine, took me 3 hours, of course it's dual HID's ;P but yeah, best easiest way is to splice the wires from the front by adding a second connector to the H4 bulb from the live wire from H7 bulb.

I didn't have to take off the airbox. I just removed the two bolts in the front that hold it and the battery box down and the two bolts that hold the battery box in (note- they are different sizes so keep them separate) and eased the air box back still attached to everything to provide enough clearance to remove the battery box. There was enough clearance from there to pull up the wiring harness to access the connector. The connector was the big black connecter with the "bright shiny" dust cover that laid right up against the front of the battery box. I "tapped" the wire (green w/dot) just about an inch up on the handlebar side of the connector but still under the fuel tank and the frame. Filament illuminates on low beam and turns off on high beam. Looks sweet and glad I did it. I used the factory allen wrenches and tools. This is on the 07 model.

its difficult to disconnect the airbox but its certainly not impossible. Get yourself a pliers which can help squeeze the metal rings around the pipes coming out of the airbox to slide them off. I used a pliers and a screwdriver to pry them gently away from the airbox. Took me 1 hour to do the whole mod (in the dark!!) and seriously...its not a big job. Once you have the tubes out stand over the airbox, get a good grasp on it and pull upwards...it will pop right off. Puting it back in just make sure you have it flush on the air intake manifold.

Patience! :)

You dont need any special long handled allen keys...the allen keys that come supplied with the bike are enough.

And just remember, any other mod that requires cutting of wires will void your warrenty.

Thanks everyone. I don't have a factory tool kit so I have to use my standard stuff. I do loads of work on my 2-stroke off-road bike so I'm not scared to get in there. I guess I was just expecting something different.

Nevermind - It's a good excuse to buy those T-handle allen keys I've been wanting for a while.:)

Doorag you are not only one, in "How to do.." section I posted my fare share of problems as they happened in the course of 4-5 hours I spent for mod. All credits to whoever posted a mod and pictures, things were there as depicted.

* I also had hard time removing air box. As you said, you have to loosen up clamps holding air intakes for the engine.
* You have to remove 4 smaller hoses, one from the RH side and 3 from the rear side of the air box.
* You also have to remove temp sensor (same rear side or air box). Just pool it out.

> I dropped one of the small clamps into the engine. Spent 15 minutes finding it and retrieving it with telescopic magnet.
> I had hard time cutting metal skirt of the new H4 bulb for LH position.
> I had hard time inserting new third terminal for RH low beam bulb. Ones used by Yamaha are bigger than what I had from store.

Maybe you should do it as OkieDavid, without removing air box, but you will be able to do it anyway. Results greatly beat troubles.

Zack & Son

I bought Biker_Dude43's harness. It was easy once I figured out how to remove the airbox. Easyest way is to use pliers to clamp the hose clamps and pull them off. Then just pull the air box off. When you get ready to put the Airbox back in you WILL need to loosen the hose clamps with allen wrenches enough for the airbox to push back on. Then you need to use the Allen wrenches again to retighten the hose clamps around the base. the worst one with out a long allen key/wreche is the second one in from the right or...the middle right one. Arter that everything was cake.

Gand's simple FZ6 Dual Headlight mod

this one is super easy, even i did this in ten minutes.

Works a treat

I did mine using even a simpler method. I took a 12 inch piece of wire stripped about 3/4 of an inch off each side. I then unplugged both lights and inserted the wire ends. Just go from the pin with the black/green wire on the low beam to the unused pin on the high beam bulb. Make sure you wedge it in the pins so when you reconnect the plugs they will hold the wires in. Zip tied the wire to the fairing bracket so it would not hand and flop aroun. Did this about a month ago and works great with no problems. If you ever wanted to go back to stock just pull out the wire. No soldering or cutting of wires and no voided warranty. Took me about 5 minuets and did not have to remove nothing but the plugs. Simplest easiest mod I have ever done.

Last edited:
I did mine using even a simpler method. I took a 12 inch piece of wire stripped about 3/4 of an inch off each side. I then unplugged both lights and inserted the wire ends. Just go from the pin with the black/green wire on the low beam to the unused pin on the high beam bulb.

That does sound incredibly easy. Somebody chime in with the downfalls of this method (if there are any) as I plan on doing this today.

Guitar Man, what is the functional operation of the lights and switches when this method is used?
-- When the switch is on the low beam setting are both lights the same (low) brightness?
-- What happens when I hit the high beams? Is one side high and the other low?

I ride with my high beams on during the day so I want to be sure of two things. A. that my high beams work correctly and B. that when on low it doesn't look like I have a headlight out (which I believe is the main reason behind the dual headlight mod.)

Thanks!

That does sound incredibly easy. Somebody chime in with the downfalls of this method (if there are any) as I plan on doing this today.

An electrical connection that is guaranteed to fail on you at some point in the future, probably on a moonless night on a deer infested country road.

Fred

An electrical connection that is guaranteed to fail on you at some point in the future, probably on a moonless night on a deer infested country road.

Fair enough, but doesn't that depend entirely on how secure I make the connection? Maybe I'm not picturing it right. I guess I could try it and decide if it's secure enough when I actually do it.

If we ignore the security of the connection for a moment and look at the final outcome (which lights are on and when), what is the difference between this "simple method," bikerdudes harness and Gand's method? I'm assuming there's a difference because bikerdude's system is fairly complex whereas the other two are quite simple.

Thanks All!

[edit... A goofy decision on the part of Yamaha has really given us A LOT to talk about on this forum... sheesh]

Last edited:

Guitar Man, what is the functional operation of the lights and switches when this method is used?
-- When the switch is on the low beam setting are both lights the same (low) brightness?
-- What happens when I hit the high beams? Is one side high and the other low?

I ride with my high beams on during the day so I want to be sure of two things. A. that my high beams work correctly and B. that when on low it doesn't look like I have a headlight out (which I believe is the main reason behind the dual headlight mod.)

Thanks!

The only downfall is the wire falling out. Mine seems to be pretty secure as I tugged at it a little after install. There could be a corrosion problem but I used a little dielectric grease for that issue. You could also put some electrical tape over the wires for a little extra insurance. The beauty of it is you can remove everything in a minuet and no one would ever know anything was done.

Your high beam bulb has a low beam filament in it that is unused and just sitting there. Thats where you put the wire off the other bulb. So all you are doing is utilizing that filament. So when the switch is in low beam both lights are in low beam. When you select high beam the high beam comes on in the right side. The low beam filaments are still illuminated during high beam. Don't know why Yamaha could not have just installed the extra wire.

I get enough light in this configuration that I hardly use the high beam anymore.

Back