Enlisted ship on Oct. 4th

T

TheBlackSheep

I am new to the forum. But I did want to post that I have enlisted in the U.S. Army. I leave for BCT on oct 4th in Benning GA. My MOS is 25c. Does anyone have any pointers or tips

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Not military, but I have plenty of friends who are.

1. Keep your mouth shut and do as you're told.

2. Don't volunteer for anything

3. Don't be the first, or the last to do anything.

4. Keep your weapon, uniform and boots clean.

5. Remember decorum... remove your cover (hat) when entering buildings and serve with honor.

Thanks for stepping up and serving your country.

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
BlackSheep,

I'm a 17 yrs veteran still on active duty.
First, thank you for joining our ranks, the Army is glad to have you and I hope your journey will be as meaningful and exciting as mine has been.

Everything the Drill Sergeants and instructors teach you has meaning. You may not understand it at the time, but when you find yourself downrange in Iraq or Afghanistan, things will make more sense. Listen to your NCO's!!!! It will save your life one day.

Some free advice:

--Listen twice as much as you talk.

--Take care of the Soldiers to your right and left and they will do the same.

--When you feel like you can't take another moment of whats going on around you, always remember there's a Soldier somewhere on guard in a dangerous place that has it 10 times worse than you. This has served me well for my entire career.

--Embrace the suck ...dont fight it.

--You are joining one of the most respected professions in the entire World...earn that respect at all times, on and off duty.

--Go as hard as you can all the time...don't sandbag

--Strive to be a leader, even if you don't wear stripes

--Enjoy and don't get hung up on the small stuff...it's the end results that matter.

--Mission First!

Good luck!!! and let us know how it goes.

Armystrong!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I always make it a habit to thank those who risk theirs to protect ours. Thanks, both of you, for stepping up there to protect our great country and our allies...it truly means alot to me and i'm sure many of our forum members here!! :thumbup:

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Been in for nine years, nice to have you both in the military and on the forum. Some stuff has already been said but
1. Don't be first and don't be last. Best to be in the top 20% of your class
2.Don't worry you will be fine.
3. Listen to your NCO's
4. Remember no matter how bad one day might seem it could be worse. BCT is only nine weeks long.

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
G'day mate,10yrs Australia army(engineers) & was in Iraq for the first Gulf war in 91.All the previous posts are good advise,especially(listen to your NCO's)But I would just like to say this-If you volunteer once,maybe twice,you will rarely have to do it again while your in the same unit.You will be seen as a man that does more than his fair share & should be rewarded(good duties,postings,courses & maybe promotion)Goodluck & as already said,Remember theres allways someone doin it tougher than you :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for your service.

Sounds like you have gotten some great advise on a motorcycle forum of all places. Don't be a stranger, don't forget us.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Work hard and volunteer occasionally. Don't be afraid to admit you need help. Your brothers-in-arms will be glad to help if you just tell them you need it.

And go into basic training knowing it will be a fun time, rediculous at times, but fun. Because in 2-3 years you'll look back and say, "Man I wish I was still in boot. That was a great time."

Oh, and you can actually call sailors "bro", "dude", or by their last name. It's actually kind of weird for us to be called petty officer all the time. And chiefs are "chief" or "senior" (if they're a senior chief).

And finally, if the instructor says, "Pay attention, this might save your live some day!" they probably aren't ****ting you. Pay attention.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As a retiree, with 20 years in Armor and Infantry, do push ups and flutter kick now; until you puke. Then do it again.

Pay attention, be prepared (right uniform, right gear, on time and ready to go), think ahead, take care of you Battle Buddy, and when you NCOs tell you to do something - just do it. Don't whine and complain.

Other than that have fun with the radios.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I am new to the forum. But I did want to post that I have enlisted in the U.S. Army. I leave for BCT on oct 4th in Benning GA. My MOS is 25c. Does anyone have any pointers or tips

1) Show up on time
2) Wear the right uniform
3) Do your job
4) Don't mouth off at the boss..... if he deserves it, do it in private. Odds are, you'll figure out he doesn't if you think it through before shooting your mouth off.

Salty

Jeff
Reaction score
Visit site
Start now learning your General Orders, creed, ranks, song... should be able to find on interwebz.

Boot is a mind game, stay calm, keep military bearing (if you stumble just correct it without acting like a fool making noise/faces.)

Sleep 2 hours.. wake up for an hour, walk around / PT... go back to sleep for another 2 hrs.. then wake up and start your day.

Start standing all day long, wear uncomfortable boots (for the hurry up and wait) :Flip:

Embrace it and it will be easier, fight it and DOR

Do not date anyone in your command!!!!! (Male or Female ... not that there is anything wrong with that!)

Your "A" school is where it gets better, you start having fun.

Navy for 5 years (Retired) and I look back at my time in "A" school and say it was the best time in my life. Boot sucked ... bad, Our E-9 at school told us that if we graduate and survive our first tour we will be gods among insects...

Good luck :thumbup:

jeff

T

TheBlackSheep

Thank everyone for the support! and i'm taking all the advise i can.

T

TheBlackSheep

Well i made it through. been a trip but it was all in good fun. Just got MOS-Q at Fort Gordon and now i'm off to Fort Hood TX