Finally, an offer is in hand.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I've been offered a job in Dahlgren,VA. I'll be taking it. First permanent FT job offer I have had in 2 years. Decent pay, good location for me. Interesting work.

Mapquest says the trip is 2906.21 miles one way, door to door. Probably 4 day's driving to get across country. I'll have to leave some leeway in there, to ensure I can make it without trouble.

Bringing the family across probably won't happen at first. Too short a time frame to get started to get the house sold and the packing done.

A big step.

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new job. It's just too bad it's that far away and you have to relocate EVERYTHING and your family. I know the feeling of not having a job because I've been an unemployed bum for more than 6 months now. If I have to go 2 years, I'll have to give EVERYTHING back to the bank. (hmmm. I wonder if banks take kids) It's definitely going to be a change in your life style. Again, congrats.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
congrats RJ, and I can relate, after a year in Afghan I have a few things on
the go, none in my home province of Ontario, both 2000 miles or more away,
from what I've seen of VA it is a very desirable place to live, great business
climate and great weather climate too, just enough winter to keep it interesting,
again, congrats man

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats RJ! What kind of work are you in again?

I was hoping your expertise would land you in PA so I could have a local FZ6 guru to go to when I have bike issues! Oh well, at least Virginia is closer than Oregon! :D

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats,

I'm in Woodbridge, VA all the traffic will take some getting used to. Hopefully, you'll be out of the way of it so to speak. Good luck.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Congratulations! What do you do for a crust?

You could say I was in quality control..... I test stuff to ensure it works as advertised. Mostly looking at electromagnetic effects.... static electricity, how it behaves around strong transmitters, how it interacts with other equipment. what sort of emissions the thing gives off.

This time around, it's going to be military equipment. I have to have a clearance to work on the stuff, so it's not like I am going to be talking about what I do, much beyond this.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Congrats,

I'm in Woodbridge, VA all the traffic will take some getting used to. Hopefully, you'll be out of the way of it so to speak. Good luck.

The biggest problem the employer has had to date is finding someone who want to live in the 'back of beyond'. Dahlgren is about 30 miles East of Lexington, VA, right on the MD border bumped up against a bend of the Potomac river.

Nothing but farms for nearly 30 miles in any direction.

Lots of rolling landscape. Really surprised me how scenic it is. No mountians to speak of, but a 100 foot elevation change is enough to make for some interesting roads.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
You could say I was in quality control..... I test stuff to ensure it works as advertised. Mostly looking at electromagnetic effects.... static electricity, how it behaves around strong transmitters, how it interacts with other equipment. what sort of emissions the thing gives off.

This time around, it's going to be military equipment. I have to have a clearance to work on the stuff, so it's not like I am going to be talking about what I do, much beyond this.

Cool, lots of Mil work on the east coast esp. in that area. I did some of that type of work a while back at Raytheon and Draper Labs. Moving is a pain but you will pull it off. I moved last summer from MA to GA, now we are moving again later this summer back up to MA! :stupidpc:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Cool, lots of Mil work on the east coast esp. in that area. I did some of that type of work a while back at Raytheon and Draper Labs. Moving is a pain but you will pull it off. I moved last summer from MA to GA, now we are moving again later this summer back up to MA! :stupidpc:

MIL STD testing is going to be around no matter who is in office.... and it's going to be more consistent work in the mid Atlantic area..... I'd really, really like to limit the number of moves once I get across country.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
The biggest problem the employer has had to date is finding someone who want to live in the 'back of beyond'. Dahlgren is about 30 miles East of Lexington, VA, right on the MD border bumped up against a bend of the Potomac river.

Nothing but farms for nearly 30 miles in any direction.

Lots of rolling landscape. Really surprised me how scenic it is. No mountians to speak of, but a 100 foot elevation change is enough to make for some interesting roads.

Good thing he found someone that would LOVE to ride around on those "nothing but farms" roads!! Good luck on your move. And congrats on the job! :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Excellent! Too bad you can't fill us in on the developments of the Navy rail gun you'll be testing... :sinister: :rockon:

Congrats!!! And welcome to the East Coast!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats RJ... that's a big move good luck with it :)

We just completed qualification of our DC Master Boxes for the Eurocopter MIL helicopter we've been working on... EMC testing consisted of half MIL-STD-461 and the other half was DO-160.... my favorite was Section 22 of DO-160 if you see what I mean :D

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Congrats RJ... that's a big move good luck with it :)

We just completed qualification of our DC Master Boxes for the Eurocopter MIL helicopter we've been working on... EMC testing consisted of half MIL-STD-461 and the other half was DO-160.... my favorite was Section 22 of DO-160 if you see what I mean :D

I'll be deep into 461 testing, haven't had a lot of experience with 160, even to compare specs. I'm sure that will be changing.

Did some MIL STD 810 testing last year..... shock and vibe, shipping, maintenance, environmental testing.... explosive atmosphere. Very interesting.

Fortunately, most of it was quite dull, as far as the tests themselves...... which is what you want for the final product. :D

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be deep into 461 testing, haven't had a lot of experience with 160, even to compare specs. I'm sure that will be changing.

Did some MIL STD 810 testing last year..... shock and vibe, shipping, maintenance, environmental testing.... explosive atmosphere. Very interesting.

Fortunately, most of it was quite dull, as far as the tests themselves...... which is what you want for the final product. :D

Section 22 of 160 is "Lightning - pin injection".... lots of fun on that one... our box did not like it the first time we zapped it with a simulated lightning strike :BLAA: 300 caps + transorbs + $100k of external EMC lab troubleshooting fees later and we now pass the damn test! :cheer:

EMC is very interesting indeed... and it's never the same!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Yay! You'll be closer to me!!! You can answer all my questions first hand!
Mwahahahahaha! :D :sinister:

Congrats on the new job! Say what you want about about the DC area, but there are good, stable jobs and good school districts here. If you have a clearance, you're golden!! :thumbup:

Yeah, you're close to the boonies. I have a friend who lives/works near Pax River NAS in southern MD. It's scenic over there. I've been on some good rides along the Chesapeake Bay from Annapolis down to North Beach and further south. There are some decent technical roads, as well as scenic ones.

Yay!!!! :D

Last edited: