FJ-09; A most certain replacement for my FZ6

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I get pretty much the same. Highway speeds of 70 - 105. Average about 85/90 mph. Stock intake, stock exhaust. I usually put about 170 on the tank before I fill up.

Are you into the reserve portion of the tank at 170 miles? I can hit 150 miles easily without the reserve indicator flashing.

This space intentionally left blank.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode an FZ-09 a few months ago. It was nice and if it had a cowl, I would have bought it. My FZ-6 is an 05, which means it will be 10 years old next year. It is in good shape but a 10 year old budget bike is still a 10 year old budget bike. Engine is still strong and when I had the valves done in June, the mechanic said it looked almost new inside. Synthetic OIL.
I'm thinking there will be a big shakeout next summer. The horsepower wars will be ended by bureaucrats limiting the horsepower. I think that is why Yamaha is moving down in horsepower with their new models. So if I decide to buy a new bike, it will be either an FZ-1, while they are here or an FJ-09.
The FIRST thing coming off the FJ-09 is those fugly dam hand guards. I might be able to use them to hold the skins when I'm eating shrimp. Ashtrays for the garage? Ditch that hunk of plastic hanging off the ass like half a turd, Frame sliders and SS brake lines. So I'm saving my lunch money.:D

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Why are they making me beg for a big windscreen / front fairing? My ideal bike right now has about 45 ft-lbs of torque, at least 80 horsepower, and enough fairings / windscreen to take the wind out of interstate riding.

Puig. I have the taller smoked screen mounted. It is good up to about 100mph. The FZ-6 can run at those speeds but you will trash it doing that for hours on end. I'm 73 3/8 inches tall, it will vary with your height.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode an FZ-09 a few months ago. It was nice and if it had a cowl, I would have bought it. My FZ-6 is an 05, which means it will be 10 years old next year. It is in good shape but a 10 year old budget bike is still a 10 year old budget bike. Engine is still strong and when I had the valves done in June, the mechanic said it looked almost new inside. Synthetic OIL.
I'm thinking there will be a big shakeout next summer. The horsepower wars will be ended by bureaucrats limiting the horsepower. I think that is why Yamaha is moving down in horsepower with their new models. So if I decide to buy a new bike, it will be either an FZ-1, while they are here or an FJ-09.
.:D

You got any proof of this shakedown? Or is this just FUD?

While yamaha's middle weight bikes may be down on power, I have not heard of any decrease in their sport bikes. Ducati has not decreased their power output. Or any other manufacturer.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
There was someone who mention on the FZ07 forum that he put 210 miles on his bike until it ran out of gas. That's still 60 US/MPG or so! Doesn't get much better than that. I rode one around for a week. Nice little bike for commuting. Its like a extra light FZ6R with a better mid range. I might trade in the 6R for a 07 next year... should fit the wife much better and I can use it for my daily work commute.
There was a guy on here claiming 70mpg (US) a while back from an fz6. Doesn't mean it actually happened, or if it did, that it was a particularly fun way to ride.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a guy on here claiming 70mpg (US) a while back from an fz6. Doesn't mean it actually happened, or if it did, that it was a particularly fun way to ride.

That may have been me.
There was a time when I was more broke than normal,
Had to really nurse it and shift at/before 3500 rpm,
In 6th before 30mph.
Got just over 70 mpg!
Always put Felix on the centerstand,
And fill to same point on inner neck.
At the same station and same pump.
Wasn't fun getting that mileage,
But I had to or walk,,,,
Don't go far on foot before my flat feet,
Hurt so bad, I can hardly walk.
But I did bust 70!
Hope I never have to do it again!
:cool:
Rich

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That may have been me.
There was a time when I was more broke than normal,
Had to really nurse it and shift at/before 3500 rpm,
In 6th before 30mph.
Got just over 70 mpg!
Always put Felix on the centerstand,
And fill to same point on inner neck.
At the same station and same pump.
Wasn't fun getting that mileage,
But I had to or walk,,,,
Don't go far on foot before my flat feet,
Hurt so bad, I can hardly walk.
But I did bust 70!
Hope I never have to do it again!
Rich

How much do you weigh? So how many miles did the trip meter have? Over 300?

Talk about lugging the engine. From a safety standpoint, it's better to be in the correct power band just in case you need to throttle out.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Im always thinking abt mpg because I fill up every other day. 120 miles per day gets old. I get abt 170 before the reserve kicks in. I also run my tires aired for two up / heavy touring all the time. Shouldnt make much difference though.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
@ Vegasrider.
I weighed around 145 at the time.
As I recall trip meter was in the 280 range.
Wasn't what I would call lugging,
My Gramps would lug his Corvair pick-up!
Make ya cringe and shake your head.
Think he thought it was one of his steam-tractors.
I've driven truck all my life starting in a '51 Jimmy.
Built the year I was born,
Double-clutching,dual tranny(5X3),vacuum wipers,
6-volt,starter button on floor mother-lovin son of a truck!
Oh, they didn't know what a H-pattern gear shift was then,
Shift pattern was every-way but straight!
The fuel I was using may have had up to 10% diesel fuel in it.
After Hurricane Katrina a friend of mine and,
I were hauling FEMA trailers out of Elkhart In.(I live in Elkhart County) to just north of New Orleans.
I was sleeping and he filled the Superduty (7.3 turbo with Bully chip) with gas!
His truck!
Wouldn't run over 30 mph.Had to buy bunch of 5 gallon gas cans and pump contaminated fuel out.
He gave me the cans of fuel and I had them in my pole barn.
At least 8 years old!
I'd dump a gallon or so in to top tank off.
No smoke,but you could smell it!
Was worried it would clog cats up but it worked out OK.
But I did bust 70 mpg!Wasn't fun but,,
You do what you have to when the going gets rough.
Been ridin since I was in the 4th grade,
53 years now.
Started on a Cushman Eagle,foot clutch,
Shift on side of tank,two speed tranny.
I was in Heaven!
Oh to be ten again,,when pain was a sunburn,
Or an Indian blood pressure test,,Play on,,Dream on,,
Ride On!
Rich

Last edited:

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
My average MPG on my FZ6 for the last 11,000 miles I owned it was 44.70 (10946 miles on 248.5 gallons). Since I replaced it with a 2007 FJR my MPG has dropped to 42.04 !! (1728 miles on 41.10 gallons). I ride the same way at the same speeds. the big difference is the FJR has a 6.6 gallon tank so it's 200+ before F-Trip starts. In My opinion in order for any Yamaha to get the "FJ" tag it needs to have side bags as standard, get an easy 250 miles out of a tank and have a shaft instead of a chain.

I'll be keeping my FJR (Heated grips/Electric Screen/145 HP/99 lbft/NO CHAIN)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
What speed are you doing on the highway to get 50mpg? I never saw 50mpg with stock gearing, but then my nominal freeway speed is 80.

I average 65-70 mph on the highway to get 50 mpg. Our highways have a speed limit of 60 mph in my area, these are not freeways but split highways with occasional stop lights and driveways dumping into the roadway. At 80mph I would be getting about 45 mpg.

bluremi

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't understand why Yamaha gets such comparatively bad fuel economy.

My FZ6 gets an average 41.4 mpg. Seems about normal, having read this thread.

Meanwhile I'm reading that a BMW F800GT gets around 45mpg (real use measured by BIKE magazine) and honda's VFR800 gets almost 60!

Why are bigger engines getting better fuel economy? The FZ6 engine is from 2008!

Last edited:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site

Meanwhile I'm reading that a BMW F800GT gets around 45mpg (real use measured by BIKE magazine) and honda's VFR800 gets almost 60!

Why are bigger engines getting better fuel economy? The FZ6 engine is from 2008!

The f800 is a twin and turns lower RPMs for a given speed than the FZ6. I would guess the f800 is also has taller gearing final gearing as well.

Anybody getting almost 60mpg from a VFR, is not riding it properly.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
FJ will compete with the 2015 Versys 1000 which has Z1000 engine.
If FJ will try to save on ABS and TC (as in FZ09 case) and won't have that at least as an option it will be a big minus for Yamaha.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

V-twins are more efficient. My second bike is a 650 lb Victory cruiser with a 1636 cc V-twin making 80 hp and 100 ft lbs of torque. I get 45 mpg on that bike all the time and in the mountains where speeds are kept to under 50mph I can get as high as 52 mpg!

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
V-twins are more efficient. My second bike is a 650 lb Victory cruiser with a 1636 cc V-twin making 80 hp and 100 ft lbs of torque. I get 45 mpg on that bike all the time and in the mountains where speeds are kept to under 50mph I can get as high as 52 mpg!

Just to pick a nit, the F800 is not a v twin. It is a parallel twin.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site

Close loop! Please correct me if Im wrong... FZ6 doesn't have a O2 sensor, FZ6R doesn't. The O2 sensor keep the AFR at 14.7 pretty solid in close loop with fuel cut off over lets say 4K RPM. I get the same or even slightly better MPG on the FZ09 then the 6R when it was all modded with PCV and the whole shebang.

If I keep it steady at 70 MPH I get 47 MPG on the 09, 45 MPG if I cruise 80-90 all day long (Huge tail bad and small saddle bags) That's with 250 more cc and almost 30HP and 25 ft.lb more torque!

Technology my friend...

Last edited: