Flasher Relay on Project Bike

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so I'm well acquainted with the need for a flasher relay rated for LED's due to their lower power consumption etc.

What I've been working on is my custom wiring harness for my project bike, a 1979 Honda CM185, its a 6 volt bike and I wanted to run LED turn signals and brake light, so along with doing the entire bikes wiring from scratch, I included a 12 volt power pack wired in separately to power the lights. Ive got everything done and the last thing was to wire in the flasher relay I bought (Grote 44891). I think the draw from the LED's I'm using is too low, as when I try the switch they light up very dimly and don't flash, when I connect the ground wire on the relay, they don't work at all. I know the lights work fine because when I wire them up without the relay the turn signal switch lights them up nice and bright, just obviously not flashing.

Is there a relay anyone knows about that requires an extremely low amount of current to trigger it? or is there another route I could go? Ive thought about a micro-controller for the FZ6 before (so I could program 2 wire LED's to be running lights and flashers), but gave up after a grumpy salesperson at a electronics store wouldn't recommend me one.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so I'm well acquainted with the need for a flasher relay rated for LED's due to their lower power consumption etc.

What I've been working on is my custom wiring harness for my project bike, a 1979 Honda CM185, its a 6 volt bike and I wanted to run LED turn signals and brake light, so along with doing the entire bikes wiring from scratch, I included a 12 volt power pack wired in separately to power the lights. Ive got everything done and the last thing was to wire in the flasher relay I bought (Grote 44891). I think the draw from the LED's I'm using is too low, as when I try the switch they light up very dimly and don't flash, when I connect the ground wire on the relay, they don't work at all. I know the lights work fine because when I wire them up without the relay the turn signal switch lights them up nice and bright, just obviously not flashing.

Is there a relay anyone knows about that requires an extremely low amount of current to trigger it? or is there another route I could go? Ive thought about a micro-controller for the FZ6 before (so I could program 2 wire LED's to be running lights and flashers), but gave up after a grumpy salesperson at a electronics store wouldn't recommend me one.

What is the power pack current rating? Is it sufficient to run the 12 volt devices you're running. Is there a problem with the ground return. Does the ground have to be the same as chassis or does it float it's own requiring you to return to to the grounf of the 12 VDC supply?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked up that Grote 44891 flasher.

On the case it says minimum current draw is going to be 1 ampere. I'm pretty sure your LEDs are well below that.

44891.jpg

Get one of these.(Below) It will work without the minimum 1 amp draw requirement.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...cle-electronic-flasher/787/842/#/tab/Overview

LF1-S-FLAT-led-flasher-store.jpg

Last edited:

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked up that Grote 44891 flasher.

On the case it says minimum current draw is going to be 1 ampere. I'm pretty sure your LEDs are well below that.

Get one of these.(Below) It will work without the minimum 1 amp draw requirement.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...cle-electronic-flasher/787/842/#/tab/Overview

Thanks for the reply, Ill have to check that one out. The power pack has enough juice to power everything, It all works perfect when wired up without the flasher relay, and I'm pretty sure everything was wired correctly (I did it from scratch). the 12 volt line has a floating ground on its own circuit separate from the other wiring on the bike

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, Ill have to check that one out. The power pack has enough juice to power everything, It all works perfect when wired up without the flasher relay, and I'm pretty sure everything was wired correctly (I did it from scratch). the 12 volt line has a floating ground on its own circuit separate from the other wiring on the bike

Sounds like a fun project! :) Is it going to be a custom or a restoration?

You could tie your ground to chassis and also your stator probably has high enough voltage that you could do a separate rectify and regulate for charging the 12 power especially since it will be just for the lights. :)

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
She's a little bit of both a restoration and custom build.. Hoping to finish it over the Christmas break, my time in the shop is going to be coming to an end soon as my dad wants to get a boat in there