Frame cracked

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
So my frame is now cracked ....... :confused:

I don't get how it could have cracked, i haven't dropped or banged her or anything like that :(

question 1: Anyone else had this?
question 2: What metal is the frame made of?
question 3: anything i should consider while arranging to have it repaired?

It's cracked on the right side, where the pillion bar links to the frame, next to the engine mounting ... trying to upload pics.

thanks

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Several, several reports of the sister FZ1 having frame cracking. (search the FZ1 site) Yours is the first FZ6 frame cracking report I've heard of. Do you do wheelies? I wonder if your bike was "normal usage." Certainly is disconcerting if not.... Maybe this is why Yamaha dumped the frame on the new FZ6R?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So my frame is now cracked ....... :confused:

I don't get how it could have cracked, i haven't dropped or banged her or anything like that :(

question 1: Anyone else had this?
question 2: What metal is the frame made of?
question 3: anything i should consider while arranging to have it repaired?

It's cracked on the right side, where the pillion bar links to the frame, next to the engine mounting ... trying to upload pics.

thanks

Pic's would be good. Where is it cracked??? Did you buy it used? Some more info would help greatly.

The main frame on my 07 FZ6 is made of aluminum. The rear sub-frame is steel...

A good Heli arc welder should be able to take care of things. Depending on where its cracked, some additonal support might not be a bad idea...

The early Goldwings had problems with the lower aluminum frame cracking. Honda was having them welded or replacing the frame depending on the severety. Some FJR were breaking the upper sub frame, where a rear box would go (probably due to over loading luggage.)

Scott

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Ok ... the picture isn't helping either.

It's cracked on the main "arm" of the frame. On the forward facing side, slightly above the hole with a nut in, and next to the sub assembly arm.

Horizontal crack, starting at the front and working back. It's basically level with the rotor cover top.

I'm not the origional owner, but will swear that the crack has appeared ONLY in the last 2 months. I've had the bike over 2 years.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The main frame, if you feel behind it, is pretty much hollow (sp?). The large recessed nut is the swingarm retaining nut....

If its cracked where I think your referring to, its very unusual.

Obviously don't ride it until repaired/replaced

A picture would help. If the crack is still small, it can be v'ed out and welded by someone who knows how to heli arc.

A call to Yamaha main headquarters may be worthwhile...

Is it possible you hit a very large pot hole with the rear tire, (transferring the shock thru the swingarm, swingarm bolt and then to the frame?)

Last edited:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Yes the frame is hollow behind it.

No, i will have to ride it until it's fixed or breaks .... ihave an appointment monday with a heli welder guy.

I haven't found anything on the fz1 forum, although popped a mail to see if they could advise.

If i phone Yamaha, what on earth do i say? They'll do the usual, either fob me off or say bring it in you can pay us to bull**** you.

:(

Oh yeah, the roads round here are fooked, major rebuilding on all the major highways .... not potholes as much as new and old layers of asphalt, with large differences between them ..

Last edited:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
calling the manufacturer may be helpful, who knows? although I would expect
the "take it to a dealer comment"....it's highly unlikely any dealer would have a
tech with the skills to do this properly and neatly, never mind the equipment,
shouldn't really be that big a problem to repair, all the teardown and replacing
to gain proper access is likely the worst part, good luck

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kawasaki had a recall for the frame cracking due to bolt's being Over -Tourqed,and causing the frame to crack.if some one removed your rear sub frame ,and then over tightened the bolts when putting it back on that would cause it to crack.... Kawasaki Ninja ZX14 Recall

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For the goldwing frame cracking re-call, the dealer would initially get the bike and remove what ever needs removing to weld the frame. The frame then got sent to a certified welder with specific instructions on the repair. Once welded, it went back to the dealer for re-assembly.

That crack is very dangerous.....

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Monday night i have an appointment with a welder, who has done bike frames before. So we see what he says.

Yamaha seemed very surprised, concerned too, but the bloke i need to deal with is on the track, so i'll hear from him monday too.

And people ask me: What did you do ..... :confused: HOW do you break this in this way????

So no riding for me this weekend ...

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Monday night i have an appointment with a welder, who has done bike frames before. So we see what he says.

Yamaha seemed very surprised, concerned too, but the bloke i need to deal with is on the track, so i'll hear from him monday too.

And people ask me: What did you do ..... :confused: HOW do you break this in this way????

So no riding for me this weekend ...

VERY good to hear you are not going to ride the bike until this is repaired.:cheer:

We'd all love to see a better picture, so we know exactly where to look on our bikes. I ride ~1 mile of gravel to get to pavement, and then the pavement is not exactly smooth for some miles after that... patched potholes, and repaired 'slips' of the hill sides. Probably not as bad as what you have been dealing with, but it makes me interested in your situation, to be sure....

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Several, several reports of the sister FZ1 having frame cracking. (search the FZ1 site) Yours is the first FZ6 frame cracking report I've heard of. Do you do wheelies? I wonder if your bike was "normal usage." Certainly is disconcerting if not.... Maybe this is why Yamaha dumped the frame on the new FZ6R?

I had a mechanic friend in Central Texas purchase a FZ1 2006 new and within a few weeks developed a crack on the side seam connection just below the gas tank. There were several posting of other 2006 and 2007 having a frame issue as well on the FZ1 site. Personally, the second generation FZ1 have that really ugly seam that could have been hidden in the development process but is very visible right below the gas tank. With the FZ6 we don't have that unsightly weld seam showing like that. :)

The 2006 FZ1 models had several problems also with the fuel injection as well.

This is a first for the FZ6 though, at least that I have heard. Lots of wheelies and stunting can be undue stress on the frame.

Fred

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the frame is hollow behind it.

No, i will have to ride it until it's fixed or breaks .... ihave an appointment monday with a heli welder guy.

I haven't found anything on the fz1 forum, although popped a mail to see if they could advise.

If i phone Yamaha, what on earth do i say? They'll do the usual, either fob me off or say bring it in you can pay us to bull**** you.

:(

Oh yeah, the roads round here are fooked, major rebuilding on all the major highways .... not potholes as much as new and old layers of asphalt, with large differences between them ..

Take it to the dealer. Tell them you have a BS meter and that Yamaha Corp. will probably want to replace the frame the way Suzuki did on their defective frames. Don't assume that they will reject you.

If all fails you can repair it...
Hope you resolve it quickly.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
take it to the dealer. Tell them you have a bs meter and that yamaha corp. Will probably want to replace the frame the way suzuki did on their defective frames. Don't assume that they will reject you.

If all fails you can repair it...
Hope you resolve it quickly.

+1, 100%...

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to see a better picture too! I'm intrigued and a wondering about my '07 now. I won't have time to get to it this weekend but I'd love to have a better idea about what I'm looking for. Get the camera out! And good luck with the repair.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 07 beens laid down twice, on each side by the previous owner (my friends son) WITHOUT SLIDERS. Once at approx 35 MPH, # 2 probablly trying to wheelie (won't fess up)....

Insurance fixed the first one (by the first owner).

I purchased the bike for cheap, 2K, and fixed the rt side (all new parts) with NO CRACKS to the frame... Just some road rash. The road rash was gently sanded down and repainted...