Frame cracked

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The issue with the FZ1 models was on one of the factory welds up near the tank. The robot welding that seam made a single pass, not the required triple pass. This was where the front and rear frame halves met. Due to the insufficient weld, the frames were literally separating in the middle of the bike! :eek: As far as I know, this was on a limited number of 2006 models only and the issue was corrected on the factory line late in the 2006 production run.

With this in mind, is the crack on a factory weld or does the crack appear in one of the solid arms of the frame where previously, there was no weld at all?

Hope this helps!

-Eric

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Jeeez, thats really, really bad....

My FJR has a raised weld as such but slighty farther forward..

The FZ6 frame appears to be cast as one piece (at least from the outside).... with no visable welds.....

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I fixed the pic in your second post, so guys can see a larger pic of where the crack is.

Good decision not to ride it, get it checked out, hate see the aftermath if it fell in half while riding.

:rockon:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Yogi Bear YOU ROCK!!!!!!

That's what i haven't been able to find, so i'm not the first then. And th crack is in exactly the same place!!!!!

Taking it past yamaha, they'll look, they say. Also reminded me that the bike is out of warranty, and they'll most likely do nothing to help me ....

The yamaha marine guy i spoke to seemed to think they had a lot of frames available, but the motorbike guy tell me they can import one if i order ....

at my own cost :(

Even welding, such a bad option, and the resale (not that i wanted to sell, i've spent a lot on her lately) would disappear, nobody will buy a bike with cracked frame.

So if Yamaha SA get all uppity, wtf can i do?

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
This ought to be a recall...if you ask me. Yamaha should be required to to recall ALL bikes susceptible to this kind of catastrophic cracking for inspections. Probably, DOT is not even aware of this. I don't think that this is a warranty issue, it's a safety issue. DOT recalls and requires vehicles all the time to be repaired at manufacturer's expense for these kinds of failures.

W

wrightme43

Its control filled die cast aluminum.
It can be tig welded.
Drill a stop hole at each end of the crack.
The idea is a make a round radius at the end of the crack to prevent it from propagating further.

V cut out the cracked area, and have a tig welder make multiple passes.

After my crack was filled, I had him to over plate the whole area with weld. Then painted it with flat black vht and cured it. You cant tell its there unless you know.

W

wrightme43

This ought to be a recall...if you ask me. Yamaha should be required to to recall ALL bikes susceptible to this kind of catastrophic cracking for inspections. Probably, DOT is not even aware of this. I don't think that this is a warranty issue, it's a safety issue. DOT recalls and requires vehicles all the time to be repaired at manufacturer's expense for these kinds of failures.

I agree, he is in S.A. though.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
From Fazerowners.co.uk
My 2006 Fz6 frame has snapped!!! Urgent advice needed. - FZ6 specific stuff - Hints, tips, advice - Fazer Owners Club - Unofficial - Message Board - Yuku

30062009239.jpg

Exactly the same as where mine has cracked.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Interesting....Right on the radius area...

Is the crack you have look really straight like the one in the picture?

I'd love to see the reverse side of that part..... that's such a straight line, it has to be following a rib/web/stringer. The casting process generally does not create high strength edges like stamping a part will. Lots of micro cracks and such to allow a stress fracture to form.

For sure, that part has an issue all the way through it.

W

wrightme43

I would leave insurance out of it. They are not going to cover a frame failure with no accident, they are only going to note it, and not pay for it if you get hurt.

It is most likely a inclusion, or a scratch that has propagated thru the metal.

Long Long Long drawn out story very short. Metal is a crystal matrix. Any where a cyclic load is present with damage it will attempt to repair itself. That is the common "beach mark" that is present when humans notice parts failure. It is always caused by some sort of stress riser. (usually a inclusion, micro bubble, cut, scratch or notch) The way to stop it is drill a hole at the end. This puts a nice round radius in the metal latice. It cant propagate any more and weld it back.

It could of been stopped a long time ago if it was noticed as a small crack. In reality the frame probably should never of been shipped. If Yamaha does not want to cover it, you are stuck.

Drill, V grind, and weld, or shell out for a new frame. I would not worry about a welded frame at all.

Buy and read this book untill it falls apart. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-Motorbooks-Workshop-Carroll-Smith/dp/0879381868[/ame] It will make you a more competent human. You will have a strong basic understanding of what metal is doing, and what you can ask it to do. Its just like having a strong understanding of what you can ask your bike to do when riding. You will tighten and choose fasteners better, and trust what and why you do.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Steve

W

wrightme43

Oddly enough he gives a you teaser of the first pages that will explain what has happened better than I ever could. If you would like read them and then buy the mans books. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-Motorbooks-Workshop-Carroll-Smith/dp/0879381868/#reader]Amazon.com: Engineer to Win (Motorbooks Workshop) (9780879381868): Carroll Smith: Books[/ame]

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I was at yamaha yesterday, the local dealer.

The guy that i spoke to was fairly helpful, he's putting a report together for YamahaSA. Couple of things he said.

Never seen anything like it, even bikes with severe crash damage have maintained frame integrity.
There was a right side fall, before i got the bike which left minor scrape marks, (apparently yamaha don't warranty parts that have been in accidents).
The most likely cause was a loose bolt (when i get the pics i'll post them) which cased resonance though the frame, and created a stress fracture. (?)
When he asked his colleague, excessive wheelies was given as the most likely cause. But the mechy says that he has a friend with the same model, who uses it for stunting, and has had no problems.
Welding is an acceptable solution, even though it will look ugly.

:confused: