FZ1 or Triumph Tiger or KTM SM T

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
Please bare with me - I'm frequenting all FZx-Forums and would post this on each one of them because I'll get a variety of opinions.
I've been here frequently for the past year and half. After I sold my 2008 FZ6 S2 (which I loved) last year I was bike-less for almost year. I was waiting and dreaming, but now I can make my final decision because I'll have the money in the next 2 months. I know it is my choice in the end but would like to know other members comments.

I've got 3 sport tourers on my short list because of the price (ZAR125,000 - exchange $16,500), versatility and looks. The BMW GS is (for me) more of a dual purpose on/off road and I like something different and there is soooo many GS's on South Africa rounds.

My wife don't want to hear anything but FZ1 (talking about being biased), but said it is my choice in the end as long as it is comfortable for a pillion. She hate the KTM's looks but I see more than she does.

My short list is:
ZAR125,000 - $16,500
FZ1 Fazer
Engine: Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, 20-valves
Displacement: 998cc
Max Power: 110.3 kW (150HP) @ 11 000rpm
Max Torque: 106 Nm (10.8kg-m) @ 8 000rpm
Fuel Capacity: 18 litres
Dry Weight: 199kg
View attachment 22649

TRIUMPH TIGER ABS
Engine Type: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
Capacity: 1050cc
Maximum Power: 115PS /114bhp / 85kW @ 9,400 rpm
Maximum Torque: 100Nm / 74ft.lb at 6,250 rpm
Fuel Capacity: 20 Litres
Weight (Dry): 198kg (+3 for ABS)
View attachment 22650

KTM 990 Supermoto T
Engine: Liquid cooling, four stroke, 75°V-twin cylinder, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Capacity: 999.8
Max Power: 116 hp 85 KW @ 9000 pm
Max Torque: 97 Nm @ 7000 rpm
Fuel Capacity 19 Litres
Dry-Weight 191 kg
View attachment 22651

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Out of the three I would have to go with the FZ1. That is however only based on the power numbers and the looks. I have not ridden any of them. Good luck with your decision! :)

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
Mainly commuting, but my wife like riding with me. We will definitely do some touring. In South Africa we have beautiful places to ride. We have many dirt roads going places normal people don't see often as well. That is why there is so many BMW GS's sold in South Africa. The Triumph and KTM is there for that possible reason. If it wasn't for the dirt road touring, I would not think of anything but the FZ1.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Tiger. I love the powerband of that bike. It's also more touring oriented than the FZ1, but way cooler (IMO) than the KTM.
Triumph bikes are awesome.
The FZ1 is a beautiful looking and sounding bike, but is more sport oriented. You can tour all day on the Tiger, and it can do dirt (with the right tires), and kill the curves. The Tiger also has ABS, which is great for dirt roads.
I like the KTM, but it's styling just isn't my thing.
Ride them all and see what feels "right."

Last edited:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
being that i've never ridden (or even sat on) any of those bikes i'll have to give a big ditto to abacall's post. seemed like the most logical choice on paper. personally, i'd like the fz1. but i also spend zero time on anything dirt related. i think if i did i might change my tune. and thinking of your wife, the tiger looks to have the best potential for a comfortable seat.

definitely looking forward to how this one ends.

DiasDePlaya

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ1 is a different breed, but between the Tiger or the SMT, all test that I read said that the SMT is the Queen of the category.

If you want speed, the FZ1, if you want to ride like a hooligan, the SMT, in other case the Tiger (ABS, comfy)

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
^^Yep. It seems like they are all created toward a different purpose.
FZ1 = Street ripping, corner carving beauty.
Tiger = Comfy, long distance, light dirt tourer.
SMT = Well, it's a bigger, more powerful SM. Fun, fun, fun.

They can all do everything you want. Hell, you can even ride the FZ1 on dirt with the right tires. The Tiger can still rip the turns. The SMT can do touring.
The Tiger just seems to do the things you want the most, the best.

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
Choices, choices, choices... :confused:
My heart says FZ1 (d@mn I've been dreaming of one for months), The KTM is just to bad-@ss to ignore (and reviews is great).

I thought I will get biased Yamaha feedback but the Triumph Tiger got recommended the most - for what I want to do.

Thanx all, true honest information, just what I'm used to on our excellent FZx-forums.:thumbup:

Keep it coming.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
love my big kitty

DSC01564.jpg

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
i would also go for the tiger (assuming i felt comfortable riding it). one of my coworkers has a speed triple, and i love the sound, very distinct.

of course, as abacall said, go ride it, thats the only way you will tell.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
My heart says FZ1.

i'm a very practical guy. and with that i want to get a vehicle based on practicality. but there is a part of biking that isn't practical. some people's wallets won't allow, but if you're able to, it's nice to have a bike that makes your heart sing. i agree that you should go sit on them and ride them if you can. and if the fz1 still makes you :D :rockon: :eek: :thumbup: then go for it.

the fz6 isn't the most practical bike for what i want... but it's the only one that made me smile when i looked at it. i've probably put an extra $1000.00 into making it what i want it to be. still not perfect. probably is a bike out there that i wouldn't have had to spend that much money on. but i wouldn't trade the fz6 for anything. not even sure i'd trade it for an fz1... even though i do occasionally look. :rolleyes:

good luck.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I went from an FZ6 to a Triumph Street Triple R and I have never been happier. It's the smaller motor (675), but the torque characteristics are similar... TORQUE EVERYWHERE! Don't let the peak numbers fool you, the Triumph puts out torque at every RPM. I've ridden the Tiger and the FZ1 and they are truly two different animals. If I had my choice, I'd get the Tiger in a heart beat. It handles great, looks great, has an amazing engine, and is incredibly reliable (bullet proof). The ONLY catch is that you have to be reasonably tall to get on/off the bike. The seating position is fairly high until the suspension compresses down, making great for touring and passenger use, but different for single riding if you aren't taller then 5'10" (~175cm).

SUMMARY: In my opinion, the Tiger is the superior bike to the FZ1. Can't speak for the SMT.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How about the Ducati MultiStrada? It's a 1100cc bike, and like the FZ6, has dual undertail exhuasts.

This will be my 2nd bike sometime in the future.

Ducati.com

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the opinions, its appreciated. I believe: To keep the bike thing big in the family is to keep my wife interested. Her own branded gear, her comfort and say and make time to take her on rides. She says its my choice in the end but you know woman... Maybe I must start selling the Tiger's more pillion comfort against the FZ1 slight less to her. She loves the FZ1. She don't even want to sit on them (as pillion) at the stealership to feel the pillion comfort - to self conscious (will work on that before closing the deal ;) ).

I began this thread with only FZ1 on my mind but you guys got me to thinking very hard about the Tiger, thanks.

bigdog9191999: She's really BEAAAAutiful! I hear she has a nice purrr when you tickle her ear - the right one they say... Never heard one myself.

abacall & taki: In South Africa we have the same problem which I hear is about everywhere, they don't have demo's for rides. That is why I read so many reviews and ask so many questions - and listen to the PRO's here :thumbup:

markustyson: Sprint ST was on my 'longer' list, but for daily commuting I had to make a decision. Maybe someday... Funny but my wife don't look at bikes the way I do :rolleyes:. In the beginning when we went to 'just looking', she every time went to the FJR and said that is a nice bike. She learned by now to read on the side and not to think that is the FZ1.

dean owens: I loved my first bike, the FZ6. I thought of just getting one again or the FZ6R, but I've been waiting to get cash for the deal and that won't happen soon again - so, I thought, upgrade while I can... I think majority here would (and keep the FZ6 :Flash:)

nimzotech: 2010 FZ Mantis - LoL, I always though that the Tiger should be called the ANT

rsw81: I'm 6'2" and a heavty 212pounds - 96Kg. The Daytona 675 is my favorite in the 600cc class and if you can have 3 or 4 bikes, well...

VEGASRIDER: Our local magazine (2Wheels) has a shootout this month on the KTM SM T, Ducati MultiStrada and Triumph Tiger. I don't like the MultiStrada's looks but if everybody's taste was the same we would all try to marry the same woman...not a good idea, enough wars!