Got myself & the Missus new Shoei XR(RF)1100 Helmets!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, just over a week ago, i had a bit of an accident and i trashed my helmet! So i needed a new one! And my Missus, well, she has been making do with a cheapish HJC kids helmet!

My last 2 helmets have been HJC AC-12 Carbon fibre helmets! Awesome lids...great fit, look great, lsuper light, and as it turns out, bloody good at their job when you land on you nugget!

But this time i have decided to go for more of a road orientated helmet, rather than a Race orientated helmet...

My criteria for a new helmet, was he following...
1. Comfort & fit
2. Something with a bit of extra room around the mouth area.
3. A helmet which either has deep ear pockets, or even better, built in recess's for flat disc style Bluetooth intercom speakers.
4. Superior safety rating...ie: a 5 star sharp safety rating. Dot & Snell 2010 approval.
5. Decent tool less visor removal. decent visor ratcheting action, including, the ability to lock the visor in the "just open" position.
6. Wide face area aperture, so i dont end up looking at the side of the face port when doing headchecks, etc!
7. Something that is quiet at highway speeds...
8. Something with decent ventilation for those hot summer days in Oz!

So off i went to have a look, found a few HJC's that i liked, but they didnt quite tick all the boxes...

Found a Aria RX7- Corsair, for about half normal price....beautiful beautiful helmet, incredibly well made, but in the end, the helmet lining irritated my skin, and the mouth area was very small, my lips were touching it!

Then i came across the Shoei XR1100 (or for you Americans...the RF1100)! Now i have been a Shoei fan in the past, owning at least 3 of these helmets before, and they have all been awesome helmets, and have always fitted my head well! But the XR1100 is just an amazing helmet...

I put it on my head, in my size, and it fitted like it was mine, and i had been wearing it for months, immediately!

It is packed full of features...
1. Hi tech shell construction...5 star sharp safety rating, Snell 2010 approved!
2. Extensive venting system, both fresh air, and exhaust...
3. Wide face port opening.
4. Spring loaded, self "sealing" waterproof visor system, with tool less visor removal.
5. Nice and roomy around the mouth area.
6. allowance for intercom speaker installation in ear area, thanks to a 50mm round "indent" in the helmet interior lining, to mount speakers away from ears! Perfect for someone that has just bought a new Sena rider to passenger bluetooth intercom system!

The finish of the helmet is amazing, you can remove the inner liner completely for washing, or installing speakers, etc...Shoei does a anti-fog pinlock visor system, that not only prevents fogging, but is light reactive, tinting the view as needed.

In the end i was so impressed, that i thought it only fair that i upgrade the Missus's lid at the same time, cause i dont think it would be very nice to go on a 12 day with her at the end of February, if i was living in the lap of luxury in the helmet department, and the Missus was putting up with an inferior helmet at the same time...

So, matching Shoei XR1100 Enigma TC-6's it was....cause the colours sorta match all the bikes in the garage, and my riding gear! Lol!

View attachment 32736

The shop did not have the style i wanted, in the sizes we needed, so we are waiting for them to arrive from the Aussie distributor later this week...

They were not cheap at all, even with over $200 off each helmet, from their shelf price, it was still well in excess of a $1000 purchase!

Could of got them another $200 a helmet cheaper in the USA, but if i buy from there, there is no Australian Safety standard sticker, and if i crash and mash myself with a non AS approved helmet on my head, my insurance is void! So i got bent over on price!

Oh well, i am happy, these Shoei XR1100's are about as good as it gets in terms of road riding helmets...

Sorry i went on for a bit, but i am pretty chuffed with the result of my helmet search....and i needed to share my joy!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice helmets. Hopefully you don't have to use them for their intended purpose again. Between you downing your bike and your skipping incident, I think you should live in a bubble... :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice one. Wonder what the differences are between the 1000 (the one I have) and the 1100? Probably more vents.

This vid goes through the differences, and changes...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-avnuErsME"]YouTube - Shoei RF-1100 Helmet Review at RevZilla.com[/ame]
New shell shape, visor system, etc, etc...

This review is a great tech "infomercial"!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHGxAjZUSXQ&feature=related]YouTube - Shoei RF-1100 Full-Face Helmet - Cycle Gear Review[/ame]

And from the Shoei website!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeKfEBLEIlI&feature=related]YouTube - Shoei XR-1100 - The Dawn of a New Era[/ame]

The 1000 is a fantastic helmet....and i nearly bought 2 of them today...as they are going for very reasonable prices these days, being a supersed model of sorts...

:thumbup:

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice helmets. Hopefully you don't have to use them for their intended purpose again. Between you downing your bike and your skipping incident, I think you should live in a bubble... :D

Hence the reason that i insist on decent quality riding gear! Am also very fussy about boots as well...i sorta like my feet too!

Have always been a bit "Accident prone"!!! and not just on the bike, just in general!!! :eek:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Beautiful lid! I'd be rocking Arai Corsair-V if money was no object. I just can't, in good conscience, spend more on any given thing than is necessary... so I'm stuck with a lowly Scorpion EXO-700.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Love the (XR)RF-1100! Great helmet! I bought a second one after I dashed the first. I have the headset with microphone for the Chatterbox X1 GMRS and Bluetooth installed and it had the room I needed. The visual areas are improved on these. Another neat thing is how they have the 5 different shell sizes so that the interiors are not so varied in thickness.

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 1100 as well and love it. I don't find it to be all that quiet with the top vents open, but it most definitely is with them closed. Everything else about it is great, and it's so difficult to find "that helmet" that I figured it was willing to compromise on that.

I went with the Diabolic Divinity design, but the Enigma was my second choice. The pictures don't do the divinity justice, as it has light silver etchings that the flash washes out.

I had an HJC CL-15 previously, which is designed for a round head, and therefore did not fit me properly as my head is more along the lines of the intermediate oval or egg shape.

The 1100 fits perfectly with pressure on the cheeks and a snug grip up top. The difference in motion on both axes when I attempt to move the helmet while it's on my head is night and day.

attachment.php

Beautiful lid! I'd be rocking Arai Corsair-V if money was no object. I just can't, in good conscience, spend more on any given thing than is necessary... so I'm stuck with a lowly Scorpion EXO-700.

I like Arai as well, but they do not fit my head. I discovered after trying on many different helmets at RevZilla's shop in Philly that a head that fits the 1100 properly isn't going to fit properly in the RX-Q.

It's almost like Shoei purposefully sized the 1100 to be in between the sizes of the RX-Q. The L falls just between the RX-Q L and XL.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice lid Wolfman! I've got the XR1000 and it's a great helmet - this new one seems to push the bar even further. It'll likely be my next helmet when it's time to upgrade!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the RF1000 and it's awesome. I'm sure the RF1100 is just the newer version of the RF1000. Very comfortable helmets. I love mine. :BLAA:

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for the helmet Wolfman!

I had a bingle in march and had to purchase a new lid. I came from the XR1000 (previous model) and really liked the fit of the 1100. (Very similar colour and style to the 2 previous pics! I had visibility in mind)

Fits lovely, came with 2 different visors, doesn't fog up in an instant, and the noise insulation is great! (Esp with 2bro exhaust!) Yes, and bit pricey, but insurance paid, and how much is your head worth?

Great choice! :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for the helmet Wolfman!

I had a bingle in march and had to purchase a new lid. I came from the XR1000 (previous model) and really liked the fit of the 1100. (Very similar colour and style to the 2 previous pics! I had visibility in mind)

Fits lovely, came with 2 different visors, doesn't fog up in an instant, and the noise insulation is great! (Esp with 2bro exhaust!) Yes, and bit pricey, but insurance paid, and how much is your head worth?

Great choice! :thumbup:

Yeah, it's all about safety, comfort, and noise control, is hard to enjoy a days ride when your ears are getting a flogging, and your helmet is causing you pain in the noggin!

:thumbup:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
nice lid you got shoeis are raved about in nearly every review i read. i never owned one.. this year i bought myself a shark rsr2 on closeout as they are being replaced by the race-r (i'm still waiting for it to arrive) . the rsr are also very well appreciated. i was debating between shark and agv gp tech the agv put me off because build quality is not up to shark/shoei levels and the large top vents have small vent holes and no mesh grilles to cover them (the k3 which is much cheaper has the grilles on the vents) so this was a deal breaker for me..

I have a multitec and a 1000, I like both a lot. Does anyone has the velar Jiano?

Hoshiko - i had the vemar jiano in gloss black about two years ago, after two months of non regular use (3 times a week tops) the liner at the bottom started ripping away. the shop contacted vemar and took pics of the helmet but they did not even contact the shop back..so much for aftersales service! then about 4months later, the mechanism that holds the chin open broke as well so it became effecitively a full face helmet because you could not open at stops or petrol pumps because it would flip back down. the integrated sunshield was of the right tint and never failed. it s very useful and there is no need to switch visors. i did not have bluetooth installed but overall the helmet was crap....i now got a marushin m 401 and its much better made..the fabric and chin mechanism are holding well after a year of use

(ups thread hijack :confused::D

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
Great thread! :thumbup: I want to get a new helemt in the spring, and the 1100 is the one I'm targeting. The one and only helmet I've ever owned is the RF800 (bought new in 1998) which has held up great (and been very lucky for me!) but due to wear on the liner and chin straps, I think is ready to replace.

alexiano

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice lid. Biased given I own a Shoei too. They offer so much more peripheral vision than the others I'd tried. Mate of mine bought the same model recently. Got an awesome splatter paint finish

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great thread! :thumbup: I want to get a new helemt in the spring, and the 1100 is the one I'm targeting. The one and only helmet I've ever owned is the RF800 (bought new in 1998) which has held up great (and been very lucky for me!) but due to wear on the liner and chin straps, I think is ready to replace.

I have an RF800, is way old now, but still a great helmet, wore it for over 100000km's, still feels like new, just looks a bit "secondhand" these days! Quality is quality, and Shoei has been doing it right for well over 20 years now...

My HJC AC-12 Carbon fibre lids were both great helmets, but in the end, when you pick up a high end Shoei, you can see why they can charge what they do for a lid...they are "solid" in every possible way...

Only a couple of days till i get to pick the suckers up now...cant freaking wait!

:rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Jamie,
Life will be better wit the XR(RF)-1100.
I rode a friends Kawaski ZX6R with my Scorpion EXO-1000 and my neck was killing me riding more forward and having to pull my neck so I knew I needed a different brain bucket.
When I picked out the R1 I got the RF-1100 and have been happy with it ever since.
Shoei modified the visor hinge on the 1100 so that it pulls the visor back onto the gasket making a better seal.
In comparison to my Scorpion it was lighter and the ventilation was so much better. As soon as I hit the road I could feel the air moving through my scalp.
The front vent was also superior. Great piece of gear!:rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jamie,
Life will be better wit the XR(RF)-1100.
I rode a friends Kawaski ZX6R with my Scorpion EXO-1000 and my neck was killing me riding more forward and having to pull my neck so I knew I needed a different brain bucket.
When I picked out the R1 I got the RF-1100 and have been happy with it ever since.
Shoei modified the visor hinge on the 1100 so that it pulls the visor back onto the gasket making a better seal.
In comparison to my Scorpion it was lighter and the ventilation was so much better. As soon as I hit the road I could feel the air moving through my scalp.
The front vent was also superior. Great piece of gear!:rockon:

Am glad to hear the venting works, as it is getting warm around here, right about now, and i got some serious kilometres to cover in the next 3 months...

The bike shop rang me this arvo to tell me that the helmets are in!!! Am going to pick up mine tomorrow, but wait to get the second one, till Jess can get to the shop, and make sure her's is the right size...it should be, she tried on a Small Dhoei xr1000 the other day, and it fitted perfectly.

Happy Christmas to me, from me! :D