Helmet delima

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm in the search of a new helmet. I currently have a scorpion exo-400 size large. It doesn't fit too bad, but after about 30 min of riding I'll start to get a slight head ache from it pressing on my forehead. I tried an xl and it's the same way. Aside from that, it's a good helmet. So I've been looking around trying to find something more comfortable...and I've come to the conclusion that I must have an odd shaped head, cause nothing feels good. I tried on every model HJC and it feels like I'm wearing a bucket...seriously the most uncomfortable thing I've ever had on my head. Then I tried on a couple of Icon's...if you take a bowl and put it in side a bucket, that's what they feel like. The same for a kbc v-2. So then I tried a Bell Star. Very nice looking, expensive helmet but my chin sticks about about 3 inches from under it and it presses on my forehead too. Next was the Shoei's. The RF-1000 and RF-1100 felt pretty good. Still a little strange feeling on top of my head. The X-eleven felt the best. The guy at the place said if that one felt good then an arai corsair would fit too, but I refuse to buy a 800 dollar helmet. I'll spend the money on the x-11, but I didn't really want a solid color, and the one's with graphics do nothing for me. So I ask, what would have the same shape as the X-11? I was hoping to find some one who had some Shark's in stock, but everyone only seems to carry HJC's and Shoei's. Who has a good return policy to where I could order a shark and if it doesn't fit I could return it with out loosing any money?

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm in the search of a new helmet. I currently have a scorpion exo-400 size large. It doesn't fit too bad, but after about 30 min of riding I'll start to get a slight head ache from it pressing on my forehead. I tried an xl and it's the same way. Aside from that, it's a good helmet. So I've been looking around trying to find something more comfortable...and I've come to the conclusion that I must have an odd shaped head, cause nothing feels good. I tried on every model HJC and it feels like I'm wearing a bucket...seriously the most uncomfortable thing I've ever had on my head. Then I tried on a couple of Icon's...if you take a bowl and put it in side a bucket, that's what they feel like. The same for a kbc v-2. So then I tried a Bell Star. Very nice looking, expensive helmet but my chin sticks about about 3 inches from under it and it presses on my forehead too. Next was the Shoei's. The RF-1000 and RF-1100 felt pretty good. Still a little strange feeling on top of my head. The X-eleven felt the best. The guy at the place said if that one felt good then an arai corsair would fit too, but I refuse to buy a 800 dollar helmet. I'll spend the money on the x-11, but I didn't really want a solid color, and the one's with graphics do nothing for me. So I ask, what would have the same shape as the X-11? I was hoping to find some one who had some Shark's in stock, but everyone only seems to carry HJC's and Shoei's. Who has a good return policy to where I could order a shark and if it doesn't fit I could return it with out loosing any money?

Being part of the big egg head club; I have had the same problem with every street helmet that I have owned (Includes a Shoei, HJC, and two Icons). The long rides would result is a extreme ache at the tip of my forehead. To resolve this I ended up using a heavy spoon (the eat with kind) to press and create a slight forehead shaped dimple at the contact point in the helmet. A true 300% improvement!

Just a thought.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Good idea to try the spoon.
I have a very oval head, and the Scorpion and HJC's don't work for me...too round. My RF-1000 works for me.
Finding the right shape for your head is important, for fit and safety. I am not sure of the shape of the Sharks, but if you are sure you want to try a Shark helmet, order from this place and wear it at home for an hour ro two while you watch TV, see how it feels on your head. They have a 7 day no hassle return:
Cycle Gear - Motorcycle Apparel, Parts and Accessories

Good luck!! :thumbup:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bell Star, now there is a name from the distant past.... back in the 80s I had a very heavy fibreglass Star, a Star II and a TourStar. Bell helmets aren't available here today :(

I tried a Shark and got that pressure on the forehead, ditto with Arai. Tried Shoei, perfect.

Obviously I can't help with the try or return question ;)

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use & highly recommend AGV Stealth :thumbup:.... I cant use Arai or Shoei because of the pressure they put on my forehead , this isnt a problem with the AGV though :D

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna try the spoon method on the scorpion and see what that does. I'm always lookin on web bike world....I think I've read every helmet review on there.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
I use & highly recommend AGV Stealth :thumbup:.... I cant use Arai or Shoei because of the pressure they put on my forehead , this isnt a problem with the AGV though :D

What size do you wear? Do you find that your chin hangs out the bottom, I hate that. I was actually lookin at that one too but no one has any in stock.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
y'know, you can buy ski boots that don't have a liner, you wrap your foot in plastic, put it in the boot, and they pour in a foaming, setting goop that gives you a perfect, custom-fit boot. I can't afford them yet, but maybe next year...

Suppose you can't do that with a helmet, the lawyers would have a field day... :rolleyes:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What size do you wear? Do you find that your chin hangs out the bottom, I hate that. I was actually lookin at that one too but no one has any in stock.

Mine is a large & my chin doesnt stick out the bottom but yes they are a shorter style shell :thumbup: Makes the Stealth a little bit on the noisey side (not excessive) but bear in mind they are shorter because they are a race spec helmet & need to allow head movement :thumbup:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WARNING! If you do this spoon method, you'll have just destroyed your helmet. You know the 'one crash and you should change helmets' rule, well it's not because you may have ruined the outer shell, it's the delicate inner. If you purposefully reshape it, what you're doing is changing the density of the foam at your forehead thus reducing its shock absorbtion capabilities meaning more force (in an impact) is placed at that point, ie on your forehead. MADNESS!!!

If you would fit an Arai Corsair, you should try their lower end versions which start cheap. Not identical shape but similar. Also the AGVs are very different shapes to many others and I would suggest you try that.

PLEASE save your spooning for your missus :)

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that I've done a little more research, looks like a Shark sould do the trick. It seems to be classified as a "long oval" head shape which must be what I have, and they say that the chin bar is also longer on them than they are on other brands. Only negative thing I can see is that some of them don't have ear pockets, and I wear glasses so that could make them uncomfortable.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a Cycle Gear Store near you, they have a one week no questions ask return policy if you don't like it.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a Cycle Gear Store near you, they have a one week no questions ask return policy if you don't like it.

Yeah that's where I was at. They only had the shoei's, hjc's and the one bell in stock. I stopped at pretty much every motorcycle shop with in a 50mile radius of my house and they all seem to just carry HJC's.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that I've done a little more research, looks like a Shark sould do the trick. It seems to be classified as a "long oval" head shape which must be what I have, and they say that the chin bar is also longer on them than they are on other brands. Only negative thing I can see is that some of them don't have ear pockets, and I wear glasses so that could make them uncomfortable.

Try an Arai Profile .... they are of a long oval shape. I can't wear any Arai except for the Profile which they advertise for those with a long oval head. They are superior grade, not cheap, but it's your head. The bay always has a good selection of brand new Arai Profiles.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like a problem with crappy retailers, poor inventory and lack of willingness
to help...I'm lucky here, dealer with a wide range of stock and I can try anything
within reason and return it promptly as long as it aint marked-up, funny thing
is it's a Suzuki dealer, bending over backwards for a Yamaha guy....sounds
like you've been searching, but just haven't found the right guy yet...nobody
mentioned Gmax in this thread yet, pretty comfy lids, and I agree with the
HJC comments, bloody awful things

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Try an Arai Profile .... they are of a long oval shape. I can't wear any Arai except for the Profile which they advertise for those with a long oval head. They are superior grade, not cheap, but it's your head. The bay always has a good selection of brand new Arai Profiles.

Another XL long oval here..... Arai is the only brand of premium helmet I have found to fit my noggin.

I'd really like to try a Schuberth at some point. As my father's side of the family came out of Denmark, and Schuberth is from Northern Europe, it's fairly likely they have a helmet that would fit my head.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I just found my next helmet. It's gonna be an Arai. I tried them all on and they all pretty much felt the same with the RX-Q and the Profile feeling the best. The interior on the new rx-q feels really nice. I tired on the sharks but I didn't like them at all. They have no ear pockets and I could barely get my glasses on, and when I did it didn't feel right at all. I didn't have this problem with any of the Arai's. I just tried on pretty much every brand of helmet in a L and XL and out of all of them the Arai is by far the best. Not just in fit but in overall helmet feel and comfort. Now I just need to find a graphic that I like.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good idea to try the spoon.
I have a very oval head, and the Scorpion and HJC's don't work for me...too round. My RF-1000 works for me.
Finding the right shape for your head is important, for fit and safety. I am not sure of the shape of the Sharks, but if you are sure you want to try a Shark helmet, order from this place and wear it at home for an hour ro two while you watch TV, see how it feels on your head. They have a 7 day no hassle return:
Cycle Gear - Motorcycle Apparel, Parts and Accessories

Good luck!! :thumbup:

+1 on Cycle Gear. That's where I saw sharks on the shelf.

As I was reading the OP's description of finding a helmet, and got to the part where the head was starting to fit, but then the chin was sticking out, I'm sorry but it struck a funny bone. Then I went looking for a picture of the OP and found this! No wonder you're having a hard time! :rof::rof::rof: Joke of course!
picture.php

Then again, I have trouble finding comfy riding boots!
picture.php

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Cycle Gear. That's where I saw sharks on the shelf.

As I was reading the OP's description of finding a helmet, and got to the part where the head was starting to fit, but then the chin was sticking out, I'm sorry but it struck a funny bone. Then I went looking for a picture of the OP and found this! No wonder you're having a hard time! :rof::rof::rof: Joke of course!
picture.php

Then again, I have trouble finding comfy riding boots!
picture.php

Thats what to many shots from your death ray does Cliff :D