Help! Riding gear for vertically challenged....

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in a predicament....I thought after losing weight it would be easier to find a riding suit that would fit. I am not to my goal weight yet (only about half way) so I want to find something to get me through the first part of riding season. I will be starting to ride on the track this spring also, so I need a suit I can wear there too. (I will wear the same suit on the road and on the track.) Anyway, I'm 5"3', my inseam is a whopping 28 inches and I'm almost in a size 14 (16s are getting loose on me). My husband and I have been searching and have only found a Tourmaster that will get me closest to were I am. I just REALLY wanted a girlie looking suit, so disappointed right now. Anyone found nice gear for short people?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What's your budget?

You may want to consider a two piece, and gear from Motoport that is Kevlar specific. They are one of or if not the only maker where most tracks allow their two piece to be used out on the track. And being it's a two piece, it can be used as your primary protective gear during other rides.

I mentioned Motoport because their gear is custom made by providing your own measurements.

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wanting to stay below $500. I'm not going to wear this for long (I hope) and don't want to spend too much on it. My suit I have now is huge on me. No way I can wear it another season so I'm forced to get something else. :-(

Paydrow

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello fellow vertically challenged friend!
I myself have a 29" waist 28" inseam and the only company I have found that fit the bill is Dainese. Expensive but it's worth it.

I own a textile jacket and two textile pants but I'm sure their leather will fit as well as these do.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Kenny. I had custom Kevlar GP Track pants made for me by them and they are my summer pant because of the great protection and ventilation I get. In the winter I wear Alpinestars leather track pants but they've just about seen there better days. My Motoport Kevlars are through 3 seasons and are like new. I can wash and drip dry my Kevlars. I'm also lucky enough to live just 30 minutes down the freeway from them. Wayne Boyer is the owner and he will take care of all your needs and alterations. He is really great to work with.

Pricey but the gear is superior in lasting and protection and actually cheaper in the long run. Style is and issue. Kevlar isn't as great looking as a lot of other gear out there but if it keeps what's under the gear pretty you'll be dressed smart! :)

The warranty/guarantee on his gear can't be beat...Motoport

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going on my 7th year with Motoport Airmesh Kevlar pants. It's my primary gear, wear it probably 300+ days out of the year. Although I have had to send it in a couple of times for repair due to wear and tear, it's stills going. I doubt that any other rider would wear their gear out like myself, so the money spent would be your last.

Whatever you decide, I would wait until your desired weight has been achieved and go from there.

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
This definitely sounds like a possibility later. I'm just not going to find quality and good fit for my frame. After searching all day, looks like I may go with Alpinestars Airwave pants (in men's) and Alpinestars Stella T-GP Plus Air Jacket. I can get them for $350 (for both). Not REAL happy, but not many options right now under $500.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps have your current gear fitted?
Knowing it will sell for less once altered, but you have gear that fits for now....
Just a thought.

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
My gear I have now is huge and it would take a lot to have it altered. Frankly, I'm glad to see it go. I've hated it since I got it. Lol

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered the Joe Rocket Cleo jacket and pants tonight. Still having issues finding leather, but I can wear this on the track we are going to ride at. Hopefully after losing more weight I will be able to find leathers or I'll just have a set made custom.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered the Joe Rocket Cleo jacket and pants tonight. Still having issues finding leather, but I can wear this on the track we are going to ride at. Hopefully after losing more weight I will be able to find leathers or I'll just have a set made custom.

I had a similar but different issue finding track ready gear. I am tall (35" inseam) and found that manufacturers think all women are shorter than 5"7" with a square frame (read-no boobs). I am 5"9" tall and curvy. I found Cortech had a great line of leather pants and jackets that fit just about any body type. I got a full-zip two-piece leather suit for $500. They have plus size, regular size, and tall. I am not sure about petite but probably that too.

How do we get it across to the manufacturers that all different sizes of women ride not just petite, average height, and athletic sized women. And we want just as much protection in our gear as men have. I've looked at gear for men and women. I've compared the same style of men's and womens jackets and pants. The men's gear always have more protection than the women's. Even if I am sitting on the back of a bike and not actually in the riders seat, I want protection. Besides, women are more likely to buy and buy gear as our moods change. Men will wear the same old thing until it's in shreds. Manufacturers are missing out on a huge market and an easy way to increase sales.

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I received my new suit and it fits perfect! Yay! I ordered the upgraded CE certified back armor and my boots. The back armor fits my jacket (it's a little snug since it is a bit thicker). The boots, I can't zip them past my ankles....grrr. I had ordered the Alpinestars SMX-3 boots. Returning them to get the SMX-1 boots since they have a shorter top (but still protects the ankles). I would get the SMX-2 boots, but everyone seems to be out of them.