Need help! (Morgan carbtune pro)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it runs well, you might just have a pin hole vacuum leak somewhere. Consider pulling the air box off and inspecting the hoses. 4 hose clamps and 4 3mm allen cap screws. Your gonna want a LONG reach allen. Like 1/4 to an adapter w/3mm allen - say 8" long. Edit: and the battery and its box. 10mm... Takes maybe 15" tops.
Maybe a hose wore through??

And check these at the bottom. There are 4mm.
picture.php

Vacuum leak FTW! :thumbup:

Glad you found it!

Do you record the original turns out for #1 sync?

Slopeflyer

Reaction score
Visit site
Got it back together. The carbtuner works on all 4 throttle bodies. So I think that problem is solved. Set #1 T.B. At 3/4 turn than sinked the rest. It idles smooth, but I don't feel that it is as responsive and quick as it was last night. Also doesn't start as quickly. Maybe I will have to open up the #1 T.B. ( counterclockwise) to 1 full turn and re- sync.
Do you think this problem being fixed will solve my mpg issues?

P.S. Thank for the great help you guys. I couldn't done it with out and this great forum.:cheer:

Slopeflyer

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I re-synced at#1 T.B. Out 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 out. Runs way better. More responsive,smooth,fast. I don't feel any seat vibration between 4k and 6.5k with very little in the handle bars. I will post my mpg after I commute all week.

Thanks again you guys rock!:rockon:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A vacuum leak would impact mpg because the ecm would be taking two hits for this:
1, low vacuum under load tells it to add more fuel.
2, the o2 sensor would see this and also want to add more fuel.
3, lean makes the temps go up. If the ecm detected this, again, add more fuel....

Ps it would have shown up as low vacuum at the sensor if you knew what it was before. Anyway - thats what it takes to find these things. You have to look!

EDIT: for anyone else who stumbles in here with a related issue; here are some pic's to get a better idea of the vacuum hoses and where and that they do.

PINK BANDS to 1 & 4 on the outside:
picture.php

Labels and descriptions. View from TB Bottom:
picture.php

ROUTING and LOCATIONS:
Green is coolant - all other colors are suspect including the clamps at the throttle body base (not shown in this picture but is above in photo). The blue indicates components that could possible crack. Unlikely, but worthy of inspection IMO.
52095d1392834243-rode-through-flood-have-i-killed-my-engine-intake3-jpg

JJD952 tuneup vacuum

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So wait a minute:

When did the bike go into the shop? And was it to fix the 30 mpg or something else?

FROM: Build your own Manometer for Throttle Body Sync! ~154 2014-09-20
Two things. I built manometer,warmed engine,shut off, installed, restarted it and #4 tube sucked dry immediately then begin to suck air and create bubbles.
Second problem is the TB#3 is comming out under TB#1 and 2. It's sticking out near the upper radiator hose next to the throttle cable. Is this a problem? Do I need to get in there to move it to the other side. I will be changing the two stroke oil I used in the tubes to thicker 10w/40. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P.S. The reason I am going through all this is because I'm only getting 30 miles per gallon.

So, this bike was apart for rusty tank issues and now only gets 30 MPG, but it appears it was doing this before going into the shop and having the #4 sync hose left off??

That changes my opinion of it being a vacuum leak hurting it.

Slopeflyer

Reaction score
Visit site
OK the person I purchased the bike from put it in the shop because he let it sit to long. It would not start. The shop had to clean fuel tank ,replace fuel pump, clean the fuel injectors and ect. When I purchased the bike about two months ago it ran great but I found out that I was only getting 30 mpg. So I read the forum, made a manometer and tried to sync the Throttle bodies. After wasting a day with the homemade manometer and getting nowhere I purchased the Morgan carbtuner. Tried it had the same problem. After looking closely at the hoses on the T.B. like you suggestedI discovered that they were not put on properly. Vacuum line for number 4 was hooked to number 3 and number three wasn't hooked to anything. The shop put the vacuum lines where you would hook the carbtuner for each T.B. in the wrong order so #3 was to short so they just pushed it out on the other side of the bike. Hope this helps you understand. Think I am getting better mpg. Will post at end on week.

Slopeflyer

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I have good news to report. I just filled the tank and I got 48.39 Mpg. Very happy with the results. Spent some money, saved some money, and got a new tool out of it.:thumbup:. Thanks for the help, now it's time to cut the windshield.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I have good news to report. I just filled the tank and I got 48.39 Mpg. Very happy with the results. Spent some money, saved some money, and got a new tool out of it.:thumbup:. Thanks for the help, now it's time to cut the windshield.

Let us know how you accomplish the windshield alteration.

This space intentionally left blank.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Let us know how you accomplish the windshield alteration.

You can tape up the edge of the windshied and use either a jig saw with a fine blade or even better, a band saw again with a fine tooth blade.

For finishing off, you can either file down the edge, or, a ccircular sander with a fine grit disc, or applying just enough heat to the newly cut edge to melt it smooth. (I haven't tried it)

I've cut down down several shields on the FJR. It is IMPORTANT to have plenty of tape whereever your saw will be touching the shield or it will scratch the shield.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the new gas mileage:thumbup:

Its REALLY SAD, when you bring your bike to the shop and they screw it up big time!!! You pay them to make sure its done right and they cause more issues..

I'm really glad you found that leak/issues as it wasn't normal...

Whats even harder is "wrenching" over the Net, assuming ie, NO ONE SCREWED with those hoses(no reason to). Anyone with half a brain would no know NOT to leave that open..(of course we can't see that).

Your issue is EXACTLY WHY my bike does NOT go to the shop un-less I know the mechanic AND its something way over my head...

I'm sure alot was learned by yourself re the troubleshooting procedure and am considerably more experianced with the bike, throttle sync's, etc...

Job well done!! :thumbup: