New FZ6 Owner here with a quick question.

Wadikus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys! Just got my FZ6 about 3 weeks back and I'm curious. What exactly should the engine "sound" like. I know how a bike sounds is really important as a tell to how it is running. Problem is I have no idea if any of the noises i'm hearing are normal or bad. I'm assuming some ticking and general noise is okay seeing as it's an exposed engine right there. I have no loud chatter or rattles like I've seen here.

Bike has 40,000 Kilometers on it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. If you're hearing a ticking sound, it's generally not good news. It most likely involves your cam chain which could be stretched or tensioner. I including many others on this forum have experienced the famous ticking sound.

Wadikus

Reaction score
Visit site
That's just it.. I have no idea exactly what the bike is supposed to "sound" like. Seeing as every video I've been able to find has been recorded when there is an issue...no videos of a good engine with no issues.

Maybe I can take a video tomorrow.

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
That's just it.. I have no idea exactly what the bike is supposed to "sound" like. Seeing as every video I've been able to find has been recorded when there is an issue...no videos of a good engine with no issues.

Maybe I can take a video tomorrow.

Might I suggest you google "FZ6 Ride" and listen to people riding their functional bikes to get a proper idea? Looking up "FZ6 Engine" is going to get you all sorts of weird results.

Wadikus

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. If you're hearing a ticking sound, it's generally not good news. It most likely involves your cam chain which could be stretched or tensioner. I including many others on this forum have experienced the famous ticking sound.

Here is a short video I took. Yes I am aware there is an engine mount bolt missing I have ordered replacement from Yamaha.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxr5I4i-Fgk

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Wadikus

Reaction score
Visit site
Your engine sounds fine. Hope the PO didn't strip that LS engine mount out....

Here's an audio of mine but I have aftermarket (open) pipes on it... Cold start;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127092600@N08/

(video was to show charging voltages at lower RPM's)

Here's to hoping it is not stripped out. I'll find out next week.

Super re-assuring to hear it sounds okay. I just had nothing to compare too.

Cheers! nice bike, what pipes?

Wadikus

Reaction score
Visit site
Your engine sounds fine. Hope the PO didn't strip that LS engine mount out....

Here's an audio of mine but I have aftermarket (open) pipes on it... Cold start;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127092600@N08/

(video was to show charging voltages at lower RPM's)

Awesome... it's glad to hear nothing is wrong. I hope the PO did not strip either.. I'll find out this week at some point.

Nice bike, what exhaust is on it.

Z3R0_zhift

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds normal. Just warm it up a few minutes and go. Perhaps just check any leaks on the seals and monitor for awhile.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Z3R0_zhift

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet pipes. Same model as mine, but more to carbon fibre and chrome ends. [emoji106] [emoji106]

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

That broken bolt that attaches the frame to the engine is very important to get fixed right away., The engine is an integral part of the frame on these and most bikes that are made today.The frame can crack or worse and cause you physical harm.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my bike with right about 2000 miles on it, not even broken in. It has always made a tick, it think it is related to fuel injector noise. It was always been annoying but the bike has run fine.

Wadikus

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

That broken bolt that attaches the frame to the engine is very important to get fixed right away., The engine is an integral part of the frame on these and most bikes that are made today.The frame can crack or worse and cause you physical harm.

Don't worry I havent ridden it since I noticed! waiting for the bolt to come in.