Poll: Most significant solution, for abrupt throttle response?

Most significant solution for abrupt throttle response?

• G2 Throttle tamer

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Power Commander

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Reflash the e-prom

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Don't bother, not significant enough

Votes: 42 70.0%
  • Dont waste your money, get a different bike

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other: Please explain

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Power Commander and I love it. Of course I also have the Leo Vinces, so there you go.

I disagree with the general consensus here that the bad on/off throttle response can be managed in all parts of the powerband by mastering technique alone. I know what you mean about being smooth - the 2007 model I have sure made me get as smooth as possible as quickly as I could. I rode a lot of miles in the mountains before I switched to the Power Commander (after the Vinces, I said what the hell), and a lot of miles since.

The PCIII made it a lot easier to BE smooth. It definitely made a noticeable difference.

:thumbup:

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Power Commander and I love it. Of course I also have the Leo Vinces, so there you go.

I disagree with the general consensus here that the bad on/off throttle response can be managed in all parts of the powerband by mastering technique alone. I know what you mean about being smooth - the 2007 model I have sure made me get as smooth as possible as quickly as I could. I rode a lot of miles in the mountains before I switched to the Power Commander (after the Vinces, I said what the hell), and a lot of miles since.

The PCIII made it a lot easier to BE smooth. It definitely made a noticeable difference.

:thumbup:

Thanks for your input, because I've been considering getting a PCIII for a bit now and was wondering if it was worth it. I have the Leo's as well.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your input, because I've been considering getting a PCIII for a bit now and was wondering if it was worth it. I have the Leo's as well.

I have LV's and just took off PCIII. I tried itfor couple of month - bought in may and it did not make any difference for me. Taking time and practicing - did. Make me an offer - see for sale section :)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Mongol, riding skill has no impact on the fact that the FZ6 does not perform at par with other bikes in this respect.

I don't think anyone denies the importance of throttle control or the fact that a skilled rider can ride around a bikes imperfections, suspension, brakes, fueling, or otherwise.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Mongol, riding skill has no impact on the fact that the FZ6 does not perform at par with other bikes in this respect.

I don't think anyone denies the importance of throttle control or the fact that a skilled rider can ride around a bikes imperfections, suspension, brakes, fueling, or otherwise.

I am not arguing at all. But I think the OP's question is what can be done about it and not discussion of technical fix vs skills fix.
As I said in one of my posts - FZ6 does not have most linear curve and in my opinion skills is the best investment. And don't get me wrong - I am not againts mods or add-on, quite the opposite - I am spending too much money on them. And may be for OP it is right way to go. But I wish someone had a good skills talk with me when I started riding.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I understand. Its a great point and it should always be voiced.

The purpose of my post was to piont out that your point, as shared by others, has been made several times over already. It is a blatantly obvious point. On the otherhand, the mechanical aspects of improving the bike are less clear, and relevant regardless of rider technique.

In other words:

Throttle control, duly noted, now how can one improve te bike?

Vs

Throttle control eliminates any justifiable desire to sort out the bike.

Last edited:

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the physical twisting of the throttle is an aspect toward better throttle control and some might even say that's the majority of all of the phenomena. But the poll was more geared toward the the single "most" mechanical side of eliminating the phenomena for this particular bike in general if there is any. There is no right or wrong answer here, so long as the answer is in topic and correct.

Last edited:

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree - I noticed that after my Mon crash I am a little carried away and trying to preach learning skills to anyone who would listen! I think I am going a bit coockoo!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking for yet another improvement to the bike. I thought of adding a little more power! But then again what good is it if the bike isn't smooth handling of that power. So I would like to address the abrupt throttle response on my bike. The rolling off of the throttle, then the rolling on is extremely sensitive. What I would refer to as hardly smooth. Through the course of reviewing many contributing factors to the abrupt throttle response. In light of research on this site, I have narrowed it down to some general solutions to minimize the herky, jerky abrupt throttle response.
My question is; what will have the most significant impact of minimizing abrupt throttle response?
I have to admit it is the most undesirable aspect of owning the bike.
You haven't mentioned the most cost effective and easiest method. Which rectifies a good proportion of the issue.
Adjust the throttle cable slack and ensure engine idle speed is correct.

Neil

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just cover my clutch always and if it is to abrubt or "jerky" under deceleration I simply disengage the clutch enough to smooth it out.... (feather the clutch) will stop a back wheel from getting out from under you, especially on a slick surface.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Course changed my outlook on a lot of things. If I was OP - I would focus on getting more miles under the belt and learning how to control throttle in nano-increments. I never believed it would be possible on FZ6 but after course and practice - smooth as butter. And you can apply it to any bike.
And OP is in California - should be really easy for him to get spot in Level I and Level II (I recommend about 1 month minimum between the two)
Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic - I wish I could've attend the one with Lee himself but our instructors were phenomenal so no regrets, best mod your money can buy.

I agree training helps, but fuel cut on this bike is a fact of life. When you're in a big sweeper and go to apply maintenance throttle and nothing happens, that is not rider skill. That is dry intakes waiting to rewet, then BAM, they hit. That is fuel cut and while training can help you anticipate the problem, it will not solve the problem. The OP was asking for the most significant solution to the issue, reflash and it is no longer an issue.

My '05 R6, pretty much the same motor as the FZ6, with a Yamaha KIT ECU has no fuel cut at all. It is like a reostat, like CV carbs. Very easy to ride, and very easy to dial in tiny amounts of throttle.

My '07 FZ6, was terrible. A tune with the PC3 helped a lot, but it was still there.

My '06 FZ1 had pretty bad fuel cut, not as bad as the FZ6, and an ECUnleashed reflashed solved all of the problems and the Power Commander was not longer needed. To me the reflash is the best value.

And just to compare apples to apples, I've been to a number of track day riding schools so I fully understand your point.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree training helps, but fuel cut on this bike is a fact of life. When you're in a big sweeper and go to apply maintenance throttle and nothing happens, that is not rider skill. That is dry intakes waiting to rewet, then BAM, they hit. That is fuel cut and while training can help you anticipate the problem, it will not solve the problem.

This is the exact example I am referring too.:thumbup: Driving a 60 to 70 mile a day commute with combination of many twisties, freeway driving and some minor in town. As fast as I am racking miles up on this bike, I wouldn't mine smoothing out the bike a bit.

There are many great solutions here, I like them all. I can't say I have track experience, but I can't say I have no experience. Regardless of buying my first bike. I grew up with bikes and I have ridden a few carburated, in light of being quite a few years ago. I like the idea of an intermediate class. There is a decent checklist to go with just based on the whole thread.

Has anyone here reflashed an FZ6?

Clearly, people have used a power commander and also a throttle tamer. Just out of curiosity.

If anyone has reflashed a E-prom on a bike what should one be ready to expect to do before and after receiving the reprogrammed ECU?

Last edited:

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're going to reflash eeprom i would suggest making backup of current firmware. You never know what the outcome can be (ie 80k more on odometer ?:) and you might want to revert this change and go back stock.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're going to reflash eeprom i would suggest making backup of current firmware. You never know what the outcome can be (ie 80k more on odometer ?:) and you might want to revert this change and go back stock.

An owner can't reflash the ECU. You have to send it in, hence no back up. It's a Yamaha thing, unlike Suzuki and others.

dz0

Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting thread.
I was riding to work the other day thinking, if this were my kids' first bike, what would I want to do to it to make it more manageable for a beginner street rider. One of the first things I though of was replacing the 1/4 turn throttle with an old-school half turn throttle. Or to look into if they make a 1/3 turn+ throttle. This would tame the wrist control needed a bit and make your larger hand movements seem smaller to the bike.... just a thought.

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,
I'm a new rider, the worst kind, old, 48, short, 5'6", and a long time cyclist. First bike was a Virago 250, and even on that, my throttle control was a work in progress. On the FZ6, 2007, I'm worried about it most of the time. I'm going to try the G2 throttle tamer, check my idle speed, and lube the cables while I'm at it. I can't imagine being leaned over sportbike style and trying to control the throttle!

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget to measure chain length to make sure it in spec.
Check chain tension
Lube chain

Do a throttle body sync.

Last edited:

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Idiot querstion I know but being in the UK I havent heard of a G2- what is that?

I get the jerky stuff when I go into a corner on a closed throttle- something you dont get with carbs. I try very hard to have some throttle control and not go into a corner on a closed one but I use engine braking and that demands a closed throttle so I am not sure how to overcome that dichotomy!!