Poll: Most significant solution, for abrupt throttle response?

Most significant solution for abrupt throttle response?

• G2 Throttle tamer

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Power Commander

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Reflash the e-prom

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Don't bother, not significant enough

Votes: 42 70.0%
  • Dont waste your money, get a different bike

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other: Please explain

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking for yet another improvement to the bike. I thought of adding a little more power! But then again what good is it if the bike isn't smooth handling of that power. So I would like to address the abrupt throttle response on my bike. The rolling off of the throttle, then the rolling on is extremely sensitive. What I would refer to as hardly smooth. Through the course of reviewing many contributing factors to the abrupt throttle response. In light of research on this site, I have narrowed it down to some general solutions to minimize the herky, jerky abrupt throttle response.
My question is; what will have the most significant impact of minimizing abrupt throttle response?

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking for yet another improvement to the bike. I thought of adding a little more power! But then again what good is it if the bike isn't smooth handling of that power. So I would like to address the abrupt throttle response on my bike. The rolling off of the throttle, then the rolling on is extremely sensitive. What I would refer to as hardly smooth. Through the course of reviewing many contributing factors to the abrupt throttle response. In light of research on this site, I have narrowed it down to some general solutions to minimize the herky, jerky abrupt throttle response.
My question is; what will have the most significant impact of minimizing abrupt throttle response?

I think the only thing that could help this situation is getting a PCIII and generating a map that suits your tastes.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From my experience, proper chain tension makes a pretty big difference, but only if your chain is currently too loose (don't make it too tight either though.. it needs to be set to spec).
Honestly though.. many fuel injected bikes are like this and the best thing you can do is to learn to be super smooth getting off and on the power. Upgrade your technique, not the bike :D

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
What Erci said. The throttle response is exactly as smooth as your throttle hand.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Rider skill aside, the fact is that this issue is real and there is nothing wrong with trying to improve the bike's performance.

G2 throttle cam
Slightly higher idle
Adjust slack in your throttle (after installing cam)
Confirm chain is adjusted within spec
Keep your TBs synched

The above cost me $65 and combined with the kilernoodle slave mod, made the bike a real dream off the line, around town, down shifting, clutching wheelies, and on/off the throttle in low gear at high RPM. I'm not one to add pipes or bling, but I like a well sorted bike.

The PC3 plus tune is the expensive way to go.

OldeDude

What, No Knobbies?
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above.

Maybe it's because I've raced 2-Stroke dirt bikes for years, and you can set up a YZ250 to come on like a light switch, so I've never noticed that the FZ6 has any throttle issues. In my mind it is all about throttle control.

Nappa

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't get why when someone wants to fix some aspect of the bike, they get a bunch of replies that basically say get used to it. But if someone says they think the bike is too quiet they get a hundred responses on which set of pipes to buy.
I find the throttle a bit jerky too, and I wouldn't mind making it better. I don't want to give up and say, oh that's just the way it is and I'll have to adjust to a poor function. If that were the case, I could have left the suspension stock too, and a few other things.
Let's see what solutions are workable.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't get why when someone wants to fix some aspect of the bike, they get a bunch of replies that basically say get used to it. But if someone says they think the bike is too quiet they get a hundred responses on which set of pipes to buy.
I find the throttle a bit jerky too, and I wouldn't mind making it better. I don't want to give up and say, oh that's just the way it is and I'll have to adjust to a poor function. If that were the case, I could have left the suspension stock too, and a few other things.
Let's see what solutions are workable.

I get what you're saying. But the OP did say he's looking for the most significant solution, and certainly technique can't be discounted. ;)

I wouldn't call the throttle thing a poor function, though. I pretty much suck at all things mechanical, and at first I was horrified by my FZ6's twitchy throttle. But, having ridden other bikes and talked with other people who ride various bikes, now I think the throttle of the elderly bike I learned on (and still ride sometimes) is sluggish, and my FZ6 is zippy, not twitchy.

For the record, I like the quiet stock pipes, too, but I'm lowering my suspension because no amount of riding/practice is going to make my legs longer.

Last edited:

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a g2 a juice box pro and r6 cams. It has all improved throttle response but with all of that on my bike it still comes down to a steady throttle hand and that works the best.

OldeDude

What, No Knobbies?
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't get why when someone wants to fix some aspect of the bike, they get a bunch of replies that basically say get used to it .........................
You know, when I stop at a traffic light and don't take my feet off the pegs my bike tips over! Any ideas on how to remedy this deficiency in the FZ6? I was thinking maybe some kind of outriggers mounted near the rear of the bike, perhaps with some small wheels on them. Or maybe just get one of those Can-Ams with the two wheels in front. :D

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
I notice this when I'm out trying to corner harder. I race mx, so I'm pretty sure I'm able to be smooth with a throttle since some of our tracks are hard packed clay and when it rains, it's like cement with oil sludge on the top and I can handle that.

My biggest thing to smooth it out, is to not be so high in the rev range, so go up a gear if it's too twitchy. Smooth is fast.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
You know, when I stop at a traffic light and don't take my feet off the pegs my bike tips over! Any ideas on how to remedy this deficiency in the FZ6? I was thinking maybe some kind of outriggers mounted near the rear of the bike, perhaps with some small wheels on them. Or maybe just get one of those Can-Ams with the two wheels in front. :D
Might I suggest the following? :BLAA: ;)
114352.jpg

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, great group of responses so far. I love to see the various opinions, great suggestions, and the off topic comments. Keep'em coming...:D

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I too thought that throttle is on/off. I got PCIII (for sale btw - shameless plug :D) and tried other things as well.
During Lee Park's Total Control course one of the first excercises is throttle control. And it serves as foundation for pretty much everything else they teach in the course. I voiced my concern to instructor right away. He asked me to give excercise a try and see what I think at the end.
What can I say - I have no more complaints. Sure, there are bike's with more linear response but +1000 to other posts in this forum - it is all in your head and it directly controls what your hand will do to your throttle.
I highly recommend the course and you can always start with the book (same name on amazon)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel cut on the FZ6 is pretty bad. The FZ1 guys complain about it all the time, but compared to the FZ6, the FZ1 has none.

All of the things people have listed will help, but the only true solution is a reflash of the ECU.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel cut on the FZ6 is pretty bad. The FZ1 guys complain about it all the time, but compared to the FZ6, the FZ1 has none.

All of the things people have listed will help, but the only true solution is a reflash of the ECU.

Course changed my outlook on a lot of things. If I was OP - I would focus on getting more miles under the belt and learning how to control throttle in nano-increments. I never believed it would be possible on FZ6 but after course and practice - smooth as butter. And you can apply it to any bike.
And OP is in California - should be really easy for him to get spot in Level I and Level II (I recommend about 1 month minimum between the two)
Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic - I wish I could've attend the one with Lee himself but our instructors were phenomenal so no regrets, best mod your money can buy.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I notice this when I'm out trying to corner harder. I race mx, so I'm pretty sure I'm able to be smooth with a throttle since some of our tracks are hard packed clay and when it rains, it's like cement with oil sludge on the top and I can handle that.

My biggest thing to smooth it out, is to not be so high in the rev range, so go up a gear if it's too twitchy. Smooth is fast.

If I read this right, I do the opposite. That is I gear down and when its above 5k all the time, you don't notice it!!!
But when I hit the chop, you sure feel it. I'd love to flash it more than anything because I think if done run right it, it'll get some more midrange as perk. Unfortunately its the most expensive tweak! :thumbdown:

Last edited: