Ride Report- Keller's Peak

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Jblk9695(Jerry) and Cali rider(John) and I went for a great ride yesterday. Riding out to Jerry's place in Crestline, Ca. and doing some touring through the mountains makes me appreciate even more all the times Jerry, John and others do the long trek to San Diego to ride with us. It has also solidified the idea that I would like to have an adventure bike as my next ride. I love my SV and it is so much fun to whip through turns but I'd like to ride to more distant places and do more touring.

Yesterday was beautiful weather for us. In the higher elevations it was cool and the lower elevations it was warm.

Some of the roads were covered in large pine cones, fallen rock, and sand and we passed without incident.

Keller's Peak is at 7,800 feet elevation and we climbed the steep staircase to the fire station lookout that is manned by volunteers. There is still snow in spots there from last week.

We toured some awesome roads and had some great Mexican food for lunch.

Thank you Jerry and John for a great day of friendship and riding!

Arrowhead Lake
PB050012.JPG

PB050011.JPG

Keller's Peak
PB050016.JPG

PB050015.JPG

PB050024.JPG

PB050027.JPG

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing pics and it sounds like an amazing ride :drool:
I just love reading the Cali group stuff, nothing better than great friends on a great ride :rockon:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jealous - looks beautiful there AND you get to ride WITH those guys :)

WITH THOSE GUYS hahahah

Thanks Bren ;)

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
and you get to ride those guys :)

Edit Karen.......Edit!!!!! Blah

Looks lovely Cliff, in that last pic, I can see a road going over the top of a hill there.....get yourself a little Yamaha XT like mine and Kenny's and go ride that!
Oh and kudo's to John for not flipping us off in any of the pics ;)

Last edited:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Good one Karen, but we don't swing that wayBlah
Few more pics from a great day of riding and exploring and after some of the roads we went on, with very sharp up hill hair pins, Cliff really started thinking about an adventure bike:rolleyes:

IMGP1228.jpg

IMGP1231.jpgp:

IMGP1231.jpg

IMGP1233.jpg

Lake Arrowhead
IMGP1234.jpg

IMGP1242.jpg

IMGP1243.jpg

IMGP1251.jpg

IMGP1252.jpg

IMGP1254.jpg

Deep Creek Cafe, great food
IMGP1257.jpg

Jerry

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Edit Karen.......Edit!!!!! Blah

Looks lovely Cliff, in that last pic, I can see a road going over the top of a hill there.....get yourself a little Yamaha XT like mine and Kenny's and go ride that!
Oh and kudo's to John for not flipping us off in any of the pics ;)

Lol! Hahaha! John didn't show the bird this time but I did! Lol!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff wanting and riding an adventure bike? What would you get?

(cough)V-strom(/cough)

I'm thinking of an economical route and like the idea of a long range bike.

I've been looking at the new 2015 Suzuki V Strom 650 XT. In 2012 they did some great changes to V Strom 650 which was already a very capable and reliable bike. They now use the Gladius V Twin that's been re-cammed and mapped for better use in the adventure bike. Valve lash is simple on these twins because of the hybrid gear and chain drive. Again this year they came out with an even better package over the 2012 model. I like the bigger tank and the idea that I could do more exploring off road trails here in the Anza Borrego Desert or hit the hiway for longer excursions than I would normally do on the SV.

Oh yeah.... I can put stuff in boxes... Lol!

Don't get me wrong. I would really miss the SV1000s but I'm also trying to keep an eye toward the future and having the most fun and experience I can get from motorcycling. :)

suzuki-v-strom-650-xt-2015_1.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of an economical route and like the idea of a long range bike.

I've been looking at the new 2015 Suzuki V Strom 650 XT. In 2012 they did some great changes to V Strom 650 which was already a very capable and reliable bike. They now use the Gladius V Twin that's been re-cammed and mapped for better use in the adventure bike. Valve lash is simple on these twins because of the hybrid gear and chain drive. Again this year they came out with an even better package over the 2012 model. I like the bigger tank and the idea that I could do more exploring off road trails here in the Anza Borrego Desert or hit the hiway for longer excursions than I would normally do on the SV.

Oh yeah.... I can put stuff in boxes... Lol!

Don't get me wrong. I would really miss the SV1000s but I'm also trying to keep an eye toward the future and having the most fun and experience I can get from motorcycling. :)

I've ridden both 650 and 1000 DLs (2014 models). Both outstanding bikes. Personally, I'd go with 1000 (especially if I was coming from SV1k). I was shocked that the 1000 still got 50mpg.
Both bikes were very pleasant to ride and both felt extremely similar, except 650 required much more frequent shifting (as to be expected). Very much like comparing FZ6 and FZ1 (but no big fuel eco hit!)
The seat height is definitely something to get used to on these, coming from a sport(y) bike.

Take'em both for a spin before you settle on 650, Cliff.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, Cliff, Cliff.... get one of these bad boys, throw on some knobs and those so called adventure turds will be eating dust all day.

IMG_1164-1_zpsbc8310dc.jpg

Bawahahaha :Flip:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The T stands for travel so it has a 5 gal tank. I usually look for fuel around the 165 mile mark but with easy riding (like that would ever happen) a guy could get close to 200 miles out of a tank.
Out of all the bikes I have owned this one is by far the most FUN!!!
However after 350 miles of the v twin vibs my butt is about done.