Shoei Neotec reviewed

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
Just received my deep matte grey Neotec. Was deciding between Neotec or the new gt air as I was looking for an internal sun visor. Figured since I already have a full face (Qwest) and have tried so many flip ups it was time to go for the creme de la creme of flip ups.

I knew the Neotec fit me perfectly just like the Qwest. It's as if they used my head as a mold for both. I was only reluctant because of the price but I've tried the HJC symax 3 and the Nolan n90.

The hjc felt like there were sharp edges. Also it felt shallow like it didn't come down far enough. Same with the n90 in terms of shallowness. Also, the n90's liner just felt awful. I have buzzed hair and it had this squeaky feeling when I put it on. Neither one fit my head even though webbikeworld called them both round/neutral.

Back to the neotec. Bare in mind I have a Madstad screen installed so that definitely affects wind noise. The neotec is about as quiet as the Qwest. EXCEPT when you open the top vent. As noted on other reviews, it gets very loud with the top vent open. The chin vent is mediocre and I can't figure out the exhaust vent on the rear which way is open.

I would say the Neotec is a great winter helmet. With everything closed, the helmet feels very airtight. With the pinlock installed, it's perfect for those cold nights.

With the Madstad, I can ride with the visor open and the sun visor down up to 80 mph which helps on warmer days.

The internal visor is awesome. It could go down a centimeter more but not a big deal.

All in all a great helmet. Feels like a whole class above the hjc and nolan.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Been a Shoei owner since day one. I am also following the same path as you, debating on getting the Neotec or the new GT Air. I have a Qwest too. I replace my helmet every two years. Being a daily rider takes it's toll on the wear and tear of the helmet.

It will probably come down to how well I like the graphics, although both really don't impress me. I don't like appearance of a one colored helmet.

Thanks for posting.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering about the neotec. But the Shoei are just a little too round for me. I'm an intermediate oval at best.

I did try on the Schuberth C3. It was pretty amazing although I did have to wear a size bigger than what my head measures. Nobody has a Neotec near me and the $700 price tag on the C3 is daunting.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering about the neotec. But the Shoei are just a little too round for me. I'm an intermediate oval at best.

I did try on the Schuberth C3. It was pretty amazing although I did have to wear a size bigger than what my head measures. Nobody has a Neotec near me and the $700 price tag on the C3 is daunting.

Send Dustin a pm, he just ordered a C3 for $500! Can't beat that price, if I hadn't bought a Neotec last fall I'd be all over the C3.

FX4210

Reaction score
Visit site
Could you post some pictures of the helmet? I am debating same as you were.. I really lve the look of the GT air but the functionality of the neotec is holding me back.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
I will post pics later this evening. I have the matte deep grey but have seen themetallic colors also in store. The metallic paint is spot on. Still not sure about the matte grey. Feeling like I shouldve gone with the matte black.

FX4210

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright great looking forward to seeing it. As far as the matte gray goes I've loved it on the Mercs I've seen it on. I've already had matte black helmets and kind of want to try something new.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
Been a Shoei owner since day one. I am also following the same path as you, debating on getting the Neotec or the new GT Air. I have a Qwest too. I replace my helmet every two years. Being a daily rider takes it's toll on the wear and tear of the helmet.

It will probably come down to how well I like the graphics, although both really don't impress me. I don't like appearance of a one colored helmet.

Thanks for posting.

Well if it comes down to graphics then it'll definitely be the gt air. The neotec only comes in one graphic and it's not very cool. Unless your Qwest is really old I'd feel the gtair is just too close to the Qwest. I like having the option of the two.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
20130118_101156.jpg

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Great color. I finally found a place that had a neotec in my size and tried it on. Very comparable to the C3. I'd give the C3 a slight nod advantage because the cheek pads weren't too bad. Can you post in a couple weeks (500 mile) after riding a bit to let us know how break in goes? If the shoei brakes in at the cheek pad I might sway back that way.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
Will do. I did notice there are removable pads in the ear holes. Taking those out gave the sensation of a bit more room towards the lower half of the helmet.

And obviously there's the option of getting smaller cheek pads. Although at almost $50, yikes! They're expensive.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
Did a few hundred miles with the ear hole pads out. Made a huge difference! The lower half definitely felt much roomier and also got rid of some booming at high speeds. I think with the ear pads in they were in direct contact with my ears so a lot more vibration and wind noise was being directly transmitted.

So when you try the helmet on in the store, try taking out the ear pads and see if that helps with fit/comfort.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled the trigger on the Neotec at the weekend, apparently I've got a round shaped head and most helmets didn't fit well, but the shoei did :thumbup:. At first I was a bit put off by the price but when the sales woman asked if I had recieved their winter magazine, and if not did I want one, anyway turns out that there was a 20% reduction voucher in it :cheer:

Great color. I finally found a place that had a neotec in my size and tried it on. Very comparable to the C3. I'd give the C3 a slight nod advantage because the cheek pads weren't too bad. Can you post in a couple weeks (500 mile) after riding a bit to let us know how break in goes? If the shoei brakes in at the cheek pad I might sway back that way.

Will do. I did notice there are removable pads in the ear holes. Taking those out gave the sensation of a bit more room towards the lower half of the helmet.
And obviously there's the option of getting smaller cheek pads. Although at almost $50, yikes! They're expensive.

I found the cheek pads a bit tight on the shoei, but as it was one of the best fits overall I'm going to see if they break in easily, otherwise I could always buy the smaller ones.

I'm replacing my Nolan N101 which I still think is/was a great helmet, but it was 8 years old :eek:.When I first started looking I thought I would be OK with the Nolan N104 as it was a replacement (after the N102 & N103) for my current N101 which fits like a glove, but over the years they have changed the shape from round to narrow/oval :(

I tried many other helmets which just didn't fit (apparently I'm deformed ;))I also tried the schuberth which fitted well on my head but I found that the strap of the new C3 sat further back than most and that the clip sat right on my adams apple :( (This is probably due to the fact that I have a fairly short stocky neck).

Anyway I ordered the Neotec in silver so I'll have to wait a week or two before I can pick it up, I will of course write a review after I've had time to try it out :thumbup:

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The cheek pads should be a bit tight when the helmet is new, they will break in after some riding time.
Looking forward to your review.