Stator issues

coonrad

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a grounded stator earlier this summer. removed the stator to inspect and found some of the epoxy on the steel tabs was broken and starting to deteriorate as well. found a spot where wires grounded and wire coating was burned pretty good. spent a bit of time cleaning it up, managed to separate the burned wires from the steel rotor, and epoxied them again. Worked perfect all summer but no it isn't charging again. any advice on how to clean this item really well so I can repair it to last longer?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/37991-how-re-build-your-stator.html

I found epoxy degrades after a couple of years, better to use the proper shellac stuff, not sure where you get it though.

FWIW: We buy and use aerospace grade epoxy which is intended for very high temperatures (sustained 500°F) and has high electrical resistance so as not to add impedance to a circuit. It passes hi-pot testing at 5000 volts with no breakdown leakage and is oil proof. It works best if oven cured at 200°F for 4 hours.

For our application its pumped into a custom dispenser as it normally ships in quart or gallon containers; thus getting a small quantity could be tricky.

Epoxy is out there if someone needs it.

Greg, are you saying the epoxy is what failed on yours? Also, I'll say it again; Great effort here! :thumbup::thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
The one I repaired failed 2 years later, I just used cheap fibre glass epoxy, it cracked a little, which I think caused the problem. Luckily I had a spare that I bought from somebody here.

I was going to ask what kind of insulator/epoxy to use, as I improvised somewhat.

coonrad

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I used a marine epoxy as that was right at my fingertips. anyway, anyone know how to get the piece clean and oil free? can I boil it in some detergent or something? or just use a degreaser? thoughts?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I used brake cleaner to get the oil off mine

If it's burned through then it would be worth doing some continuity and resistance measurements to check for shorts.

It should be the same value of around 0.4ohms between each terminal, and there should be no continuity to ground (the metal core)

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm impressed! Congrats to you for the effort to fix that. If the wires are not burned thru and can be insulated from each other and the stator lamination insulation is not damaged then re-epoxy using good epoxy as mentioned above. Coil wire is insulated using a shellac insulation which only has to insulated the turn to turn voltage difference. The coils are coated with epoxy to protect and hold the wires in place to prevent wear from rubbing.

I have a failed stator which you could have but the shipping would probably be too much. I had one coil blackened and replaced the whole stator - my long term solution was to replace the stator with another which just happened to be attached to a CBR600RR :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a failed stator which you could have but the shipping would probably be too much. I had one coil blackened and replaced the whole stator - my long term solution was to replace the stator with another which just happened to be attached to a CBR600RR :)

:spank::spank: Good One! Thanks for the chuckle! :thumbup:

Back on topic:
If the windings burned, I'm not sure how you'd ever get it back to usable condition as the effect of heat essentially makes that a weak link which is now prone to repeating the same event. It changes the structure of the wire inside which makes it less capable of efficiently conducting current.

MAF cleaner is better than brake cleaner as it leaves less particulates behind. Although you might use more of it. I wish you luck trying to recover this stator. Can you toss up a picture or two of how bad it is? Tks

coonrad

Reaction score
Visit site
just an update. Stator failed again in October. I have it removed but the snowmobile season has taken over and haven't really had time to get it cleaned up and repaired. Just looking at the YZF600 stators on ebay. They have a pick up wired in as well. wondering if the stator is the same without the pickup? looks like the pick up wiring is just taped to the stator harness. maybe I could use this in the fz6??? don't see any fz6 stators on here for sale. love to hear your educated thoughts on this.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
just an update. Stator failed again in October. I have it removed but the snowmobile season has taken over and haven't really had time to get it cleaned up and repaired. Just looking at the YZF600 stators on ebay. They have a pick up wired in as well. wondering if the stator is the same without the pickup? looks like the pick up wiring is just taped to the stator harness. maybe I could use this in the fz6??? don't see any fz6 stators on here for sale. love to hear your educated thoughts on this.
I thought someone on the forum already found that the R6 stator does not physically fit.
You could cross reference the part number between the 2 models.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought someone on the forum already found that the R6 stator does not physically fit.
You could cross reference the part number between the 2 models.

I think it physically fits (IIRC) but had other issues...
I cant imagine Marine Grade epoxy would withstand the temperatures + vibes and the added kicker of oil submersion.
See where used below. FZ only...
5VX-81410-00-00 YAMAHA STATOR ASSY