they leaned my fz6 against a wall

+1 ........ this is what parking spaces are for.........

There was a case in OR recently, where a club member on an American cruiser parked his bike in the striped area between handicapped spaces, which makes it darn difficult for the people with wheelchairs to get in and out of their vehicles. I view that as highly inconsiderate.

Apparently, the person with the handicap placard thought much the same, and pulled a gun on said cruiser rider. That ended up with the gun owner shooting himself, and the other party not being cited.

Police: Fight over mall parking spot leaves one shot | Vancouver News

This kind of 'crud' is completely avoidable.
How does a M/C rider get in an argument so heated that a handicaped man would feel the need to pull a gun on him? thats like threatining to beat on a woman in my book.....I would bet money that said M/C rider is a Punk Bi%ch!! :spank:

That blows :Flip:. I do the CCTV for Target. They most likely have it on video. They probably won't show you, however they police can review the video if you file a report. Good Luck.

How does a M/C rider get in an argument so heated that a handicaped man would feel the need to pull a gun on him? thats like threatining to beat on a woman in my book.....I would bet money that said M/C rider is a Punk Bi%ch!! :spank:

If I recall the event as I watched it on the news, the rider was trying to earn his patch for the club he was joining..... that might explain a lot of the situation. The news didn't come out and say that, but his vest had a 'real' club patch on the back....

As I said, the rider created the situation in my view. Whether he is charged with anything or not is immaterial to his 'starting it'.

What passes for 'acceptable' between riders, and the general public isn't always going to be the same. Where I can almost understand the whole 'I can have my bike be as loud as I want' thing, it's tougher to suck up the 'I can park wherever I darn well please'..... Where does personal freedom end, and personal responsibility begin?

Wil Rogers, many years ago, said that "Personal freedom ends, at the tip of your nose." I believe that. We don't have the right to inflict ourselves on others. Nor do they have the right to do so to us.

Although I absolutely agree regarding the parking in handicapped access areas I disagree on the sidewalk parking. It seems silly to me to take up an entire parking space for something as small as a motorcycle, especially somewhere like target where there is a half mile of sidewalk between the curb and the store. Just my 2 cents.
We have specific motorcycle spaces in Perth car parks. Also, a lot of us tend to park next to another bike - 2 bikes per car space.

You don't have these spaces in the states?

The person who pulled the gun and shooting himself in the leg :rof: Definatley got what they deserved.

As far as parking in the white striped area next to the disabled spot, I will only do so if I know that my bike will not be interfering with a vehicle that is van accessible, as it requires extra space. If I know that there is room for these type of vehicles, I will then park. But you never know these days, you could have a cut on your toe and they will give you a disabled tag. It's so abused.

When I borrow my parents car when I go visit them up in Portland, I alway take the Handicapped Tag down from the mirror.

As far as other areas besides designated parking spaces, I am the King of parking my bike in those areas. But only if my bike is not disrupting the flow of traffic or blocking the normal path of travel. Sometimes next to the bike rack too. But I'm a firm believer that every place should have motorcycle parking, just like there should be disable parking. All we need is one stall.

Last edited:
There might be one store in 30 in my area that have designated MC parking.

That sucks.

No wonder we end up parking on the pavement (sidewalk...). I haven't had to do this yet - I've always been lucky with parks.

Even in our country towns, when we go on long rides, the cafes have m/c parks out the front - very handy.

The person who pulled the gun and shooting himself in the leg :rof: Definatley got what they deserved.

As far as parking in the white striped area next to the disabled spot, I will only do so if I know that my bike will not be interfering with a vehicle that is van accessible, as it requires extra space. If I know that there is room for these type of vehicles, I will then park. But you never know these days, you could have a cut on your toe and they will give you a disabled tag. It's so abused.

When I borrow my parents car when I go visit them up in Portland, I alway take the Handicapped Tag down from the mirror.

As far as other areas besides designated parking spaces, I am the King of parking my bike in those areas. But only if my bike is not disrupting the flow of traffic or blocking the normal path of travel. Sometimes next to the bike rack too. But I'm a firm believer that every place should have motorcycle parking, just like there should be disable parking. All we need is one stall.

We're not disagreeing, here. Done with a large dose of common sense, and a small portion of humility a bike can be a huge advantage when it comes to parking. Or commuting, for that matter. Act like a bung hole, and it'll go south. Maybe not right away, but it will..... and it may happen after you've been 'getting away with it' for so long you come to think of whatever behavior is objected to as your 'right'. We all know when we do stuff that someone is going to object to........:spank:

I have the opinion that most of the folks who carry firearms (read that as concealed weapons, and read that as pistols) 'for protection' are much more likely to be involved in a shooting.... and quite often are themselves shot. Or a loved one. Just like riding a bike.... add drugs, alcohol, too little sleep, too much stress, too much anger...... bad things happen.:eek:

Even when everything goes right, bad stuff can still occur.

Reduce the risk. Sleep better.

We're not disagreeing, here. Done with a large dose of common sense, and a small portion of humility a bike can be a huge advantage when it comes to parking. Or commuting, for that matter. Act like a bung hole, and it'll go south. Maybe not right away, but it will..... and it may happen after you've been 'getting away with it' for so long you come to think of whatever behavior is objected to as your 'right'. We all know when we do stuff that someone is going to object to........:spank:

I have the opinion that most of the folks who carry firearms (read that as concealed weapons, and read that as pistols) 'for protection' are much more likely to be involved in a shooting.... and quite often are themselves shot. Or a loved one. Just like riding a bike.... add drugs, alcohol, too little sleep, too much stress, too much anger...... bad things happen.:eek:

Even when everything goes right, bad stuff can still occur.

Reduce the risk. Sleep better.

Well said, covers most of what I think about it except the concealed carry thing, some people carry everyday of their life without even their spouse or friends knowing if they are or not. (Sometimes people around them are more aggressive if they know someone is armed.)

I noticed you said "most", if that is true, maybe "most" sportbike riders are sqids in shorts and tennis shoes and are more likely to hurt themselves or others than people who legally carry. There are always people who ruin things for others.

I bet there are a lot more people than you think who carry that never have an issue, like there are a lot of good riders around the world that never go down or endanger anyone else, wear their gear, etc. The squids in their shorts don't represent every rider out there, and every hood rat that carries a pistol does not represent the rest of the people who carry concealed.

Maybe I should have posted on the rant page?

Anyway, that's MY opinion, off topic, maybe? No animosity to you for your opinion, just fired up mine.

Back to the sidewalk/ handicap parking thing, if I were in a wheelchair and no longer able to ride my FZ6 and someone who had the privilege of working legs parked their vehicle in my way, I would think they are more than inconsiderate. I would think people with working legs could walk a little to keep their vehicle unscathed. Guys with showcars never park up front, they park in the empty part of the lot and walk. But to those malicious souls who would vandalize a bike even out of the way claiming righteousness get no mercy, they suck. For the record I do park in front of stores sometimes, but I think it through. ( And yes I do understand that parking a cycle in the back of the lot has it's own risks, but I don't shop on my FZ6, I ride it for pleasure, usually in less populated areas, I take my car to the stores,)

Last edited:
I park in car spots usually if one is in what I deem to be a safe place for my bike. At Walmart in my town, I park at the bike rack which is near where the cart pushers bring carts from the parking lot back to the door. Very out of the way and out of traffic.

There was a case in OR recently, where a club member on an American cruiser parked his bike in the striped area between handicapped spaces, which makes it darn difficult for the people with wheelchairs to get in and out of their vehicles. I view that as highly inconsiderate.

Police: Fight over mall parking spot leaves one shot | Vancouver News

The article states "And here's the irony, according to our investigation: The spot turned out to not be a handicapped parking space." So I wonder if it was the striped area or if it was a normal spot that the handicapped man thought was a handicapped spot.

But like you said this could, and should, have been avoided. There's no reason for an able-bodied man to get into a physical confrontation with a handicapped person.

On a side-note: I do get a little annoyed when I go to a store, shopping center, etc and nearly every parking spot is full but there are still TONS of empty handicapped spots. This is almost always how it is around me at least. I think sometimes places go a little overboard with the # of handicapped spots. But then again, I think that's because they are required by law to have a certain number based on capacity. I know some of you may not agree with me about this. It's just what I've noticed since I've been going to these places.

And to the OP: Sorry to hear about your bike.

The article states "And here's the irony, according to our investigation: The spot turned out to not be a handicapped parking space." So I wonder if it was the striped area or if it was a normal spot that the handicapped man thought was a handicapped spot.

But like you said this could, and should, have been avoided. There's no reason for an able-bodied man to get into a physical confrontation with a handicapped person.

On a side-note: I do get a little annoyed when I go to a store, shopping center, etc and nearly every parking spot is full but there are still TONS of empty handicapped spots. This is almost always how it is around me at least. I think sometimes places go a little overboard with the # of handicapped spots. But then again, I think that's because they are required by law to have a certain number based on capacity. I know some of you may not agree with me about this. It's just what I've noticed since I've been going to these places.

And to the OP: Sorry to hear about your bike.

The preconception of the person with the firearm, led to a confrontation that would not otherwise have occurred. A bad move on their part. Still, even knowing that, it's clear that the person on the bike could have avoided the whole 'shooting match'.

Well said, covers most of what I think about it except the concealed carry thing, some people carry everyday of their life without even their spouse or friends knowing if they are or not. (Sometimes people around them are more aggressive if they know someone is armed.)

I noticed you said "most", if that is true, maybe "most" sportbike riders are sqids in shorts and tennis shoes and are more likely to hurt themselves or others than people who legally carry. There are always people who ruin things for others.

I bet there are a lot more people than you think who carry that never have an issue, like there are a lot of good riders around the world that never go down or endanger anyone else, wear their gear, etc. The squids in their shorts don't represent every rider out there, and every hood rat that carries a pistol does not represent the rest of the people who carry concealed.

Maybe I should have posted on the rant page?

Anyway, that's MY opinion, off topic, maybe? No animosity to you for your opinion, just fired up mine.

Back to the sidewalk/ handicap parking thing, if I were in a wheelchair and no longer able to ride my FZ6 and someone who had the privilege of working legs parked their vehicle in my way, I would think they are more than inconsiderate. I would think people with working legs could walk a little to keep their vehicle unscathed. Guys with showcars never park up front, they park in the empty part of the lot and walk. But to those malicious souls who would vandalize a bike even out of the way claiming righteousness get no mercy, they suck. For the record I do park in front of stores sometimes, but I think it through. ( And yes I do understand that parking a cycle in the back of the lot has it's own risks, but I don't shop on my FZ6, I ride it for pleasure, usually in less populated areas, I take my car to the stores,)

Yup, we're headed off the reservation.....:surrender:

I thank you for you patience with my opinion. You are correct; I have no idea how many people have concealed carry permits and carry every day. I also don't have any numbers for those that are not 'legal' and do so. It's big industry, in the US.

I happen to own 3 rifles, and shoot on a semi annual basis..... generally at predators that need to be removed from my farm. The guns I own are tools to allow me to live where I do. They are on the whole more accurate and more lethal than a hand gun. For me, they are the most cost effective tools for the tasks I have for them.

I don't live in a situation where I need to be able to produce killing force in seconds. Having lived in Alameda, CA (adjacent to Oakland), also in San Diego, outside of Memphis, outside of Boston, worked in Tacoma for years and visited Hilltop on a regular basis. Spent a lot of time around McCord and Ft Lewis. (come to think of it I used to shoot skeet on the range at Ft Lewis.....)

There have been times where I could understand the urge. It's far easier on your karma to remove yourself from the threat, than to escalate. I know that's often not possible..... but it is the best solution available.

To be honest, parking on a sidewalk is just asking someone to mess with your bike. You're lucky all you got was a few scratches. You may not be so lucky next time.

motorcycles are alowed to park there at that location were i was and it was a guy on a harley that was parked in front of me ..........it happend to the other street bike that was there to...........

motorcycles are alowed to park there at that location were i was and it was a guy on a harley that was parked in front of me ..........it happend to the other street bike that was there to...........

If I may ask, how was the area marked as 'motorcycle friendly'?

If two bikes got tipped into the wall, someone was possibly making way for something or someone. Quite sh*tty of whoever did it, obviously.... Hopefully you can get the police report to make a claim against the store -- or against your insurance, and have them make a claim to recover damages....

What's the deductible on your insurance, and does it cover things that happen when you aren't on the bike?

if there were no cameras how do you know it was the guy on the harley? do you have eyewitnesses? do you have some sort of evidence? if so, the cops should be able to use that.

Back