• 500, 1000, and then follow the manual

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The debate is over. Rotella T wins!

I wasn’t trying to put Rotella down, as I said in my post I think it is a good oil and I wasn’t trying to put down those who use it. But the OP’s point of his post was “The debate is over. Rotella T wins” In my opinion it does not and I wanted to back up my opinion with facts. If you want the benefits of a pure synthetic oil don’t buy Rotella.

Ok then, try and find an oil that can pull off these kind of UOA's anywhere. Rotella T (both) is very hard to beat when it comes to wear numbers.

1998 Goldwing Rotella T 5w/40 4207 miles - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Rotella 5w-40 2005 Honda GL1800 - Bob Is The Oil Guy

But the OP’s point of his post was “The debate is over. Rotella T wins” In my opinion it does not and I wanted to back up my opinion with facts. If you want the benefits of a pure synthetic oil don’t buy Rotella.

Re-read my post. ;)
I was stating that Rotella T wins over AMSOIL.....I have no idea how it stacks up against other synthetics (or pseudo-sythetics or synthetic-synthetics) nor do I care to explore that, quite honestly.
My OP was a (not-so-obvious) humourous sequel to my (very obviously humourous) post on Sportbikes.net when I installed Amsoil in my FZ6.
I experienced a REAL improvement in the performance of my bike's engine after dumping the Amsoil and installing Rotella T. All the scientific mumbo-jumbo won't change that. If there's any downside to Rotella, it's highly unlikely that I'll see it in my lifetime with my bike. ;)

where did you manage to find one of these? i can find them anywhere in the interior.:(

also, how much are you paying for the oil? the only place i could find it was at the cat dealership, where i had a choice of a 200L drum, or a case of 4, 1gal jugs for $120 +tax. :( :(
sucks to be canadian, especially when the dollar is par and i still pay double.

I picked up a jug (1 US gallon) at Wal-Mart in Bellingham, WA for (iirc) about $15 or $16. I should have bought more.
I have to find my receipt for the PureOne oil filter which I also bought in the US....I've never seen them up here in Vancouver. I think I got it at Skagit Powersports in Burlington, WA.
IAE, you'll probably have to go south to get one. It might be worthwhile contacting Purolator to find out if PureOne oil filters may be marketed under a different name in Canada....?

Alright already! Look, tell me: How much are the regular checks that you Shell Rotella defenders getting from the company? How regular is it: monthly, weekly or yearly? How can I get on the gravy train? Once I get the check, sure, I'll say that it even makes good salad dressing combined with vinegar. I must even suggest other applications for Shell Rotella synthetic but I understand that this is a family forum.

Alright already! Look, tell me: How much are the regular checks that you Shell Rotella defenders getting from the company? How regular is it: monthly, weekly or yearly? How can I get on the gravy train? Once I get the check, sure, I'll say that it even makes good salad dressing combined with vinegar. I must even suggest other applications for Shell Rotella synthetic but I understand that this is a family forum.

The checks come daily. All you have to do is plug Shell at every opportunity! And you have to leaglly hyphen your last name. I.e. John Doe-Shell. Of course there are other things you have to do but since you said this is a "family forum" I can not list them here.:spank::rof::popcorn::sinister::justkidding:

Ok now back to the beer thread...:beer::iconbeer:

I think most oil is great as long as you change it at least per manufacturer reccomended intervals and it meets or exceeds oem requirements.

We used Rotella in our Jetta TDI for 90k miles with no problems. Ran like new.

I've ran Castrol R4 Superbike in my bike and lately I've just had the dealer put in Honda's synthetic wet clutch motorcycle oil so I don't have to pay anything at all (I got screwed into a service plan, might as well use it). Might as well have them use everything their own, I'll have dealer certified service records with their parts and fluids for I think 4 or 4.5 years of owning the bike with unlimited miles and services (which I am trying to make use of), and if they f-up it's on them.

Rotella is a good oil certainly better than other petroleum based oils but what distinguishes synthetic oils from petroleum oils is in the basestock. Synthetics use a PAO, diesters and polyesters for their basestock. Other manufacturers use a highly refined, almost pure petroleum basestock, that when finished, bares little resemblance to its petroleum beginning. So to call it a petroleum product would be unfair so they are allowed to call their product synthetic. These products are not all like the true synthetics. It would be like putting a Ferrari engine in a Honda and selling the Honda as a Ferrari. The Honda goes fast but it just doesn’t handle like the real thing.

This is the situation you have between Rotella and Mobil 1 and Amsol. The latter two are pure synthetic Rotella is the Honda. Ask youself how can Rotella sell for $13.00 a gallon and Mobil 1 for $8.99 a quart and both be a true synthetic. The problem I have is when I buy a synthetic I want the real deal.

Again, I think Rotella is a fine product and given a choice between Yamalube and Rotella you can’t go wrong with Rotella but I think Shell and other companies that use the same process are being just a little deceptive. They should be labeled pseudo-synthetic.

For your consideration, below is the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Rotella.

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
Review Date: 01/03/2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION 1 PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRODUCT: ROTELLA® T Synthetic SAE 5W-40

MSDS NUMBER: 400792E - 1
PRODUCT CODE(S): 5062054, 5068680, 54300, 5430000001

MANUFACTURER ADDRESS:
SOPUS Products, P.O. Box 4427, Houston, TX. 77210-4427

TELEPHONE NUMBERS
Spill Information: (877) 242-7400
Health Information: (877) 504-9351
MSDS Assistance Number: (877) 276-7285

SECTION 2 PRODUCT/INGREDIENTS

CAS# CONCENTRATION INGREDIENTS
Synthetic Motor Oil
Mixture 90 - 98.99 %volume Highly refined petroleum oils
Mixture 1 - 4.99 %volume Proprietary additives
Proprietary 1 - 4.99 %volume Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate

Your Ferrari analogy is flawed in two ways. First and foremost, you cannot use Ferrari and reliability in the same sentence. That sentence cannot exist unless there is a "not" also introduced in the sentence. Oil is about keeping a car reliable and Ferraris are especially known to be high maintence and problem prone. You look at it more than you drive it. Now if you said the oil unleashes power like a Ferrari, then sure it could work, but no synthetic oil that is available to the main masses will do that.

The second thing is what if the Honda was an NSX-R? Haha.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VjgbvpyCp8"]YouTube - Motegi Battle 2[/ame]

where to buy yamalube?

:rockon:hey eveyone, just joined today, hope maybe someone can help me find a place to buy yamalube 4 (20w40) and oil filter at the same web sight. I'm having some trouble finding any one who has both oil and filter. the manual calls for yamalube 4 (10w30) or yamalube 4 (20w40). it also says you can use conventional sae (10w30) or sae (20w40). I've been using conventional yamalube sae (20w40) but I want to start using yamalube 4 (20w40). if anyone can tell me who sells yamalube 4 (20w40) or yamalube sae (20w40) and the oil filter (hiflow or otherwise) please let me know. thanks.

Last edited:
Re: where to buy yamalube?

Welcome to the site. Glad your here.

What if I told you that you could get several higher quality oils, and filters for less money? If you knew it would not violate the warrenty, and would protect your engine better for less money, and be easier to find would you be interested?

if your engine has a prob yamaha can tell what oil you use, thus they can void your warranty. same goes as the filter, however I have never heard of them doing this, except for once but there was more to it except oil and filter. I personally use Amsoil. basically as long as it is for a motorcycle you should be okay.

if your engine has a prob yamaha can tell what oil you use, thus they can void your warranty. same goes as the filter, however I have never heard of them doing this. I personally use Amsoil. basically as long as it is for a motorcycle you should be okay.

That is not correct.
Moss Magnuson act. Unless the manufacturer provides said product for free they can not deem what brand other than thiers is used will void any warrenty.

Its just a fact. You can use any oil you like that meets the call out spec.

We have a blue million oil threads/filter threads on this exact subject.

Look in the garage section of the forum.
I am not knocking you, just saying that its incorrect. Yamaha can not void any warrenty based on type of oil other than Yamalube or Yamaha filters.

if your engine has a prob yamaha can tell what oil you use, thus they can void your warranty. same goes as the filter, however I have never heard of them doing this

:banghead:

That is not correct.
Moss Magnuson act. Unless the manufacturer provides said product for free they can not deem what brand other than thiers is used will void any warrenty.

Its just a fact. You can use any oil you like that meets the call out spec.

+1

Yamalube Oil

Here are your choices as of now.

If the oil above is a marine oil, it is not for us. Something I dont understand is different at least that is my understanding right now. If it says Jaso it is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back