• Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: where to buy yamalube?

Yamalube Oil

Here are your choices as of now.

If the oil above is a marine oil, it is not for us. Something I dont understand is different at least that is my understanding right now. If it says Jaso it is fine.

I have been to that sight, they don't have the right weight oil. our bikes call for 10w30 or 20w40. I guess I can try a different brand but not a different weight than whats called for. what do you use?

Yamaha did discontinue 20-40W

My 07 Fz is faster now that I am using Honda 20-50 syn blend.

Just use motorcycle oil and change with filter every 4K miles.

Ride & repeat.

I know there are other kinds of oil but I want to stick with yamalube.

Do you not have a Yamaha Dealer near you?... They sell your overpriced under quality yamalube :spank:. For the record, it rated very low in oil comparison test I have seen... Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic is cheaper and a much better choice for a motorcycle engine...

If you have to have Yamaha Rebranded Oil, there are 3 dealers within an hour or so of Midpines.

Gold Rush Honda Yamaha‎
14301 Mono Way # A, Sonora, CA 95370

Honda-Kawasaki-Yamaha-Merced‎
265 W 15th St, Merced, CA 95340

Yamaha 99‎
28615 Green Ct, Madera, CA 93637

oil thread :banghead:, oil thread :banghead:, oil thread :banghead:, oil thread :banghead:, oil thread :banghead:, oil thread :banghead:, oil thread :banghead:,oil thread :banghead:, oil thread :banghead:, oil thread :banghead:

Yamaha did discontinue 20-40W

My 07 Fz is faster now that I am using Honda 20-50 syn blend.

Just use motorcycle oil and change with filter every 4K miles.

Ride & repeat.

20w50? our motorcycles call for 10w30 0r 20w40. I dont think yamaha says to use a certain weight just for fun. I'll stick to the recomended weight even if its not the same brand of oil.

Your right, I give up man.

Yamaha calls out a brand and wieght then quits selling it, because no other wieght will work.

I am trying not to be to much of a smart ass but seriously man. Look.

Oils viscosity dramaticly changes in the first 1500 miles. DRAMATICLY!!!!!

The oil you put in is not the same as it was at 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 miles and so on. There is a whole lot more to why we reccomend certain oils. I.E. over actual oil removal testing, they perform better, hold thier viscosity better, last longer, have lower quanities of wear metals, lubricate better and just work better. It makes me zero difference if your engine lasts 50,000 or 150,000 miles. None. Not a stinking bit. We have spent the time to try and help you, but your not interested. Then on top of that every question you have asked is covered already in a page I linked several replies up. I am done.

Since they're not doing the 20w40 anymore, i went with the 10w40, bought a case of it from the dealer and got 20% off for buying the whole case at once, enough for 4 oil changes.

Re: Oil Change?

I saw 10w-60 motocycle oil in the magazine...What do you think about it? It is thin as 10w and thick as 60... I think it is the best for our bikes which can rev to 13.000 rpm...Has anyone used or been using that engine oil?

Don't forget to get a good oil filter.:thumbup: Check the sticky at the top of this section. Avoid Fram!:rockon:

For the sake of not creating another oil thread, I thought I'd ask a question here.

I had to have the 2004 FZ6 I just bought serviced on short notice and had a friend who works at a garage offer to squeeze me in today. He told me he had Mobil 1 and Rotella T full synthetic so I brought him a Bosch 3323 oil filter and a BMC air filter and had him switch everything out. However, turns out he only had XXw30 oil in those brands. I called around but couldn't find XXw40 so just had him use Castrol 5w40 oil which claimed to be specifically engineered for Beemers and Mercedes.

Was that a good call? The very little I know about oil is from reading threads here, but I couldn't find much info on Castrol. I'm bringing the bike back to put in Iridium spark plugs and can have the oil changed again if need be.

For the sake of not creating another oil thread, I thought I'd ask a question here.

I had to have the 2004 FZ6 I just bought serviced on short notice and had a friend who works at a garage offer to squeeze me in today. He told me he had Mobil 1 and Rotella T full synthetic so I brought him a Bosch 3323 oil filter and a BMC air filter and had him switch everything out. However, turns out he only had XXw30 oil in those brands. I called around but couldn't find XXw40 so just had him use Castrol 5w40 oil which claimed to be specifically engineered for Beemers and Mercedes.

Was that a good call? The very little I know about oil is from reading threads here, but I couldn't find much info on Castrol. I'm bringing the bike back to put in Iridium spark plugs and can have the oil changed again if need be.

Used Castrol 20/50 for years in my race bikes, you'll be fine, however DI may beginning turning in circles!

Re: How to do an oil change

I changed my oil again this past weekend and switched up to the Yamalube 10W40 which came in the 4 liter jug. Inspired by FZ6inNH's suggestion...

For those that buy the (insert brand/weight here) oil by the gallon... Here's how I manage it. Often it is tough to see the level on the side of the bottle, so, rather than guess, buy a 4 cup (1 US QT) measuring cup at the dollar store (because you're not putting it in the kitchen afterward!).

I dispensed my oil in a 2 liter juice container that had 1/4 liter increments on the side. It also made pouring the oil into the bike easy without the use of a funnel.

Thanks for the tip FZ6inNH! :thumbup:

Re: How to do an oil change

Probably has been asked or mentioned before, but what the heck. After an oil change, I have done 2 so far and both times (especially the first service change) it seemd that shifting gears became easier, and engine ran smoother. Is this true or am I imagining it?

Re: The debate is over. Rotella T wins!

I think the funny thing is that oil threads are biased to different companies/brands on different forums. r6-forum.com seems to be all on amsoil for now. I'm just gonna use what ever kind of oil works for me. That's my my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back