Votes: 12 19.0%
  • 500, 1000, and then follow the manual

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rotella T - you guys are using wrong weight!

Not true! I used turkey gravy once and the result was not what I expected. :D

That's a great pic. I've never had that problem. Only problem I've had was converting to used peanut oil and having all the fatties chasing me down the road wanting french fries.

_40053111_fat_suit_ap.jpg

Re: How to do an oil change

GREAT write up. I used it today to do my first oil change on the Fizzer. Well, not it's first oil change... just the first one I've done. The write up makes extremely easy.

It's the little things that help. The foil trick was great. I even put some in "front" also to help guide the oil into the drain pan. I like that you metioned the 17mm socket... I didn't have to try the 16 and 18 before getting it right. Thanks!

I used channel locks to get the filter off. Very easy and I didn't have to buy a special filter wrench.

Thanks a million!

:cheer:

Re: The debate is over. Rotella T wins!

I switched from Yamalube to Rotella T Synth today.

What a difference! My sex life has improved and finally I got that big promotion at work!

No seriously, the short test run showed some good signs. Ran and shifted smooth.

I'll let you know in 190K miles what I really think of it. :rockon:

hmmmm..... think the diff is in some of your heads..... i use amsoil 20/40 have used yamalube before that in all of my bikes and quads..... sorry havent noticed a whole lot of difference other than my bike runs a lil smoother with the amsoil, but it should....

I second your comments on Rotella. Added last night and the first shift had me convinced on synth at least. The price for rotella is awesome too, I'm done as far as what will go in my bikes from now on.

Thought on fully synthetic oil for FZ6 08

I am in Australia and recently bought a new 08 FZ6. After 1000kms the headache of the oil change reared it's ugly head. The manual said use 15w 40 oil. No mention of synthetic, semi synthetic, sewing machine or whatever. You can't buy 15w40 in Australia. what the f***?. I asked so called reliable sources and God forbid I then hit the internet forums. :eek: I put in Shell Fully Synthetic 10w 40. From about engine rev 4 or 5 the engine felt and rode like sh**. I took that out and put in Motul 5100 10w 40. A big improvement. I then took that out and put in Motul 5100 10(15)w 50 oil. Now the engine feels good, smooth and rides well again.:thumbup: I offer my thoughts from a logical and hands on approach to things. I have some natural mechanical ability but no qualifications in motor mechanics at all. I hope this may help someone like me that likes to follow the rules and gets pissed off when a simple thing like changing engine oil becomes a production bigger than "Ben Hur".

Re: Thought on fully synthetic oil for FZ6 08

Hi Geoff and welcome to the site.

We have a oil debate/discussion/flamewar/deathmatch section in our garage section.

Please dont be offended as this happens to almost every new person that posts about oil.

Now que the dancing clowns with flame throwers and peaches.

This is the best answer ever.
Defy Inertia

I know that you may be considering the use of synthetic oil in your bikes. But you really should Very cautious of synthetic oil! It can do terrible things both to you, and to your bike. Synthetic oil will not only leak out of your engine faster than you can put it in, but it will also cause your oil filter to clog and implode, dumping debris and dirt into your lubrication system. It also will make every part of your bike permanently slippery because of its linear molecular chain dispersion action.

Then it will leak onto your kickstand causing it to retract automatically and without warning, dropping your bike flat on the rocky ground! But that's not all . . . . Synthetic oil will round off your gears and spin your bearings. Synthetic oil will also splatter onto your seat causing your girlfriend to fall off in the apex of a turn and then she will never ride with, or sleep with, you again. Synthetic oil coats your oil sight window with a whitish pro-emulsification additive that is both non-removable and highly corrosive. Synthetic oil will completely leak out onto the ground overnight, force your favorite dog to drink it at gunpoint, and he will then die a slow horrible writhing death.

Synthetic oil will wear out your tires and make your battery leak. It will give you the desperate need to urinate after you put your full leathers on and then jam all your zippers shut. Synthetic oil will contaminate your gasoline causing your bike to stall on railroad tracks and accelerate uncontrollably near police cars. Synthetic oil will make it rain during rallies and on every weekend. It will causing your cam drive to jump teeth and break your valves to bits. Synthetic oil chemically weakens desmodromic valves and causes the clearances to change every sixteen miles. Then it melts the black soles of your riding boots night before you walk across your new carpeting.

While riding past groups of attractive women it will cause both of your handlebar grips to slip off at the same time so you smash your windscreen with the bridge of your nose. It also causes your swingarm to crack, your studs to break, and your rotors to warp. Synthetic oil then voids your warranty by changing your odometer reading to 55,555 overnight. It also dries out your wet clutch and wets your dryclutch. It makes your clutch cable or slave cylinder seal fail in the heaviest traffic on the hottest day of the year while putting an angry wasp in your helmet for good measure.

Synthetic oil hides your 13mm socket and puts superglue on your earplugs. Synthetic oil will scratch your face shield and make your gloves shrink two sizes the night before track day. Synthetic oil will then steal your neutral and sell it for $1.25.

So let's be careful out there

I am in Australia and recently bought a new 08 FZ6. After 1000kms the headache of the oil change reared it's ugly head. The manual said use 15w 40 oil. No mention of synthetic, semi synthetic, sewing machine or whatever. You can't buy 15w40 in Australia. what the f***?. I asked so called reliable sources and God forbid I then hit the internet forums. :eek: I put in Shell Fully Synthetic 10w 40. From about engine rev 4 or 5 the engine felt and rode like sh**. I took that out and put in Motul 5100 10w 40. A big improvement. I then took that out and put in Motul 5100 10(15)w 50 oil. Now the engine feels good, smooth and rides well again.:thumbup: I offer my thoughts from a logical and hands on approach to things. I have some natural mechanical ability but no qualifications in motor mechanics at all. I hope this may help someone like me that likes to follow the rules and gets pissed off when a simple thing like changing engine oil becomes a production bigger than \"Ben Hur\".
Hi Wrightme43. Thanks for your reply. I am not offended in the least. I have seen the thread you sent me before. It is great. I guess in reality re the issue it's horses for courses. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents.
Cheers
Geoff.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgq4w4dqKsU&feature=related"]YouTube - who run barter town[/ame]

I've been reading up on a lot of the oil threads that are posted and think I will probably go with Mobil 1 fully synthetic 15w-50 (since I'm in rather hot weather the majority of the time while riding *East TX) for my '07 FZ6. I bought it last week and the previous owner changed the oil with Yamalube 10w-40 a couple days before, but used Rotella T synthetic with his prior oil changes.

And maybe it's just me not knowing the difference of how the bike performed with the Rotella T in it but I don't think it shifts smooth at all. It's often jerky no matter what gear I'm going into. I previously rode a BMW K75 (w/ Castrol 4 stroke motorcycle oil in it), which had about 160k on it, but it still shifted smother than the FZ6 does. Hopefully it shifts better after the oil change...

For those of you that are having a problem finding the Shell Rotella Oil. I can assist you with that problem. Auto Zone does carry it. Or they should. I know that both the stores I work in do carry it on the shelf if not its barried in a box in the back. The only thing I am not sure about is the purolater filter. Would need the part number to cross reference. But I do know that Advance does carry the purolater filters. So for the MD guys if you ever come through a town called edgewood stop into the auto zone and ask for Rob and I will do my best to help you with your oil purchases. O and I am only there on Tuesdays and soon to be Sundays too. Have another job!!!!!

I still want to know how to get on the Shell Rotella gravy train. How do I sign up for the monthly checks from Shell? Nobody's talking.

Here i believe the page you linked to begs the opposite:
\"So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.\"

BTW- not trying to be an a$$, just making sure I understand. I run regular Rotella T 15W-40, thinking of switching to the new synthetic coming out eventually that meets JASO MA specs

I agree with you. It says that the friction modifers cause slippage, not that a lack of friction modifers causes slippage. The pro Rotella page makes a strong point that it has no friction modifers and that that is a good thing.

Interesting....pseudo-synthetic FTW!!!! My bike will likely be totalled or sold before oil related wear becomes even remotely an issue. Am I wrong?

Oh Oh!:eek: You are starting to use your head now. Once you start something like that you never know where it will end.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back