• 500, 1000, and then follow the manual

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Which oil is better?

I was bored and couldn't resist. :eek: We haven't had one of these in a while.

I think synthetic is best, by the way.

Is this another one those threads that turn into a full-blown Shell Rotella loverfest? Oh brother. How much is Shell paying you people? Hey, great gift idea (Christmas coming up, you know), huh? A gallon jug of Shell Rotella! You guys probably get the same gift for everybody in the family too...

Is this another one those threads that turn into a full-blown Shell Rotella loverfest? Oh brother. How much is Shell paying you people? Hey, great gift idea (Christmas coming up, you know), huh? A gallon jug of Shell Rotella! You guys probably get the same gift for everybody in the family too...

Lol....great post, have thought the same myself about Rotella...funny thing is, it's not even sold in Australia!

I'm partial to olive oil. It has a very pleasent smell in the morning when I warm up the bike.

I haven't done an oil change yet but its coming up. After reading ALL of the oil posts I will probably use someone elses used oil and save a buck or two. People tend to change their oil WAY too much.

Do we really need this thread? I mean, seriously.......the next person to start a thread about oil gets banned!!!!!

Re: The debate is over. Rotella T wins!

ive switched to Rotella as well, my previous bike (vstrom 650) loved it as well.

one question. when i was at walmart, i noticed a version of Rotalla synthetic that was labeled as "Soot Control"...has anybody else noticed this?

Oil change now, or wait till Spring?

I used the search function, but really didn't turn up any applicable oil change threads. Hopefully I don't get blasted on this one.:ban:

Here's my dilemma.... I currently have 2,200 miles on my 2008 FZ6 that I bought new in August. I changed the oil at 600 miles and replaced the oil/ filter with conventional dino Yamalube 20w-50. I have roughly 1,600 miles on the oil change, and I'm wondering if the existing oil will be fine until Spring, or if I should dump it now.

Looking forward to any input on this topic. I just want to make sure the existing oil has enough acid neutralizing properties to protect my baby through the long Winter in Northern Michigan.

Re: Oil change now, or wait till Spring?

I used the search function, but really didn't turn up any applicable oil change threads. Hopefully I don't get blasted on this one.:ban:

Here's my dilemma.... I currently have 2,200 miles on my 2008 FZ6 that I bought new in August. I changed the oil at 600 miles and replaced the oil/ filter with conventional dino Yamalube 20w-50. I have roughly 1,600 miles on the oil change, and I'm wondering if the existing oil will be fine until Spring, or if I should dump it now.

Looking forward to any input on this topic. I just want to make sure the existing oil has enough acid neutralizing properties to protect my baby through the long Winter in Northern Michigan.

It really depends on who you ask, where you keep your bike (outside or garaged). Because of winter coming up . If you do I would make it a thicker oil to protect it through the cold months. I am Kinda in the same situation

oil is oil...if it lubes your engine and the temperature in your area doesn't go to an extreme low during winter then you're grand..leave it until Spring. I dont remember when I changed mine last but its about 4,000 miles ago and my bike is running like a dream...

O and I use car oil...its alot cheaper then motorcycle oil...they rip us off dont ya know! :spank:

It gets pretty darned cold where I live in the winter. Average winter temps are 10-20 degrees (F) and can dip as low as -20 degrees (F).

You call that cold. Where I live :canada: , ok, it's about the same.

I'd leave the oil in and change it in the Spring.

It gets pretty darned cold where I live in the winter. Average winter temps are 10-20 degrees (F) and can dip as low as -20 degrees (F).

O dear god...i'd empty the oil now and replace it with mercury...that wont freeze!!! haha...joking of course!!

My god that is some temperature...I'm glad I live in Ireland...the sea protects us from the extreme temperature!!:rockon:

After thinking about it, you really don't have anything to worry about. I had a 1978 Yamaha XS11 sit in my garage for 14 years with old oil in it and is cranked over no problem. So I'm sure that leaving it in over winter is fine.

Best to change it before you put it up for the winter. Get it warmed up a bit then pull the plug after everything is all stirred up. This way, you'll dump all the contaminants and they would settle in the bottom of the engine over the winter storage. Plus, it's one less thing you have to do on that first day of Spring and roll it out of storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back