• 500, 1000, and then follow the manual

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OIL!!! How often do you check it?

I wonder why Yam use a dipstick when most other bikes use a sight glass ?

It does give a much longer time between top-ups though as the dipstick covers a larger range than a sight glass, so that is an advantage. I don't check mine too often as really you ought to clean around the dipstick first to ensure no crap gets in.

bump on the 10w-40... especially AMSoil. absolutely amazing stuff. the ride after the change to synthetic after the break in period with the regular oil was unforgettable.

Yamalube 10w40 from the dealer. Next weekend switching to 10w30 Motul full synthetic for my 12,000mile service in my garage.

edit: Like Hellgate: I NEVER check it. Change it, cap it, done. Perhaps if I think about I'll have a looksie, but never on purpose. It doesn't leak.

good luck!

Last edited:

Other than Wrightme, don't think I've ever heard of anyone needing to add oil, but I'm still paranoid after the MSF drilled it into me. Guess too many folks went down due to a seized engine. I'll keep checking it... doesn't cost but a minute.

MSF includes Harley people who's bikes leaked from brand new (until recently). That's probably why they drill it in to you: so you don't trash a $30K HD (worthless anyways LOL :thumbup:)

I park my bike same place everytime I goto work/girlfriends/home so I would notice if there is a leak. With a little over 4k miles on it + never seeing smoke and no soot on my exhaust, where could oil be going? Do you check your car everytime you drive? (You might but again I think that's a bit excessive unless you have an issue and know about it) The FZ engine is an awesome piece of kit and I do not think it will have any issues with oil unless it has been abused.

Actually, I do check the oil and all other fluids, tires pressures, etc in my cars every week, and for the bike, literally every time I prepare to ride. I'd much rather become aware of a problem early, hopefully before it gets to being a big problem, like leaving me on the side of the road in the geographic center of Nowhere.

I've seen far too many situations where a problem develops suddenly, like coolant in the oil, sudden oil contamination from a clogged filter or oil passage, any of the "stuff happens" category.

Agreed, in most cases it's overkill, but it makes me feel better. It has also saved me some big $$ and definitely my rear as well over the years.

Do what works for you :rockon:

I check my oil once a week more for me than the bike. I also change the oil three times a season - at the begininnng, mid summer and before I lay it up for the winter. I know this is overkill but to me its cheap insurance.

Treat it like a airplane.

Yes it worked the last time you used it. Does it still work? Are you willing to bet your life on it?

I have had two bolts vibrate loose on my oil pan from where I installed the lower cowl. Oil was everywhere. What if I had missed that?

Crap happens and please God dont let it happen to me. LOL

You know the whole old trust yet verify? LOL

How about is that brake line chaffing?

Are the caliper mounting bolts still tight?

What about the rear axle nut?

The front axle?

I am very wierd though. Submarines taught me well. Just cause it worked last time doesnt mean it works this morning. Gotta check it.

Damn you Steve, *me goes out to check all bolts, lines and mounting points

That seed of doubt will do it every time :rof:

A good habit to get into though, well said.
I don't check mine often enough, just when I get around to it. I don't do a lot of group rides (mainly got the bike for my commute to work), but always check oil, tyre pressures and a quick look over the bike before I go.

I'm changing to Synth oil today as well, due for a service and decided to stop handing my cash over to the dealer and do it myself.

:)

I check it every 500 miles when i lube the chain.I use yamalube 20w50.because the heat in la. can cook a small engine turnin the high rpms.:rockon: p.s. the yamalube is is formulated to work with the clutch .

Last edited:

Honestly, I NEVER check mine. I just change the oil and cap it. Seriously.

Pete said what I was going to say, almost to the letter. I change it often enough and don't feel the need to worry about it. I figure I'd either see smoke or a leak if there was a problem. :D

i'll check it probably once end month or a day before a long distance road trip....

Why You Should Use Amsoil Synthetic

Sorry about that, another oil thread. :spank:

attachment.php

What say you?

Re: Why You Should Use Amsoil Synthetic

You know, the Amsoil users in this area are like Green Bay Packers fans in Wisconsin. They are nuts! We have an Amsoil sponsership here at the school and every year the guy who donates all this money comes and speaks about Amsoil and its benifits.

He apparently has some high hp vette, 500+ that he drives alot. He swears up and down that the oil is still good even after 20,000 miles. He says he has done oil sample and it is still in fine condition, blah blah blah. I think he is either nuts or full of $h*t, but what ever.

Not trying to argue oils here, just telling a simple story.

-bryan

Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T fully synthetic 4-stroke engine oil

The FZ6 has 6k on the clock now, so i decided to go fully synthetic when i did the 6k service . Not being spoilt with choice in Africa, I could only get Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T.

Picked up 3l of Power 1 Racing 4Tand a new oil filter and did the oil change. OMG, the stuff looked like ATF (bright red) and flowed out of the container like water; I went ahead anyway.

Was reluctant to push the starter button, eventually plucked up the courage and fired her up. WOW, she ran as smooth as a dream

Went for a 200km ride today, and all i can say is; the engine and gearbox are as smooth as a Persian cat.

Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-30 is fully synthetic 4-stroke engine oil for modern high performance sports bikes that increases engine acceleration and power right up to max rpm. Its Race Derived Technology based on Castrol's racing history and testing experience ensures maximum engine performance without sacrificing engine durability thus giving a significant benefit over other types of engine oils.

Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-30's formula employs the very latest Trizone Technology™ for 4-stroke motorcycles, so as to give optimum protection of the engine, clutch and gears even under the most arduous riding conditions including sustained operation at high rpm.

Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-30 is suitable for all modern high performance motorcycle engines where API and or JASO specifications are recommended.

FZ6-ZN

Re: Why You Should Use Amsoil Synthetic

i use amsoil in my xb and my bike. I put in the 0-20 1 year or 25,000 mile full synthetic. I travel around the US taking composite pics so I do alot of miles. Well I changed it the end of August and did my run. changed it the first week of Jan. had put on 13,000 miles, the oil looked just like it does when it comes out of the jug. I was amazed i was expecting it to be a bit black at least.... I am convinced and nothing else will go in my car! As far as my bike it gets drained every 2000-2500 I don't care what anyone claims the car is covered, the bike isnt..... my father used to own two 358 dirt modified race cars. that is what he used in them the engine would run a little cooler and they never blew one up after they switched from mobil 1 to the amsoil... not sure which weight they used....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back