• 500, 1000, and then follow the manual

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OIL!!! How often do you check it?

Check your oil after you lube your chain. Helps me to remember better.
But for the record mine has not been low.
I use 10-30 Royal Purple Cyclemax. Seems to help the gear clunkiness also.

Every time I ride it. The rest of you don't??????

I park my bike same place everytime I goto work/girlfriends/home so I would notice if there is a leak. With a little over 4k miles on it + never seeing smoke and no soot on my exhaust, where could oil be going? Do you check your car everytime you drive? (You might but again I think that's a bit excessive unless you have an issue and know about it) The FZ engine is an awesome piece of kit and I do not think it will have any issues with oil unless it has been abused.

I usually check my oil every ride, or at least every other ride. That check includes all lights, tire pressure, chain tension and a visual inspection of everything else.

Too many things can happen if something mechanical fails on a motorcycle.

I'm running Amsoil full synthetic 10w-40 in my fizzer... so far, so good:rockon:

I park my bike same place everytime I goto work/girlfriends/home so I would notice if there is a leak. With a little over 4k miles on it + never seeing smoke and no soot on my exhaust, where could oil be going? Do you check your car everytime you drive? (You might but again I think that's a bit excessive unless you have an issue and know about it) The FZ engine is an awesome piece of kit and I do not think it will have any issues with oil unless it has been abused.

I failure hasthe potential to be harmful to yourself where as a failure in a car you are still protected in a cage. and I check the oil in my cars weekly or whenever i wash it

check it when you fuel up. not only will the oil be nice an warm for an accurate reading, it also only takes an additional 10 sec.

It's a good routine and you'll never find yourself thinking back for when you checked it last.

I use one of the name brand conventional motor oils, 10W-40 all year long. I check the level maybe every 30 days or so and keep it at the top of the hatch mark. My FZ will occasionally flash the low oil warning light if the level falls below 1/2 range and the motor is cold.

I check the level maybe every 30 days or so and keep it at the top of the hatch mark. My FZ will occasionally flash the low oil warning light if the level falls below 1/2 range and the motor is cold.

Seriously????? :eek: I was always taught and thought the manual said to keep it within the range. Interesting as I was getting an oil level light on my last trip.

I'm going to go look at the manual and edit my original post. :thumbup:

EDIT - the manual simply says to keep it between the two hash marks. I think I'll start keeping mine at 3/4s.

Last edited:

Seriously????? :eek: I was always taught and thought the manual said to keep it within the range. Interesting as I was getting an oil level light on my last trip.

EDIT - the manual simply says to keep it between the two hash marks. I think I'll start keeping mine at 3/4s.

There is quite a bit of room for oil expansion in the crankcase so keeping the level at the high mark is not going to cause churning from the crankshaft.

In regards to the indicator light flashing, it seems that some FZs are affected with this issue but not many based on posts I've read. It really an annoyance as opposed to a problem, if you know that there's enough oil it can be ignored until it warms up.:)

Honestly, I NEVER check mine. I just change the oil and cap it. Seriously.

i check mine about once a week, with the dip stick it is to easy and i don;t really have an excuse not to.

i use KY jelly on..... wait what are we talking about lubing, bikes for get what i was saying

Once a month or so is enough for me. I find no loss between changes so I'm not too worried. I look over the bits on my bike frequently because a failure is more of a problem on a bike than in a car. However, I can't get into the obsessing thing with my car, bike or anything else. I try to go for reliability when I buy things (part of the reason for selecting the FZ6) and so I don't think I need to constantly check everything that shows no sign of wear, fatigue, etc.

Yes, I have found it to be lower and I have had to add half a quart a few times. I do run 8000 miles on mobil one 15,000mile extended performance oil though. Each time has been on long interstate trips close to the end of the oils service life. Like from here to Cape G. MO and back or here to whitewater state park in IN, or from here to Alton IL. It seems like it is just something about the interstate and the droneing same rpm for miles and miles that eats or evaporates it?

i check it every 2 weeks or so, just cause the temp here are in the 80's now and when the summer comes it will hit over 100 of the street.

Other than Wrightme, don't think I've ever heard of anyone needing to add oil, but I'm still paranoid after the MSF drilled it into me. Guess too many folks went down due to a seized engine. I'll keep checking it... doesn't cost but a minute.

Every 3000km's i give it a change..excessive i know, but being an old Ducati Man, i am paranoid about these things!

:thumbup:

So has anyone EVER found their FZ6 oil level to be lower than expected?

Mine has never really changed. During break-in it went down a little, but not enough to worry about (from full to half way on the dipstick).

I check it every week or so, usually when I check the tire pressure and chain and do a quick bolt check. Been using Repsol 4T racing 10w-40, got rid of clunky gear box, mostly.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back