Which Tyre????

Which tyre is the best for grip and cornering?

• Michelin Pilot Road 3

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 2

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • Z6 Interact

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Z8 Interact

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Pirelli Angel

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • BT - 023

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • AVON Ultra storm II

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other please state

Votes: 15 10.8%

• Total voters

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, what you're saying, Dan, is that you like the Metzelers?

LOL!

What 'model' tyre, so I know what to look for?

Those blessed Shinkos aren't cheap either. ('bout $360 for a set)

Any recommendations on retailer?

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy Crap I pay less than that for a set of Pilot Roads :/

Alas yes, that's because you apparently live in the land of low fuel prices, and lower wages.

Thus it doesn't cost much over there to make and/or ship.

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

I love them mate :thumbup:

Im using the new Z8 Interact , which replaced the Z6 Inter (there are still some of these in stock around the place).. I cant vouch for any dealers in South Oz but you can find the local dealers here Metzeler Motorcycle Tyres (Aust) Pty Ltd or you can buy them from the place I get mine in QLD , they will ship interstate everyday Two Wheel Tyres - Motorcycles, Parts, Accessories, Servicing :thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick
I've been running Z8's for a while now - they are friggin awesome.

Come rain and shine, they stick to the road like glue.

Metzler Z8s are fantbulous :rockon:

And Dan, he knows the love of a Z8 :D

FZ6Hot

FZ6Hot
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had 4 different tire brands on my bike. Now I ride fairly aggressively and longevity is not important to me.

BT-020 original tires that came with bike. Lasted over 10,000km but but felt unstable

Metzler M3 - great when they were new but the front started cupping after 5,000km. They did feel smooth with very good traction,

Michelin 2CT - stick like glue. The only thing I didn't like was their tendancy to turn too quickly in corners. The turn in problem wasn't quite so pronounced after I had the front forks upgraded with intiminator valves.

BT-016 - current tire and my favourite so far. Sticks as well as the 2CT and very smooth transition from side to side in the twisties. I've ridden to the edge of the tires (on a track) and felt very confident.

Next will be pair of Dunlop Q2's.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I wonder if that's the old Two Wheel Tyres, formerly operated by Alec Speyers, that was in Yamanto?

I used to go there in 1994 on my GT250X7. (Alec recommended Dunlop ArrowMax tyres for it)

Gees, seems like an age ago.....

(Alec was the ONLY bike tyre proprietor that buffed the mould shine off your new tyres, before you left the store)

Ahh - the memories!

LOL

Cheers,
Rick

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if that's the old Two Wheel Tyres, formerly operated by Alec Speyers, that was in Yamanto?

I used to go there in 1994 on my GT250X7. (Alec recommended Dunlop ArrowMax tyres for it)

Gees, seems like an age ago.....

(Alec was the ONLY bike tyre proprietor that buffed the mould shine off your new tyres, before you left the store)

Ahh - the memories!

LOL

Cheers,
Rick

Thats the same place , it has just moved to the other side of town into a bigger shed :thumbup: Alec no longer owns it though :( The bloke that owns it now (Dave) is an old customer of Alec's & he has returned it to the service that he used to know so well :rockon:

It is still the only shop that removes the mould shine off your tyres :)

Its one of my regular haunts because he always has great specials on tyres & riding gear :thumbup:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alec no longer owns it though

Before I moved up to Townsville in about 1996 or 1997, I remember seeing him and he saying he was thinking of selling. I had my Z750 twin by then.

Dave is an old customer of Alec's & he has returned it to the service that he used to know so well

That's good - I used to go and see Alec all the time. Top bloke, excellent service etc.

You'll have to ask Dave for a price on the Z8s (120/70ZR17 & 180/55ZR17) for me please! (tell him I was a former customer of Alec's, it's a small world!)

Its one of my regular haunts because he always has great specials on tyres & riding gear :thumbup:

Well, I'm in the market for new riding gear (see what specials he's got on, ahem, larger pants)

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll have to ask Dave for a price on the Z8s (120/70ZR17 & 180/55ZR17) for me please! (tell him I was a former customer of Alec's, it's a small world!)

Well, I'm in the market for new riding gear (see what specials he's got on, ahem, larger pants)

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

I think from memory the Z8's are $580 shipped for the pair but I will check for you next time im there :thumbup:

As for the pants , I bought a pair of 'larger' Dririder Nordic pants from there the other day for $150 ;) I'll see if they have anymore in stock for you...

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
BT016! Had them on my R6 and FZ6. Best tyres i ever used. They do cost a fair bit and dont last long. But when you got no chicken strips at all on the rear, nothing else matters.

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
For grip the Dunlop Q2 I've ridden the 016 and they will eventually give up on the track long before the Q2, the Bridgestone 003RS is more on par. If your down under you usually have the choice of Dunlop Q2 and the Sportmax, which is even better.
Like anything else if your looking for grip on the street any reputable brand will do. If your losing traction on the street your doing something wrong (pressure, set up, body position, road conditions, etc) Or I wanna see these roads.

For Commuting and overall mileage the Pilot roads 3 or the BT023. Havent gotten to try the Dunlop road smart 3 yet.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
BT016! Had them on my R6 and FZ6. Best tyres i ever used. They do cost a fair bit and dont last long. But when you got no chicken strips at all on the rear, nothing else matters.

For grip the Dunlop Q2 I've ridden the 016 and they will eventually give up on the track long before the Q2, the Bridgestone 003RS is more on par. If your down under you usually have the choice of Dunlop Q2 and the Sportmax, which is even better.
Like anything else if your looking for grip on the street any reputable brand will do. If your losing traction on the street your doing something wrong (pressure, set up, body position, road conditions, etc) Or I wanna see these roads.

For Commuting and overall mileage the Pilot roads 3 or the BT023. Havent gotten to try the Dunlop road smart 3 yet.

The new BT-016 Pro is a little better as far as wear is concerned and they may be better at the track now since they've gone with difference compound technology now. I'm at the end of my rear BT-016 Pro now and it has lasted at least a thousand more miles and I think I have another thousand left. The front looks great.

So they've changed how this tire works (RC Polymers whatever) and as a street tire riding more aggressively in the mountain and desert twisties this tire has been great for me. The Pro version has been available in Europe and other countries long before the US. and I understand the wet grip is much improved. You might find the older BT016 but I would check the dates on the tire because they're being fazed out.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think from memory the Z8's are $580 shipped for the pair but I will check for you next time im there :thumbup:

I paid $430 fitted for my Metzeler Z8s, and absolutely LOVE them, my bike is SO much more nimble and predictable - I find myself dragging pegs EVERYWHERE!

Simply the best tyres, bar none.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you like them :thumbup:

No, no, no Mate - Like doesn't even come close!

One thing is for certain, they don't feel like ST tyres, as they are SUPER sticky.

Can't wait to see how many kms I get - as I'm already well over 2000!

WOOT WOOT!

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, no, no Mate - Like doesn't even come close!

One thing is for certain, they don't feel like ST tyres, as they are SUPER sticky.

Can't wait to see how manykms I get - as I'm already well over 2000!

WOOT WOOT!

Cheers,
Rick

I have been trying to tell people this for years :thumbup:

they really are a cut above anything else :rockon: