Why are riding pants often ignored?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it just me, or do you see the samething?

I see most riders (and it could be you) wear most of their safety gear, like an armoured jacket, gloves, and even boots. But I rarely see them riding with riding pants around the city. Mostly just riding in jeans.

Why?

Is it because they're not riding long distance or aggressively hitting the twisties?

Is the lower half of your body not as important? Knee caps, pelvis, leg, shins, are they less important than your hands, arms, shoulders?

People are obviously thinking safety, because you pretty much see everyone ride with more than just a helmet. But more often than not, the pants are usually omitted. If you're going to take the time to put your gear on, why stop half way.

For me, I wear full gear all the time. Even if it's down the block to get a burger.

I would like to get some thoughts on this matter, hopefully from the folks that I'm talking about.

That used to be me. Then i thought about it and realised the money/time to put them on was a better option than the pain of losing all the skin off your legs.

None of my friends own pants but like you said have everything else. They even poke fun at me for wearing them but to me pants are part of ATGATT

I've always wondered the same thing. I'm guilty of it. Its one of those pieces that creates the biggest hassle, which i'm sure has a lot to do with it. Though before I get back on my bike this spring I want to pick up knee guards and/or leather riding pants. Its funny when i see guys on bikes with NO gear, they just look plain silly. Gear is awesome.

When I'm not riding in my leathers I where shin and knee protection under my jeans. It's not enough but it's something and now I'm looking for some Kevlar pants from Motoport. I agree and feel naked when I don't have my leather on.
Also guilty in the past of riding with just jeans on the bottom.
Thanks for reminding me to pursue getting my Kevlar......

it's all vanity IMO

1. They look stupid.
2. Can't take them off the same way you can take the rest of your gear off and go have dinner with your friends.
3. If you do decide to change you need to have a place to change, you need an additional pair of pants + a place to put your riding pants (i.e. extra luggage).
4. You can't just take them off like a jacket but you need to also take off your boots (laugh all you want - I hate that lol ... once I put them on I know I'll be taking them off when I'm done riding for the day)

And no, I don't ride my bike to a restaurant that's 2 miles away. I, however, do enjoy to go on my evening/night ride after work, ride for 3-4 hours and then stop by a bunch of friends (20-30 miles away from home) on my way back and go grab a bite with them. And I definitely don't like looking like a power ranger when I'm going to some bar/restaurant/etc. To me that was the main reason why I was guilty of occasionally not wearing my pants in the past - they plain and simple look stupid and feel weird (i.e. not as light and comfortable as my jeans). BUT I am glad to say that I no longer care and I wear my pants in 99.999% of the time regardless of whether I'm stopping to grab food or not :)

P.S.

Oh and BTW the very first time I decided to wear jeans instead of my riding pants I got rearended and totaled my FZ6 :) Not a scratch on my legs as I landed on my boots and gloves ... I just got lucky :) (Ironically the only damage on me was on my foot where my sidi vertigos gave out)

Last edited:
I wear Draggin jeans - they actually have some good girly jeans - don't look naff. I would rather wear Draggin jeans than lose all the skin off my legs anyday. ;)

Prior to the late 80's, and into the early 90's there were very few options for riding overpants. Chaps and one leather piece suits, were about it. Heavy. Bulky. Hot. Textiles have changed my view of safety gear. To a degree.

I'd ridden off road all through the 70's with blue jeans, and logging boots.... gloves due to the blisters you would suffer from the grips, and a helmet to keep from having the brush beat you senseless. A tee shirt was pretty common upper body protection.

People crashed just as much...... when it's demonstrated on a regular basis, you learn not to do those behaviors that result in the damage. I think the X Games are a tremendously foolish thing to show kids..... triple backflips on a motorcycle? Fooking nuts. It's stupid to try.

The sense of security given by padded armor is a wonderful thing; as long as you remember that a person riding on the road is going to impact something immobile far more often (statistically) than any racer will. Just like that campaign in Australia showed, leathers don't do sh*t for survival when you stuff yourself under a bus at 40+ MPH. Realistically, it just keeps the debris in a neater package. When I used to work on the flight deck, one dog tag was around my neck.... the other was laced into my boot's upper. One or the other was likely to survive, if I didn't......

I set up a spread sheet a while back, to figure out how many feet per second a crash at 25 MPH worked out to........ turns out, it's the same velocity as you would have at impact after jumping out of a second story window. Armor is a wonderful thing for reducing abrasions and slight impact trauma..... it's going to help with the fall; but not the sudden stop at the end.

So...... if I am going to a store 2 blocks from where I have the bike, I probably won't put on the pants. If I am going to ride far enough that the ride takes longer than adding the pants will to the prep, I generally will put on the pants.

Knowing full well the risk of infection from abrasions is increased relative to wearing the overpants; sometimes in my view they are counterproductive. An ounce of preventative riding goes a lot further than any gear will. I ride slower, I cover the controls, and am even more hyper vigilant than usual.

I usually keep my riding pants on all day at work, untill I need to take a crap, then they come off.

But I always at least have a pair of jeans or some short underneath them, so it's not like i'm naked if I take them off in public.

For those who think gear or even pants aren't necessary just because it's a two minute ride down the street, most crashes occur within the first 5 minutes of your ride, and close proximity to where you live.

Of course, there are just certain situations or crashes where no amount of gear will save your ass. R.I.P. But the point is, if it's surviveable, the gear is to minimize injuries. It could be as simple as road rash versus no road rash. Obviously, it's your body and your decision.

Last edited:
I agree with the above that some of them look stupid. Especially walking around with leather pants when other ppl on the street/in the mall are wearing shorts.

That's why I just brought myself a pair of new alpinestars cargos, which comes with some kevlar, knee and shin protection and it wasn't that expensive either. For those that don't like wearing texile or leather pants, you should be getting these ones at least.

Afterall you don't wanna fall and lose some skin or flesh... :)

Its one of those pieces that creates the biggest hassle, which I'm sure has a lot to do with it.

I feel the same as NextFriday... biggest pain out of all of the gear. I bought Motorport Kelvar overpants about six months after I started riding and now I feel naked without them (as NcCoder mentioned too), but they can be a hassle. A couple weeks ago at church I knocked the lady in front of me in the head with my pants trying to maneuver into the middle of the pew wearing my jacket, carrying my pants, and trying not to step on the people on the end. :spank:

I see this time and time again over here too. Also on some warm days (when we get some) idiots ride with shorts and a tee-shirt on, no gloves and trainers and worst of all on sports bikes. :(

I understand if you don't want to look like a Transformer / power ranger but it's usually the short rides that catch people out, ie cold tyres and mind on other things.

Even if i'm going for a run around town i'll wear all my kit. I usually wear textiles with knox protection built in. :thumbup:

Full leathers make you look like Randy de Puniet (he's sponsored by playboy ... thus cooler then rossi hahaha :D ).

Riding in normal jeans/shorts makes you look like:

Carefull cruzer, who doesn't drive fast and thus doesn't "need" the protection.

Or

Idiot

Lots of very good points.

The funniest are the squids in shorts, tennis shoes, with the big, bold ICON jacket and a helmet. ??? :confused:

As pointed out in the '80s there were not riding pants aside from racing leathers or everyone's favorite...(drum roll please)..."Buttless Chaps"!!!!:cheer: I just love that term....

I think the main reason people don't wear them is because they can be a PITA to put on just to make a quick trip, grocery store, etc. You gotta take your shoes off, put on your pants, then shoes back on. Whereas with a jacket and helmet you simple throw them on as you walk to your bike.

The other reason is they do look rather silly, I mean a snowmobile suit in Texas in August?

The of course there is everyone favorite group of motorcyclists (pun intended) Harley riders. They don't want to look like a "Power Ranger". Ohhh, not cool...like buttless chaps, a doo-rag, a wallet with a big chain, and black tee-shirt that says, "Harley Davidson of Buttmont" on the back are. (My ex will get that joke...) In other words it's not part of their HD, low esteme "uniform".

I will admit sometimes I'll forgo them for quick trip around town, but I wear everything else all the time...EEATT? I do wear them for, commuting, day trips, touring, etc.

Last edited:
I usually do not wear riding pants, mainly they are a huge PITA for work. I have no where to put them once I take them off and they violate our dress policy (business attire, shirt, tie, dress pants).

When I go riding, I find armored jeans (mine are Icon, but similar in concept to draggin jeans) more livable. Finding a place to put the riding pants when you go to a hill climb, or a concert is a PITA, they take up as much space as my jacket. And wearing them for several hours standing around on a 90F day is not my idea of fun.

With my ICON jeans, I can wear shorts underneath and take the jeans off when I get to my destination. They fold up much smaller and will fold up with my riding jacket and fit into one side of my saddle bags, instead of filling up both as with my TourMaster riding pants. And the jeans are much easier to get on and off, and to CLEAN!!

Until they make more user friendly riding pants that do not cost an entire paycheck, I will stick with my Icon jeans. Though the riding pants are really, really nice in colder weather rides! End of Rant!!! :rant:

I'm getting better about ATGATT. At the end of the riding year '09 I was probably geared up in my pants 80% of the time. Like a lot of others I don't always feel comfortable in my riding pants off the bike. I've tried wearing jeans/shorts under my pants (they are big enough) but as someone said- then it's boots off, pants off, boots back on, etc. Repeat when you get back on the bike. PITA. Probably a pant with a full leg zipper would work better but I'm not sure you get the same amount of protection. So my New Year's resolution 2010....Become less vain about appearance and be proud of the look of a responsible rider! :rockon:

Biggest reason I don't is simply I live in the country..... I go down I'm going down hard! I am always aware of my surroundings... I never ride over my means and numerous times practice quick stops.... I raced motocross for a few years and can keep a bike straight and tires on the ground in a very quick stop situation... had to do it in the past on the fizzer.... stupid lady and her dogs........:spank:

Is it because they're not riding long distance or aggressively hitting the twisties?

Is the lower half of your body not as important? Knee caps, pelvis, leg, shins, are they less important than your hands, arms, shoulders?

People are obviously thinking safety, because you pretty much see everyone ride with more than just a helmet. But more often than not, the pants are usually omitted. If you're going to take the time to put your gear on, why stop half way.

It really is such an interesting irony. I don't get it. Every person with a skin graft would trade that injury for having bought the gear that they originally though was uncool or bothersome. I guess gear serves different purposes for different people, but I'm with you (and others) Vegas--ATGATT. The best reason to wear protective gear? For the crash. You could get a nasty injury falling from your bike at a dead stop. There's no better feeling than having prepared for something bad, and then prevent it. And I know from my own stupid experience...There's no worse feeling than knowing how stupid you were.

Wolf,
I had a pair of those Icon reinforced jeans. They are comfy and stylish, but shreaded when I touched down on pavement at 50mph. Draggin Jeans are in a whole other class. Maybe you could get a pair of these: Thor Knee Guards - webBikeWorld or another like them. I like my Icon shin guards under jeans. :D

I use Joe Rocket Atomic pants for the daily commute. They work as over-pants and are easy to take on and off. The weekends I use my A-stars A-10 leather/textile hybrid pants. Those don't work as over-pants...they are snug fitting. They also accommodate knee pucks.

The one crash I have had on the FZ6, I was wearing all the gear I had at the time.... armored jacket, heavy gauntlet gloves FF helmet, steel toed over the ankle boots. And blue jeans. My crash resulted in no road rash whatsoever. That's what happens when you stuff the bike into a muddy ditch.

The shoulder injuries I sustained, I am convinced were severely aggravated by the backpack I was wearing, which I was carrying my laptop in. Having that 8 X12" plate between my shoulder blades with straps (from the pack) restricting the natural rotation of my shoulder..... the shoulder 'gave'. And three ribs, right along my spine. I suspect the exterior textured padding on the jacket 'caught' on the ground, aggravating the rotation.

I also took one heck of a clout to the inside of my right knee. I believe this was caused by the right side 'pod' sliding over my leg, when I came to a stop and the bike continued without me. That bruise turned into a dinner plate sized lump that stood out from my leg by at least 2" for nearly 2 weeks afterwards. I was very near to having severe blunt force trauma from that one..... if this had ruptured an artery.......

The pants were, of course, covered in mud. Had I landed on pavement, there would have been significant abrasion to the outside of my knee and probably more permanant damage to my knee joint..... this was very similar to getting hit with a bat, or the like. I don't like to contemplate what that would have been like, with a solid surface behind the 'strike'.

Yet, I do not believe riding pants would have provided anything beyond abrasion protection in this specific circumstance. Where my leg hit, and where the bike hit my leg, armored pants provide no additional padding.

Gear is a good thing....... but it cannot replace good technique. If the gear gives you a sense of invincibility, be afraid. Pride goeth before a fall.

If I am going to do some technical riding I will have my Cortech pants on (armored/padded thighs and knees) along the the rest of my regular gear.

If the wife and I are heading out on the cruiser to a day festival or other outing, we have on our gear (helmet/gloves/jackets) and jeans. Armored riding pants are simply not practical/comfortable if you plan on walking around all day. Same goes with riding to work.

I am simply not sold on reinforced jeans providing any better protection than regular jeans so I haven't pulled the trigger on getting them. I had a pretty good accident a few years ago and the only thing I wasn't wearing was protective pants. While armored pants would have likely made SOME difference reinforced jeans, judging from WHERE my jeans tore, would have made no difference.

Of course I am not saying they have no merit, but a lot of those jeans are made of lighter denim then my everyday jeans. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Back