Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Other (please reply reason)

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering what the most common reason for changing out the stock exhaust on the FZ6 is, performance, sound, looks, the "mod bug" made me do it....

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
#1: Deal was too good to pass up (I suppose this falls into the mod-bug category) :D
#2: Sound. Power gain is not really noticeable, imo, but the sound definitely transforms this bike.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sound and performance. Mine was combined with fuel management and dyno'd.

I don't get the mod bug cuz I have the mod gene...

270px-Gene.png

Last edited:

joshfz6.2008

Reaction score
Visit site
Guess I could have voted performance, instead of other but my biggest reason was reducing the weight with out getting rid of other things like the centerstand

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I had only been riding a few months. I got boxed in by a couple cars and a range rover. Well the range rover just moved over!! For a couple seconds we were both in the same lane.

I am pretty sure the moron had no clue what he did as the bike was silent and well morons do what morons do. I had to take evasive action but held it together ok.

I ordered the Leo Vince system 3 days later. So, yeah. the sound was what I was after

GkS

Reaction score
Visit site
Of course, sound!

Also, after mounting my carbon mivv terminals, I get less heat for the backseat (which is good for the passenger) and the total weight is something like 3kg less for the bike's tail...

Performance, I don't care at all.....the bike is already a rocket by it's self.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sound and looks. And where I used to live, hardly anyone changed their bikes (they stayed mostly stock), so there was the Look Cool Factor as well...

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
Mostly for the sound. Stock sounds like a scooter. Now it sounds like a proper 16v 600cc! Much safer riding now that everyone (and everything) is aware of me rolling.

But there were a few unexpected benefits, such as weight reduction, better looks and performance.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I want to change mine because the stock is boring. Performance wasn't an issue for me. I kind of want to remove the cat, swap to a high-flow filter, and get my ECU reprogrammed, but after looking at the cost...

And I think I'm doing the DIY exhaust route, but details won't be released until the pipes are done.

So, is that the mod bug or my crazy brain? Both? I like the sound too.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Sound. Hands down.

The stock exhaust made it sound like a moped below 6K rpms. On the downside...the aftermarket exhaust makes you sound like a squid coming down the road. :rolleyes:

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a modded exhaust on one bike that I did myself. All my other bikes were bought used with a modded exhaust. I prefer the stock exhaust but if the bike is already moded then oh well.

I had to modify the exhaust on my BMW R1150R to be able to fit luggage without going with an odd shaped bag that I would have lost a lot of space in. The sound didn't go up at all which was weird but I guess the cat was doing most of the muffling.

Kind of backwards to have a 10 lb muffler hanging off of there that did nothing.

Last edited:

pipski

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks and sound for me.

I bought a bike with twin under-seat exhausts only to find it's a scam using one exhaust silencer with two exit pipes and some filmsy trim and plastics to give the appearance of twin exhausts.

It had to have two individual cans and a more meaty sound for me and the Beowulf system I got more than achieves it.

I'm not even sure there is a noticeable power gain.