Winter commuting

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today was the worst day of our recent winterly spell in the UK.
I woke up to find that the snow had frozen and was pretty compacted. My usual 15 min ride to work took 30 minutes. The FZ6 was drifting sideways on some stretches. I enjoyed the ride though, slow and steady relaxing on the bars.
Mental note to oneself, Its much harder to pull away with the automatic choke still on. My wheel was spinning until I let the bike warm up.

Winterbike004.jpg

After a failing to get of the line I let the bike warm up.

Winterbike005.jpg

Giving way to an oncoming car, although the hill is slight cars were spinning on the black ice.

Winterbike007.jpg

Cheers

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty much sums up exactly what I was thinking. I could not imagine riding a motorcycle on snow/ ice covered roads.
You are completely insane...:eek:

You've got balls of solid rock sir...solid rock. :thumbup:

No you have me wrong lol my balls are like that because they are cold, I am a complete coward lol. I am used to riding all year round.
I would love the chance to experience riding in all round sunshine like some of the Florida guys. I bet that sucks lol.

Nelly

blubullit

Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly, please dont take this the wrong way.
I can't be the only one thinking, "when" not "if", you dump it.:confused:

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: Gotcha...just don't let the brain freeze the same way!!!

Keep both wheels on the ground/ice...:cheer:

No you have me wrong lol my balls are like that because they are cold, I am a complete coward lol. I am used to riding all year round.
I would love the chance to experience riding in all round sunshine like some of the Florida guys. I bet that sucks lol.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly, please dont take this the wrong way.
I can't be the only one thinking, "when" not "if", you dump it.:confused:
Mate its a fair comment,
I did drop my bike on Monday slipping over getting it out of the garage.
The crash bobbins ensured that nothing breakable hit the deck. It really reinforced in my mind that I am going to get a winter hack, maybe even a quad?
I am very short and the FZ6 is to heavy for me in high drop conditions.
Until the hack arrives I will still keep riding the FZ6.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: Gotcha...just don't let the brain freeze the same way!!!

Keep both wheels on the ground/ice...:cheer:
Thanks mate,

I plan to, its not actually to bad once you are rolling, as long as you use good observation skills, relax and don't need to slam on the brakes its OK.

Nelly

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We have a guy who goes pass the house everyday on Rollerblades and even today he was on them. The same thoughts crossed my mind when I saw these photos. WTF. :D

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I left the bike at home today and took the train, it was similar conditions here. My biggest worry is riding off the curb (my bike's in my front garden)and totally loosing control, I hate to admit it but I've hit a neighbours car before now on my previous bike (in similar conditions, how to make freinds and influence people) :eek:.
Anyway I'm impressed Nelly:cheer:

By the way I always let the bike warm up on these cold mornings it makes things so much smoother.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We have a guy who goes pass the house everyday on Rollerblades and even today he was on them. The same thoughts crossed my mind when I saw these photos. WTF. :D
Now thats a real man M lol, was he wearing fluorescent Lycra?

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I left the bike at home today and took the train, it was similar conditions here. My biggest worry is riding off the curb (my bike's in my front garden)and totally loosing control, I hate to admit it but I've hit a neighbours car before now on my previous bike (in similar conditions, how to make freinds and influence people) :eek:.
Anyway I'm impressed Nelly:cheer:

By the way I always let the bike warm up on these cold mornings it makes things so much smoother.
Thats very funny martin,

Yesterday Boris Johnson was talking about the inability of our rail service to master the conditions.

Boris "We have the right kind of snow in the wrong kind of quantities" LMAO.

Nelly

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow.. im inabsolute awe.."the force is strong in this one" :thumbup:..i would of looked out the window and gone back to bed!!

things are gonna be bad in S.Wales tonight and tomorrow..heavy snowfall for 12-18 hours from midnight ..more school closures and childminder fees for me :eek:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow.. im inabsolute awe.."the force is strong in this one" :thumbup:..i would of looked out the window and gone back to bed!!

things are gonna be bad in S.Wales tonight and tomorrow..heavy snowfall for 12-18 hours from midnight ..more school closures and childminder fees for me :eek:
There is no way I would try and ride up the valleys of Ponty. That would be a suicide mission lol.

Nelly

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't say I enjoyed my blat down the A34/A303 to Andover at half five this morning, getting sprayed with wet salt by all the trucks. The bike's getting in a right state, but at least I can easily see which bolts I haven't swapped for stainless ones yet :D

It's supposed to snow and rain and freeze again tomorrow. Oh, deep ****ing joy!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't say I enjoyed my blat down the A34/A303 to Andover at half five this morning, getting sprayed with wet salt by all the trucks. The bike's getting in a right state, but at least I can easily see which bolts I haven't swapped for stainless ones yet :D

It's supposed to snow and rain and freeze again tomorrow. Oh, deep ****ing joy!
I know what you mean, You got to rinse it down every evening to stand a fighting chance. I left for work at 07.30, is it even light at 05.30?

Nelly