Headlights And understanding.

domination2727

Shinigami
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea more them likely is the case. I think i get how its working and think i can work with this.. Both reflectors are the same just one has a different opening then the other. So what ill do is the orignal h4 socket ill remove one power lead and route it to the h7 socket. Ill modafiy or change the h7 socket to an h4 socket or a simalure bulb type just with 2 elements and make the high beam side attach to the h7 for highbeam and expand the low beam wire to the 4 socket so it only lights the low beam on the h4 bulb. I think that should work. When i do it ill post pictures especialy if it works well

I’d be highly interested to see how that works out. I just ordered a LED h4 and h7. But if I can get it to run 2 H4 bulbs low/high that would be way better.

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
You dont have to do it but it defantly makes sense to me to do it. I just ordered anouther h4 light that comes with adaptor plates which makes my life easier. I want two of the same bulbs but for now ill settle for two different one. Ill have the led in about a day or so and ill wire it up at that point. Should be a rather simple wiring job i figure. Just need 2 wires. Ill document it all step by step so any one can do it easily.if i add a relay i can make it shut down the low beam. I might have one i can try it out and see how it works since some people would prefer the low off for heat reasons. Ill post again when its done cheers till then.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
THe patterns of the L and R reflectors are definitely different for high and low beam.
IIRC, the overseas versions of the FZ6 where they drive on the left side of the road have the low and high beams opposite of how they are here. What you may be able to do is source a headlight assembly from an overseas bike, and swap the refector housings for two H4 bulbs. You’d also need to redo the wiring harness.

LED’s don’t have “filaments”. On the LED H4 bulbs I have used, they have a low-beam side and a high beam side. Yes, on high beam they are both illuminated. I don’t think that’s anything to worry about in regards to needing to change the harness. Halogens are designed to use only one filament to not overheat and draw too much current. LEDs shouldn’t have this problem. Even the more expensive ones I’ve used are designed like this.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I would need to get this mod if I’m swapping out to LED bulbs then to keep both filaments from running all the time?

I noticed that when I ran LEDs, when the high beam circuit was active both the low beam and high beam LEDs were active at the same time even though the low beam supply voltage was not present. This may be the way all H4 LED headlamps work so the would be no reason to shut off the low beam supply voltage as you do with the H4 halogen.

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the bulbs are built that way to provide more light. I was playing with it a little and found that both leads are lighting up my led bulb on both connectors it lit up both high and low. Ill play with it more when i have more time. But i did still end up dremaling the bulb connector any ways to the right shape. It worked alright but even tho it looks the same as the other housing there is obviously some issues with focus as the low beam side is like you said not focused lile the highbeam. I have no issue with this but i just need to figure out how to get these leds to light only low and only high. Will take a volt meter to it soon as i get the time to rewire. 20190810_201932.jpg20190810_202419.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the bulbs are built that way to provide more light. I was playing with it a little and found that both leads are lighting up my led bulb on both connectors it lit up both high and low. Ill play with it more when i have more time. But i did still end up dremaling the bulb connector any ways to the right shape. It worked alright but even tho it looks the same as the other housing there is obviously some issues with focus as the low beam side is like you said not focused lile the highbeam. I have no issue with this but i just need to figure out how to get these leds to light only low and only high. Will take a volt meter to it soon as i get the time to rewire. View attachment 69902View attachment 69903

Make sure your connections are correct. There should only be 1 LED section lit when there is only the low beam signal applied. Then both should light with the high beam signal applied. If both are lit all the time something is wrong.
H4_9003_Bulb_Pin_Out.jpg

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea i know which is which but the bulbs i have are running high and low on both plugs so they are likely wired for power on both or expect a certain amount of voltage to switch bettwen high and low. Which may be the case. Ill test it more in future but this one turned out easy enough. All i did was mod the bulb to make it fit. If i cant make the bulb change high and low ill just say screw it and leave it. At least for now. To many other things that need my attention right now. Ill update as i do this mod tho.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea i know which is which but the bulbs i have are running high and low on both plugs so they are likely wired for power on both or expect a certain amount of voltage to switch bettwen high and low. Which may be the case. Ill test it more in future but this one turned out easy enough. All i did was mod the bulb to make it fit. If i cant make the bulb change high and low ill just say screw it and leave it. At least for now. To many other things that need my attention right now. Ill update as i do this mod tho.

The unit is defective. There should be one LED for just the low beam. It should not be both LEDs at the same time while on low beam. Beside the reflector design you may end up high beamiing oncoming traffic. There are a few negatives that apply to that scenario.

I had that happen on a replacement unit for a warranty exchange. There is a defective supply unit. Mine were 24 volt secondary voltage to the LED unit. I replaced the supply and it worked correctly. Your set up may be different but regardless there can be a bunch of defective units with reversed diodes.

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
Return is whats in order :p ill order a new one and just run an h7 for now. Not much sense in me mucking with it at the moment. Mostly just want to keep some of that excess wattage i was losing to the hologens. Defantly defective light tho. It has a box in the line and i suspect that is where my issue is.

domination2727

Shinigami
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I just read through the recent posts and I think I understand this a lot better now. Thank you everyone that has commented and provided information! You guys are awesome!!

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I just read through the recent posts and I think I understand this a lot better now. Thank you everyone that has commented and provided information! You guys are awesome!!

:p glad it helps. A better understanding of something really helps open a persons eyes to new possibility’s I do a lot of custom work on my own stuff and I always try to help explain the unexplained. It also pays to find a place like this that has so many good knowledgeable people around.

And I thank every one of them for all the help they give. :rockon:

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
Updates!! Glorious Updates!!

So got the reply.. "your head light is out" then a minute of awkward explanation after words ...

So here is the update on my head lights and yes i did the conversation and it worked good.

Step 1. Unplug head lights and drop the plug below front cowling for easy view.

Step 2. Open back of plug to expose wire plugs. *The wire with the green strip is positive on the high beam side and yellow strip is positive low beam side*

Step 3. Pull out power wire on both sides removing it plug piece and all. *wiggling it or using a tiny screw driver in the end that plugs in in the tiny hole helps*

Step 4. Open the plug where it holds the wire casing and remove wire from the Cables on both sides. and re pinch to form a new loop.

Step 5. Pinch a spare piece of wire of equal or better gauging in its place. should look like something in the picture
Headlight Detailed.jpgWire Discription.jpg
Step 6. Find a plug end simalure to the socket used. **only ones i had on hand were smaller so i spread the clip end to fit** And crimp it on.

Step 7. Place the low beam sides original wire into the middle slot and the spliced wire from the highbeam side into the now empty port.

Step 8. High Beam side simply place the low beams splice into the empty middle socket. then close the backing and your done this part. picture shows wires and where they go.
Wires Description.jpg
**Optional** Use some electrical tape to tidy up the wires.

Bulb replacement. Low beam side.

Step 1. Buy a h4 bulb led if you can and get one with a plastic bracket you can easily modify.

Step 2. Modify the socket to match the h7 bulb socket with a dremal or simalure tool.

Step 3. Install bulb **you may need to create a spacer so the bulb it pressed in flush.**

Step 4. Plug the now modified plugs onto the bulbs and completed.

You now have a dual low beam high beam head light system on both sides. Adjust your reflector as needed. it likely will be needed.

[video=youtube_share;LqaxNIgoNpQ]https://youtu.be/LqaxNIgoNpQ[/video]

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Please note that your color code for the high and low beam may be reversed. Your error may just be a typo and you have the configuration correct, The high beam is black with a yellow tracer. The low beam is black with a green tracer. If your wires are reversed and you have not modified the low beam filament to shut off when the high beam is active you will certainly have issues. Reversing the wires means you are now running 2, 65 watt filaments as low beams and the light will be reflected by the reflector upwards during the low beam operation. When you hit the high beam you add 55 watts per lamp and now will be running 120 watts per lamp. That's a total of 240 watts or 20 amperes through you headlamp relay and fused network. You should only be running 65 watts per lamp at the most. 120 watts per lamp will overheat and cause quick failure of the lamp and possibly the socket.

To summarize: Even if you have the Hi and Lo beam correct you need to modify the low beam filament to turn off during hi beam operation.

Last edited:

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
Please note that your color code for the high and low beam may be reversed. Your error may just be a typo and you have the configuration correct, The high beam is black with a yellow tracer. The low beam is black with a green tracer. If your wires are reversed and you have not modified the low beam filament to shut off when the high beam is active you will certainly have issues. Reversing the wires means you are now running 2, 65 watt filaments as low beams and the light will be reflected by the reflector upwards during the low beam operation. When you hit the high beam you add 55 watts per lamp and now will be running 120 watts per lamp. That's a total of 240 watts or 20 amperes through you headlamp relay and fused network. You should only be running 65 watts per lamp at the most. 120 watts per lamp will overheat and cause quick failure of the lamp and possibly the socket.

To summarize: Even if you have the Hi and Lo beam correct you need to modify the low beam filament to turn off during hi beam operation.

I think this only applies if your running hologens the leds run at a much lower wattage. So should be ok ill go back and check the wattages my bulbs only run 30 watts per bulb using led lights. Ill check the out puts tommorow with my volt meter but with the leds i am sure to be running half of that if not more.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think this only applies if your running hologens the leds run at a much lower wattage. So should be ok ill go back and check the wattages my bulbs only run 30 watts per bulb using led lights. Ill check the out puts tommorow with my volt meter but with the leds i am sure to be running half of that if not more.
Yes if you're running LED your good to go!

Sent from Moto's Motorola

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
So oddly enough i noticed my low beam on the bulbs them selfs both sides actualy turns off during switching already must be the bulbs power system doing that when it had power to both connectors. I am ok with that. Ita hard to tell. I am in crunch mode right now so will be testing wattages and such in about a week from now. Over all i love it it works great

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So oddly enough i noticed my low beam on the bulbs them selfs both sides actualy turns off during switching already must be the bulbs power system doing that when it had power to both connectors. I am ok with that. Ita hard to tell. I am in crunch mode right now so will be testing wattages and such in about a week from now. Over all i love it it works great

My LED's do the same automatic switching off the low beam when hi beam is active. Wanted to chime in earlier but I'm not sure all LED H4's have this auto switching baked in. Good luck!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can tell you that mine did not switch. They also had a high fail rate. Maybe I'd be better off with the units you members are using?:rolleyes:

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
perhaps maybe so :p I am still not sure what is going on with it but i been doing fanexpo here in canada so been to busy to look into it. I am pretty sure for some reason it shuts off the low beams on its own it may be the secondary bulb i purchased as it has a control box attached to the wire. Ill have a update by next week at the latest will be measuring wattage's and volts and amps with a hand full of different lights i ordered. I have a set of bulbs that have a halo ring on the end and the halo is using the low beam for power. I noticed the halo ring dims drasticly when you change from low to high but does stay lit so Its likely the wattage simply switchs to a low enough voltage that it can't keep the low beam lit

But as i said ill be testing all this next week and ill make a full write up on it.

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
(update) So i never did get to testing this but i returned almost all but one of the bulbs i had as they were not very good quality. I ended up with the one that had the whole unit built into the bulb end as a decent running head light. and never reinstalled the other side lol. Will be getting a same bulb this season and using a dermal ill modify the socket to fit the low beam side like i did with the plastic housing. but all and all it all works really well. I hope people found my tutorial helpful at least to make the headlights both work simultaneously.