How do I check for spark?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My plan tonight is to empty tank(inspect fuel) and attempt at removing the fuel rail. From initial thoughts, I feel that the fuel was clean from the tank and dirty in the rail, but I shall check that tonight!! Thanks all. Also, the fuel pump filter seems pretty minuscule. I am curious if anyone every puts an aftermarket fuel filter in line with the fuel hose?

Here's a pic of a filthy OEM filter:

Question, how did you drain the tank? Completely drain when the pump was changed(hopefully)?

Re an aftermarket fuel filter. It's not needed and that IS A PRESSURIZED FUEL line you'd be hacking into with WAY MORE pressure than the little screw on clamps are designed to hold.

Once your system is clean and operating properly, no additional filters are necessary.

And to answer your question, no where on this site have I've ever seen of an after-market, ADDITIONAL fuel filter installed.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just removed the fuel pump from my 05 with 67,000 miles and that little filter had just a trace of debris on it. If the tank is kept clean then there is no need for a bigger or second filter. And it the tank is not kept clean, no number of additional filters will prevent disaster.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Question, how did you drain the tank? Completely drain when the pump was changed(hopefully)?

Re an aftermarket fuel filter. It's not needed and that IS A PRESSURIZED FUEL line you'd be hacking into with WAY MORE pressure than the little screw on clamps are designed to hold.

Once your system is clean and operating properly, no additional filters are necessary.

And to answer your question, no where on this site have I've ever seen of an after-market, ADDITIONAL fuel filter installed.

Scott beat me AGAIN!!!!!!! AHHH!!!!!

Stringbean781

Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah my filter looked similar to this. I drained it with a hand pump and wiped the bottom with a rag to get any paint chips out. There is some surface rust scattered in the tank but it isnt 100% covered in it. Thank you for additional info on the additional filter!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You need to get that rust out or you'll never get a grip on this.

You don't even have to seal the tank (they make cleaners and sealers) as long as you don't leave it half empty over the winter, allow moisture/crap to get in there...

Do a search, (or someone will post something) about removing that rust..

Stringbean781

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah i have done some research on removing rust from the tank.
So I pumped out the tank after work and the gas was clear(regular)... I took the tank off and will take out the pump.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That rust is very minimal, not like alot when stored over winter, empty (and rusts up).

There is a chemical that'll remove that rust, forgot what it was, (we used it on a friends tanks decades ago)

.What you currently have in there, shouldn't clog you up..

Stringbean781

Reaction score
Visit site
That rust is very minimal, not like alot when stored over winter, empty (and rusts up).

There is a chemical that'll remove that rust, forgot what it was, (we used it on a friends tanks decades ago)

.What you currently have in there, shouldn't clog you up..

That's what I was thinking. I think the rail/injectors must be dirty and caused the brown gas. We shall see. I will keep you updated.

Stringbean781

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! I got the fuel pump assembly taken apart and It all seemed legit(clean etc.). There is a possible o-ring that I put on the opposite side(possibly the solution for pressure). Additionally I got the rail off with an impact screw driver(thanks for that tip!) and it looked to be some debris inside of the rail. I am going to bring the rail/injectors to work tomorrow and clean out with brake clean! I attached a photo of the fuel rail, and my original fuel pump(the old one from weeks ago). Cant wait to fix this and stop smelling like gas lol. Thanks again for all the advice!IMG_4810.jpgIMG_4811.jpg

pmmcanon

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there, if it helps I'm putting the link of the post where I faced same (+/-) issue:

Post me if you need details on what material I used but it's easy to find and adapt. If you decide to power the injectors from a battery pls do it in short cycles (shortest possible) to keep the solenoid integrity. And don't dissmount the pressure dump that is in the rail (mushroom shape).

Good luck

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any idea what that crap is on the filter? Certainly isn't rust.

If you can, catch, in a clean container, what comes out of the rail(just to follow the crap trail).

Whatever that stuff is, that may have gotten past the filter.. Maybe some other crap, ??

Stringbean781

Reaction score
Visit site
She's alive!!!(peep the smoke coming out of the exhaust:)) I think it was a combination of a dirty rail/gunk in the injectors and possibly a fuel pump assembled slightly wrong. There is an o-ring in there that can be easy to missed. It stays in the wrong place when you take the pump apart. Thank you for all of your help!! I hope this thread helps someone in the future and with what I learned, I can help others too!!

Attachments

• IMG_5088.jpg
    IMG_5088.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 5