I bought a BMW F800GS !

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I just put a deposit down on a 2011 Alpine White F800GS :thumbup:
It comes with ABS, heated grips, on-board computer, clear turn signals, low seat , centerstand and dashboard power outlet.
I didn't have my iphone with me so I couldn't take any pics of the actual bike. It's getting the centerstand parts installed and I'll have it towards the end of next week.
It looks like this:
attachment.php

Nice magazine shot:
09BMW_F800GS_3.JPG

Yay! I can't wait!

Last edited:
OMG! Hahaha! Congratulations! Beautiful machine. I know someone that has one and they are fast on it! Surprised me how quick and agile those are! :BLAA:

Holy @#$@

lol, that is one extremely nice bike. I ogled that thing a lot over the past year at my local shop.

Great pick though. The 1200 is expensive and a pig. The 800 is DEFINITELY big enough to be very comfortable on long hauls and doesn't weigh a million pounds like the 1200. Plus it's chain is more conventional than the potentially expensive shaft drive on the 1200. Also saves a ton of weight. Plus I've heard in the dirt it's better to have chain.

The only other real option would have been a KTM 990ADV. But that thing is expensive and a bit heavier as well. I don't think it's THAT far off the 1200GS.

Put up a ton of pics so we can all live vicariously and all that.

Also, got any epic trips planned now? You have to or you wont do that thing any justice putting around town.

Also, got any epic trips planned now? You have to or you wont do that thing any justice putting around town.

With regards to time and money, it's going to be hard to go on another long trip for a while.
I'd like to just get better as a rider, both on the street and the dirt.

I really haven't thought about going on any more epic trips. Really. :liar:

Looks like a fun motorcycle! How much does that weigh? Some ride reports will be needed to keep us filled in. Thanks :thumbup:

wet/dry is 392/455 lbs

the big thing is that the bike is TALL!
with the factory low seat, the bike is 33.5 inches tall.
i have a 30 inch inseam.
when i test rode the bike, however, i found the height to be very manageable.:thumbup:
the bike is narrow, so that helps.
first mod is engine guards.....

Last edited:
Here is some epic F800GS riding for you......

Guy started on a 1200 and bought an 800 part way through his trip...F800 stuff starts on page 2

A Roadie in Motion - ADVrider

I'm currently on page 35 and still reading...might take a couple weeks :thumbup:

Lone, a KTM 950/990 would run circles around a BMW 1200GS everywhere, dirt or twisties.

OMG_WTF, did you consider the new triumph ADV bike that is just coming out? I think its an 800 and it looks just like the F800GS.

Here is some epic F800GS riding for you......

Guy started on a 1200 and bought an 800 part way through his trip...F800 stuff starts on page 2

A Roadie in Motion - ADVrider

I'm currently on page 35 and still reading...might take a couple weeks :thumbup:

Lone, a KTM 950/990 would run circles around a BMW 1200GS everywhere, dirt or twisties.

OMG_WTF, did you consider the new triumph ADV bike that is just coming out? I think its an 800 and it looks just like the F800GS.

i think circles might be exaggerating. it's still heavy as hell. even a 5% weight difference shouldn't make more than a 5% performance improvement even if the suspension and all is better geared to dirt. people see the KTM badge and assume it's going to be ass-stompingly great in the dirt.....but it still weighs as much as a small van. keep in mind ive only ridden the 1200GS, but unless you move to the smaller KTM's which are actually proper dirt machines, I don't think any circles will made made by the KTM machine. It'll be a more manageable ride in the dirt perhaps, but circles.....me no think so. you'd still be plowing fields with that tractor haha.

if I had the choice I'd pick the 1200GS probably. But I do love that KTM too. Why can't I have both? Frak it....why can't I have even one??? haha god damn it.

all of the above are just armchair opinions tho. nothing more.

(just checked the weights.....they're both dead even at 199kg dry weight in 2010)

but honestly it's all for nothing for me.....when the time comes I'm going to be a cheap bastard and get a KLR haha. Poor men can't buy fancy bikes for their dirty dreams and adventures.

Last edited:
Nice one,

I upgraded to the F650GS which is the F800GS but with same 800cc engine detuned , same frame, standard forks and cast wheels.

To be honest I ride way faster on this than I ever managed on the FZ6-N, corners are a breeze, gear changes smooth, and it is great seeing over hedges :)

Back