My Power Commander V, I HATE it!!

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So im sure you read the title and went "What the heck? why would he hate it? They are amazing!". Dont get me wrong, i dont HATE the PCV, I just hate it on my bike right now.
I got it a few weeks ago, im sure some of you saw my post where i was asking why it wouldnt hook up right, well i got it all working, got everything up and running, and went for a few test rides...

I dont remember the full details, but it stalled out on me several times the first ride, so i called PC and they said adjust the throttle position. Did that, rode again. Stalled out less, but still stalled out. Called again, now its upgrade my software. Did that, ride.. stall... then call, adjusted throttle again.. ride.. stall..............

This is getting old... I finally called the guy one last time, im like dude... this thing is just NOT running right. Something else is going on. first of all, the dude was kinda an A-hole... not really a jerk, just a "its the end of the day, i dont feel like working anymore" kinda attitude. I was on the phone with him for over an hour, (not over his shift, he didnt work late for me or anything). He finally cranked ALLL my idle settings up. For those of you not familiar, you can adjust how much fuel is going to your engine at any RPM, Throttle position, or gear. So he cranked the idle up to like 25% more fuel at every gear in every RPM. Rode it for the last 2 weeks, its been riding like a dream. Im lovin it. My MPG dropped to about 38 or 40, but oh well...

So thats background... now we go to yesterday. I was out riding for about 3 hours, just normal.. not too hot and maybe only 85F outside... It still stalled on me 3 times!! and i think it would have done it 2 more times had i not rev'ed it up at the last second. It seems to stall whenever i pull the clutch in without throttle, as in the bike is basically idling. So if im coming up to a red light, get down to about 20mpg and pull the clutch, it will stall. Or if i got a "oh sh!t situation and i gotta hard break and pull the clutch it will stall....

My question, and overall reason for this overly worded thread... what should i do now? call them back and see whats up? should i just sell the unit or try to return it? does it sound like something wrong with the unit or bike? or should i take it to a dyno and pay $300 to have it tuned, and hope that it fixes the problem and i didnt pay that for it to keep stalling?

HEEELLPP!

I have zero experience with aftermarket fuel controllers such as the PC-V and other units. That said, I'll take a common sense approach to try and address your question.

From what you've described, it certainly sounds like you've got a problem somewhere within your fuel system. Not sure if it's bike related or entirely contained within the PC-V. Bottom line, your engine should not be stalling while the clutch is in. To me, that's a big safety issue because it takes away your ability to escape a bad situation if necessary.

I'd get back on the phone with the folks at Dyno Jet and calmly explain your situation and what's been done so far. Don't raise your voice, don't get upset... just be polite and make your case.

I'm betting you'll get in touch with someone who is willing to help you troubleshoot your current PC-V or will make arrangements to get a replacement for you.

Let us know how things work out for you!

That used to happen to me with my 06 FZ6 when I would ride it and it was not completely warmed up. If I pulled in on the clutch and was rolling in 6th gear with no throttle the engine would die. Only with the engine not warmed up. It had no PC at the time. Once it was warmed up it never did it.
Have you done the battery disconnect for a few minutes?
By pass the PC-V. You might just disconnect the multi-terminal plugs and reconnect as the factory set up. You shouldn't have to disconnect the PC-V from it's power source...Also are you using the O2 sensor?

Not to kick you while you're down, but shelling out $300 for a PC, at least $300 for aftermarket cans, and then another $300 for dyno-tuning, all for (approximately) 5 HP gain....just seems like throwing a lot of money in the trash.

Get your money back, spend the refund on a track day or two, and you'll be a better rider for it than a 5 HP gain is for your bike.

After all the tweaking, changes and phone call I would be looking at their return policy.

With out determining if there's a problem with the bike itself? He might still have the same problem....

Not to kick you while you're down, but shelling out $300 for a PC, at least $300 for aftermarket cans, and then another $300 for dyno-tuning, all for (approximately) 5 HP gain....just seems like throwing a lot of money in the trash.

Get your money back, spend the refund on a track day or two, and you'll be a better rider for it than a 5 HP gain is for your bike.

5 HP gain is not the only benefit with a dyno'd bike and of course you'd prolly want to dyno it with an aftermarket computer.
Of course I can't disagree with the fact that you can prolly run without a PC if you're only running aftermarket cans.

Again: With out determining if there's a problem with the bike itself? He might still have the same problem....

With out determining if there's a problem with the bike itself? He might still have the same problem....

5 HP gain is not the only benefit with a dyno'd bike and of course you'd prolly want to dyno it with an aftermarket computer.
Of course I can't disagree with the fact that you can prolly run without a PC if you're only running aftermarket cans.

Again: With out determining if there's a problem with the bike itself? He might still have the same problem....

So, the way to determine if all this relates to the PCV, is to remove it and check the 'baseline'...... if it runs just as well without it as it did before the PCV, you can verify the source of the issues.

I would have to echo the words of champion221elite, 'I have no experience with aftermarket controllers,' and 'I would take the common sense approach.'

If your bike was running fine before the PC-V, and driving you nuts after the install, even with all of the helpful tips from customer service, I would think there might be something wrong with the PC-V and at the least try to exchange it.

Hope you get it resolved, there is nothing more frustrating than an "Improvement" that doesn't work the way it is supposed to :confused:

we had the same problem on a raider when the owner and installer failed to follow instructions and did not disconnect the oxygen sensor. is yours disconnected?

So im sure you read the title and went "What the heck? why would he hate it? They are amazing!". Dont get me wrong, i dont HATE the PCV, I just hate it on my bike right now.
I got it a few weeks ago, im sure some of you saw my post where i was asking why it wouldnt hook up right, well i got it all working, got everything up and running, and went for a few test rides...

I dont remember the full details, but it stalled out on me several times the first ride, so i called PC and they said adjust the throttle position. Did that, rode again. Stalled out less, but still stalled out. Called again, now its upgrade my software. Did that, ride.. stall... then call, adjusted throttle again.. ride.. stall..............

This is getting old... I finally called the guy one last time, im like dude... this thing is just NOT running right. Something else is going on. first of all, the dude was kinda an A-hole... not really a jerk, just a "its the end of the day, i dont feel like working anymore" kinda attitude. I was on the phone with him for over an hour, (not over his shift, he didnt work late for me or anything). He finally cranked ALLL my idle settings up. For those of you not familiar, you can adjust how much fuel is going to your engine at any RPM, Throttle position, or gear. So he cranked the idle up to like 25% more fuel at every gear in every RPM. Rode it for the last 2 weeks, its been riding like a dream. Im lovin it. My MPG dropped to about 38 or 40, but oh well...

So thats background... now we go to yesterday. I was out riding for about 3 hours, just normal.. not too hot and maybe only 85F outside... It still stalled on me 3 times!! and i think it would have done it 2 more times had i not rev'ed it up at the last second. It seems to stall whenever i pull the clutch in without throttle, as in the bike is basically idling. So if im coming up to a red light, get down to about 20mpg and pull the clutch, it will stall. Or if i got a "oh sh!t situation and i gotta hard break and pull the clutch it will stall....

My question, and overall reason for this overly worded thread... what should i do now? call them back and see whats up? should i just sell the unit or try to return it? does it sound like something wrong with the unit or bike? or should i take it to a dyno and pay $300 to have it tuned, and hope that it fixes the problem and i didnt pay that for it to keep stalling?

HEEELLPP!
I don't know anything about your experience, etc... so don't take this the wrong way, but I'd take it to a professional who has a dyno and does this sort of thing every day. Let them sort it out. If it IS faulty, they will know and can call on your behalf. Having them call and say it's broken should carry a lot more weight than you calling in. If it isn't faulty, they should have it done and dusted in an hour with a custom map to boot!

Just sayin'...

Pop it off and see how the bike runs without it. If it is fine then reinstall the PCV with a "zero" map (all cells zero), and see how it runs. If it runs poorly then you know the PC is the issue. Adding 25% fuel is silly. For such a great product DJ can really be dumb at times...

Give it a try and see what happens.

I've used three so far and I've really liked them.

fzme- Yeah about 5 to 7 at the peak but were the PC really works is on the mid-range of the bike, big difference, and the throttle response is much, much better. At 6,000 rpm my FZ6 made more power at 40% throttle after the tune, than at 100% throttle prior to tuning, that is the difference. Don't knock it until you try it.

Last edited:
Don't knock it until you try it.

:D Good point--it's about more than just eeking out a few more ponies... but it's notworth four figures to me (yet). I'll keep my mouth shut til some fool lets me try his tuned FZ:BLAA:

Nothing worse than getting something that should help your bike, to find it causing grief like this. I hope you can get it sorted soon, whichever path you choose.

I'd personally hang in there and go for a shop dyno. I'd let them know the issues up front and ask for a fixed price to get it running well. You don't want them burning up hours (ie $$) trouble-shoothing a faulty unit at your expense. Not sure if they'll take it on but worth asking.

You'd think from the success of others here, and the product's intended purpose, that you could get it working the way you envisage. Good luck!

I didn't think the PC 5 was for our bikes? I thought that's what I read or heard on the forum?
Its not for the 08 model. Only the 09's, but i called PC and he told me it would work since nothing had been changed.

I did have a week that i took it off while thinking i was going to return it. (the phone rep swore that the cable in the PC had come loose, turns out it just didnt have updated firmware) But the bike ran perfect that week. There had not been one issue of stalling.

Like i said, the problem seems to be when im decelerating and i pull the clutch in at 4k rpms or higher. The tack drops, and when it should stop at about 1200 rpms, it drops all the way to a stall.

I never thought about unplugging the batt, i had did that once on the original install, but not again since i went through this mess all over again. Maybe ill look in that direction as well. I rode the bike for about 150 miles today, not one stall, but more than a few times the RPMS dropped and bobbed down to like <500 then back up. So it came really close...

Its not for the 08 model. Only the 09's, but i called PC and he told me it would work since nothing had been changed.

I did have a week that i took it off while thinking i was going to return it. (the phone rep swore that the cable in the PC had come loose, turns out it just didnt have updated firmware) But the bike ran perfect that week. There had not been one issue of stalling.

Like i said, the problem seems to be when im decelerating and i pull the clutch in at 4k rpms or higher. The tack drops, and when it should stop at about 1200 rpms, it drops all the way to a stall.

I never thought about unplugging the batt, i had did that once on the original install, but not again since i went through this mess all over again. Maybe ill look in that direction as well. I rode the bike for about 150 miles today, not one stall, but more than a few times the RPMS dropped and bobbed down to like <500 then back up. So it came really close...

O2 sensor???????

I have a friend with an R1 who just did a lot of things to his bike including A PC V and he's having similar problems. I think i'll just keep my 6 stock. It's plenty fast enough for me already.

you could also try it with the O2 plugged in but 0 out all cells in the closed loop range (which I believe was posted to be less than 20% throttle and less than 6500rpms),this would be like the map Hellgate posted a while back when he had a PCIII (and a FZ6 :) ) This way the stock ECU could set its trims itself so that you get a reasonable AFR in this range.

Otherwise I would have it dyno-tuned, it is the only way you'll know if the settings you've entered and the resulting AFRs are corect. On a eddy-type dyno they can do all kinds of accel, decel, and steady load tests to see if it is going too rich or too lean when you roll off the throttle. Or maybe you have some situation where the stock ECU trims are battling with the settings you've entered in the PV-5....even with the O2 disconnected.

Only other thing that could be done is to put a scope on the injector drivers and see if the PC-V is crapping out somehow.

Well, I installed a PCV this weekend on my 09 FZ6, and guess what. same problem as YamahaMaxdrpm.

Problem Description:

Wiuth PCV installed and configured raise the RPM in nuetral to 2000rpm from the target 1300 rpm and release the throttle. RPM dips to 800 the engine fires and quickly returns to 1300 rpm idle.

Raise the RPM to 2500 or above and then release the throttle, and RPM drops to zero with no attempt at recovering to idle speed.

Checks I then made:

Various maps including a Zeroed map. Problem still evident, without any attenuation from the zero map or any other map.

Firmware already upgraded,

O2 sensor is disconnected,

TPS is correctly caliberated (Low=0.669, high=4.110)

Disconnected PCV, Problem does not exist. Bike run as normal.

Reconnect, problem returns. ETC, ETC.

Called Dynojet, explained the situation, and they issued a Return Auth saying they neeeded to check the unit out. Also stated that since the FZ6 batch fires injectors, some of the internal software code was different and could be the issue.

I will be shipping the unit tomorrow. :(

Andy

Back