So long everyone!

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
It has been a pretty great 3 1/2, almost 4 years, but I passed my FZ6 torch to a new-rider friend of mine just last week. It was my first real bike (don't count the mostly-totaled Ninja 650R I kicked around on for 2 months) and was always good to me. Incredibly reliable, great looking, great performing, versatile, economical... well, you all know all the names for the FZ6. I got bitten by the Triumph bug pretty badly last fall and now have a garage full of them: two Street Triples, a 2008 with R and Ohlins suspension, and a 2010R. I also picked up a cafe'd out 2010 Bonneville. While I can't say they're the most trouble-free bikes, there's something endearing about them that has pulled me in. I'll still have a Yamaha key on one of my triple's keychains as I'm adding a bracket for an FZ6 helmet lock. :)

I'm sure I'll still have visitation rights to the FZ6 and will call CPS if there is any suspicion of neglect Blah, but I think it's going to a good home. This forum is not a small part of what has been great about being an FZ6 owner.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, even though you don't own the 6 anymore doesn't mean you have to leave! And we'd love to see some pics of your new rides......

Oh and do pass along our address to the new owner of your 6! :thumbup:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
He knows how to internet, so I'll send him this way for sure.

My 2008 has its exhaust off and my 2010 is stripped in preparation for paint. My Bonneville is in this video:

YouTube

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey don't be a stranger,
this is a family with the FZ6 as a link between us all, you're always welcome to throw in ideas, queries, pics, ride invitations and advice.
see you next login!:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes a bunch of us have moved to different bikes but stay with our FZ6 brothers and sisters! Drop in and say hey! :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats!! Definitely post up some pics!
My current motorcycle can fit a FZ6 in each side case, but I'm not going anywhere :D

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I have two Triumphs (after selling my FZ6) and still hang out here regularly. Came for the bike, stayed for the people!:cheer:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Safe travels dude.

Seconding the sentiment about this being a great forum. Busy and interactive, and why I come back with unrelated news or questions over other places.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's one of the 2010R from Monday. I'm one fast novice. ;)

YtrzLYF.png

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are a few pics of my triples. In other news, I went for a little ride last week with my buddy who now owns my FZ6. Seeing the HID headlights come down the street made me miss it! I also realized that the Scorpion pipes, even without the baffles, are not as obnoxious as I once thought, but still sound great even with well over 10k miles on them.

Still working on my body positioning, but the bike is fast! This is a 2008 with Daytona forks, TTX shock, and Arrow 3-1. Though it's pretty small, the windshield made a huge difference in how my neck felt at the end of the straight. The old Tech Spec pads on the bike gave me no confidence, so a set of Stomp Grips are on their way.

RwA8s0H.jpg

This is my 2010R with an Ohlins shock and a paint / uphostery change. More pics over on TriumphRat.net: Street Triple M - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

4nHoDYB.jpg

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
How does the street compare to the FZ6? I've been getting used to a Sprint 1050st ABS as a "posh", weekend bike recently, and I'm loving the litre triple. The plan is to run the FZ6 in to ground as a commuter and scrap it when it dies in a year or four. Would love another Brit triple to replace it.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
It's lighter and faster, not quite as stable. It took me a bit to get used to the different geometry. It always felt like the bike wanted to fall too easily and not hold a line, but I'm comfortable now. I always thought I'd hate the lack of fairing, but the clean windblast doesn't really bother me unless I'm doing 80 and it's a windy day. Then I'll lean into the bars a bit more.

The torque curve is much flatter than the screaming fizzer which makes it long legged for commuting and city riding and for getting the drop on unsuspecting R6s and Gixxers coming out of a corner on the track. I'm glad a Street Triple wasn't my first bike though.

The FZ6 was more comfortable overall, and with the Penske shock I had on it, the rear felt plush and controlled. Even with good Ohlins dampers and linear suspension plates in the rear of the Triumphs, they're still just a little too "sharp" over bigger bumps to be as relaxed as the Yamaha.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, my FZ6 is naked so I know exactly what you mean about wind blast. I definitely want another naked as I just find them easier to live with in the depths of winter.

Do you think it would be worth going up to the Speed Triple with the litre engine, instead of the 675(?)?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Odd, I'm not getting email notifications about posts to this thread anymore even though I'm still subscribed...

Anyway, I personally don't think it's worth it to buy the bigger bike. The 675 has plenty of torque already and is plenty of power for the street. The Speed Triple is heavier and thirstier as well. First gear with the 675 will lift the front end if you feel so inclined. It pulls everywhere in the rev range. The R package already has good brakes and fully adjustable suspension front and rear, so it's not like going from an FZ6 to an FZ1. If you just can't do without extra power, find an Arrow 3-1 exhaust and put a set of Daytona cams in it. You'll be close to 110 rwhp with that setup (which is what I'm planning on my track bike. :))