Some days are diamonds.

hearliam

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, not really a question but just pure frustration, why is it some days you go for a ride and you are on fire, and the next day your on the same road same time, and you ride like it's your first time ever. like this morning, my lines were terrible, I felt nervous on the bike which I never have. oh well I guess tomorrow's another day.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In any sport I have been involved in, the toughest skill to master is consistency. Ever try golf? This is why the professionals practice over and over. I know your frustration. One day you are Valentino Rossi and the next you look like you failed the BRC. Don't fret over it, just evaluate your performance and learn from it. There are days I just feel off. Be careful of riding with a bad attitude. The sport is just as mental as it is physical.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

hearliam

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks trepetti, that's great advice, and I'll definitley take it onboard. and I totally agree with the bad attitude, if the old head's not in the right space I just roll right out of it, it's just not worth it. thanks again matey.

Last edited:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean. One day I can go out and feel invincible and not afraid to try anything. Go out a day later and I feel nervous and a since of dread and fear. On those days I usually just wait an hour or two and try again and I am good to go. I figure why chance it whether its premonition or nerves, I will just wait it out.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems escaping on a clear mind and escaping to "clear your mind" have very different results. Also, heading out on a hangover is bad. Odds of making a mistake while having "ones head clouded" for any reason just go up! So not riding would be the wise choice!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On one hand, I agree that everyone can have an off-day and many factors can contribute to a good/bad day: mental state, amount of rest, etc.

On the other hand, how are top racers so consistent in every race? Are they truly aliens (as they are called in world of racing) or is it a combination of being physically and mentally fit and really understanding motorcycle dynamics?
Some of these guys don't even ride all that much. They spend a heck of a lot more time riding bicycles to be fit.

I know the more I learn, the fewer *off* days I have.

Oh and another major factor of preventing *off* days: riding well within your limits! I'm far less likely to have a so-so day if I'm going say 70% of what I feel is my limit and I can still have a blast. Take it up to 90% and it's a different ball game. It would require a combination of solid skills and my mind being 100% .. and I'd rather feel perfect at 70% then disappointed at 90%

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hearliam, I had your exact day today! Not the diamond kind, the mushy-having-trouble-focusing kind of day. I couldn't seem to get my eyes, throttle and lean in sync. I felt like my bike was an alien being. So I did what Erci said and rode at about 70% capacity since I was unable to discipline my mind as needed. Maybe even only 60%. I was actually kind of happy the times we got stuck behind slow moving vehicles so I could enjoy putt-putting along! That was what my brain seemed to be able to handle.

Funny part about it was that when I was 30 minutes from home, I was in a turn and something in me clicked. I found my mojo after 8 hours of so-so riding!

Erci, I think you made a really good point about always learning too. When things clicked back into place I heard my usual inner-riding coach reminding me to "look through the turn, push down and lean into the turn, ease on throttle." I don't really know what I had been thinking prior to that, but it was more like "whoa, is that sand there?, what gear are you in, don't turn down into the double yellow, you didn't need to go that slow you silly goose, speed up, wait now there's another turn…"

And of course…squirrel!!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had that problem for 25 years, but with skiing. Some days it just doesn't feel right, and if I try to push it I have a yard sale, or worse, eat bark. :eek: I've learned to just take the cat trails, enjoy the blue skies and fresh air, and take it slow.
I've only been riding since '07, and when I have a similar "doesn't feel right" day, I just go home (I usually know before I get out of my neighborhood) and mow the lawn instead; "yard sales" on a motorcycle are a bit more serious…

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, if you're not on it, go home and drink coffee.

I've had track days when I've packef it in after 2 sessions. Crashing or worse isn't worth it. There is always tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had track days when I've packef it in after 2 sessions. Crashing or worse isn't worth it. There is always tomorrow.

Thanks for saying this. As I've been planning to get ready for hitting up the track for the first time this season. I know I like to push myself and I could see the allure of the track getting me to push a little too hard.

I'll feel better knowing it's ok to call it a day.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I know the more I learn, the fewer *off* days I have.

100% that!

I started training Brazilian JiuJitsu about 3 and a half years ago, back then i trained 3 times a week and at least once every couple of weeks i would have a "bad day", where i felt like my body just didn't want to do what i wanted it to do, didn't respond to my brain.
Today i am training at least one session a day, sometimes two, for a total of between 6 and 9 sessions a week. I pretty much never get "bad days" anymore! Yes, some days are better than others, but the level drop between a good and a bad day has become pretty insignificant.
The more you practice the less those "bad days" affect the final outcome.

It's all about repetitions, and learning to control yourself, no matter if it is BJJ, golfing, tennis, or riding a bike.
If you do something enough time you will reach a point where you just do it without having to think about it.
The hard bit is putting in the hours to reach that point.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i rode for the first time today after a week off and felt a bit odd
it will take the weekends rides to get on side again
the good thing... i recognise my lessening of skill/confidence
the bad thing...... i recognise my lessening of skill/confidence

seriously that lowering of expectation of personal ability is probably the best advice
bravado is good, personal honesty is better
being squiddish is easy and i hope i exercise appropriate restraint

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
On the other hand, how are top racers so consistent in every race? Are they truly aliens (as they are called in world of racing) or is it a combination of being physically and mentally fit and really understanding motorcycle dynamics?

Remember there is whole squad of trainers including psychologists to help them prepare to race.

On the other hand they are special - not every one can be racer and it's not only about environment to make it possible but also about personal skill. There is a difference between being gifted and just learning to do something.

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for saying this. As I've been planning to get ready for hitting up the track for the first time this season. I know I like to push myself and I could see the allure of the track getting me to push a little too hard.

I'll feel better knowing it's ok to call it a day.

Someone had signature "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly" :)
I'm also getting c0cky on track. But my guardian angel will scrape my peg (or centerstand) or lock my while braking after long straight to remind me I'm out of line and it's time to either take a brake or slow down :) Or both :)

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
As was mentioned above, it happens in every field. Like in music, one day I play with not even thinking of it, and another day I can't concentrate, like the mind is not there, and I make mistakes. Same in sports and all other activities. You trying to solve a problem, but the more you think of it - the more you wearing yourself out, and the solution is even farther away. It's a normal occurrence. Many factors can contribute to this. The best approach is to take a brake and get your mind off things. You'll be surprised how soon you'll find a solution to the problem, or the things you do will be done much easier...

But there are times when you don't have this luxury of taking the time out.
Like you're on a long trip. It's early morning, you haven't sleep well, you feel tired, cranky, and not up to riding at all. But you need to ride on in order to meet the schedule; to be in the next town on time, to catch a ferry to the other side... and so on. Well, just get on a bike, and slowly roll out. Synchronize the ride with the "speed" of your mind. You'll be surprised how in time you'll get up to the task and be "yourself" again.

So yes - practice, taking it slow, and possible rest are the key.

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
There are ways to cheat the system.

If you've exposed yourself to any Tony Robbins or similar motivational people there is this idea of entering 'State' which is or specifically changing your mental state to whatever the task requires. So if you want to relax, you can program yourself with certain queues that get you into in the state you want instantly. So this type of psychological coaching can help and I do that if I'm off. I have a little system I do while riding that snaps me back into the zone.

Nutrition:
l-Theanine is an extract from green tea that helps improve concentration of focus. 100-200 mg for me is like taking an ADD med

Caffeine - if you don't take caffeine on a regular basis then a coffee can help improve concentration. However, if you chronically take in coffee then this effect is mostly lost or you almost are worse/withdrawals if you dont have it.

Balanced carbs to protein - having a good ratio of carbohydrates to protein is key for giving your brain what it needs to function optimally. Learning which foods improve your mood and energy is key. A low blood sugar from not eating enough or a high blood sugar that produces hyperinsulinemia (high insulin response) can both negatively impact concentration and focus.

Phosphatidyl Serine - is a good fat that helps your brain deal with stress and can restore concentration and focus after long periods of high stress or burnout.