Using the Rear Brake

How much do you use your rear brake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I chose option 1) I use the rear brake everytime I slow down. To be more specific with my technique, I apply significantly more pressure on my front brakes over the rear one. If I had to pick a percentage...hmm...75% and 25%?

It can change depending on several other factors though.

I've been using it a lot less since I highsided my old bike by locking the rear tire...
I thought I had a real good feel for it too. One day I came in too hot into a turn (downhill) and my survival reactions got the best of me. I used a tad too much rear brake, the rear started sliding, when the front tire wobbled, I got ejected..
Now I use it for slowing down at stop lights, and that's about it. I'm trying to get out of the habit of using it for scrubbing speed.

I use both brakes during emergency stops, I know because I've been in many emergency stop situations.

I'd rather not use the brakes when approaching turns, as I would much rather be in a position to throttle thru the turn. Hopefully, letting off the throttle prior to approaching the turn will be sufficient, however, I will use both rather than one or the other under normal surface conditions if needed.

I will use only the rear brake during slow, tight turns in which the radius of the bike is maxed out, like manuevering between objects or making U-Turns.

Both feet down at a stop, front brake.

Left foot down, rear brake depressed freeing up both hands.

Engine braking when in motion and both brakes when stopping. the best way to prevent the rear wheel from locking under hard braking is to apply gradual pressure on the front brakes whereas simulate ABS effect by repeatedly pumping the rear. Gives me the best braking performance without locking something I learned riding for 5 years in heavy Indian traffic.

I use the rear brake around town heaps...is the lazy way to brake. In Sportriding mode, i use it to settle the bike down going into a corner, and a little bit coming out occasionally, just to keep that back wheel nice and planted.

:thumbup:

I apply the rear brake gently just before 'braking' with the front brake so that the forks don't squash as much. I release it as soon as the front brake is doing it's job and then apply the rear brake again just before coming to a stop and let the front brake off so the forks are settled before stopping.

So basically I don't use it to actually brake just to control the bike when starting to brake and when finishing a brake.

It shouldn't really be called a brake as that is not what it's job is. Perhaps it should be called a stabiliser.

I always touch the rear brake to settle the weight on the front of the bike then apply the front because that is what I was trained to do when stopping or slowing in a straight line. Entering a roundabout or cornering I like to drag the rear brake to wipe off any excess speed although preferably I've got it right before I enter the intersection or corner. Dragging the rear brake and slipping the clutch for carparks and slow stuff helps keep you upright at incredibly slow speeds also. I guess this means I'll be up for pads before too long.
Cheers
Mike

Lots of good points here.
I have been training my self to use both brakes all the time. When I am doing twisties, before going into the turn I would engine brake, and if needed trail brake my rear brake and then counter steer out of the turn. I found out that doing it like this, you come in and get out of the turn a whole lot faster and safer. And also I would lean my body to the side, half way knee drag technique. It is so much fun, you bike is not leaned over to much. Your body is doing all the lean and the bike is somewhat more straight in which it gives your rear tire a whole lot more grip. I been reading books, and watching youtube of proper cornering techniques. Its amazing of how much you learn. Every time I ride, I always try to do something different. When doing city riding, of course both brakes.
Mind you I have been only riding now for about 4 months total. I tough my self how to ride. And also took the MSF course. Bought the bike first, had it in my garage for about 3 weeks, and finally had balls to ride it my self before two weeks of attending the class. Glad I did this before. MSF was a whole lot more fun after... LOL. I truly love it all. The best thing ever. :thumbup:

I noticed reading this thread that a lot of people engine brake. The engine is designed to power the bike not stop. engine braking is hard on the engine and increases wear. Your font brake should be your primary brake with the rear brake for emergency or hard braking. This is all in reference to street driving. racing you break a lot of rules for speed. On the street doing things that increase the wear on the bike for a couple of tenths faster through a corner doesn't seem worth it.

I reflexively use both all the time unless I need to brake during a turn. I'll use rear only in a turn or straighten up and use both if absolutely necessary. I've gotten a good feel for the rear, locked it a few times to get used to the sensation. I'm decent at emergency stops as a result.

I noticed reading this thread that a lot of people engine brake. The engine is designed to power the bike not stop. engine braking is hard on the engine and increases wear. Your font brake should be your primary brake with the rear brake for emergency or hard braking. This is all in reference to street driving. racing you break a lot of rules for speed. On the street doing things that increase the wear on the bike for a couple of tenths faster through a corner doesn't seem worth it.

What??? Can you please provide some factual link to evidence of this? This makes no sense to me. Thanx!

I use the rear in traffic, parking lots, dirt, grass, and when 2up. I could probably make better use of it in certain situations but have not figured out how to yet. I have never used my rear brake in a real emergency situation but I think whether or not we should is up for debate...?

I'd rather not use the brakes when approaching turns, as I would much rather be in a position to throttle thru the turn. Hopefully, letting off the throttle prior to approaching the turn will be sufficient,

I THINK you might be missing out on the benefits of moderate trail braking...I prefer releasing the front as I approach turn-in fading it out beyond turn-in but getting to 0% prior to apex. Feedback will be better and the bike will turn easier when the front end is engaged and slightly compressed. Comparatively, tossing the bike into a turn with no front brake is no where near as confidence inspiring for ME as I feel disconnected and the overal geometery of the bike is less condusive to turning.

Try and run a quick pace at the track without trail braking and you'll find the front end pushing. Point is, trail braking is not just for the race track IMO, it's a tool/skill used to control the bike, and has a place on the street. Just my $0.02

I definitely do my fair share of zero brake twisties, but this would be on relatively flat ground at a more moderate pace.

Last edited:
I noticed reading this thread that a lot of people engine brake. The engine is designed to power the bike not stop. engine braking is hard on the engine and increases wear.

Engine breaking does nothing to hurt the engine or transmission.. unless you're dropping from 6th to 1st and dumping the clutch but that's just stupid.
I use engine breaking alot in twisties especially. I am pretty used to the rear end hopping a little, in fact I expect it to sometimes. I often wonder what riding with a slipper clutch is like :eyebrow:

Now in an emergency situation or a quick stop of course the front brake is #1 combined with rapid downshifting (read engine breaking) and very little rear brake. Comming to a complete stop I engine brake while flashing the rear light and then gently squeeze the front until stopped.

I use the rear brake mostly to slow down if I am coming too hot into a turn, or just to get ready for the turn. I am getting into the habit to use the front and rear at stops, usually more front than rear. I use engine braking alot since I used to drive a manual car and always down shifted at any chance I got, I just feel more in control when the rpms are matching the speed of the car. The FZ, in my opinion, prefers higher rpms in all gears, except 1st gear.. 1st is very short.

Nope...don't use the rear. In a turn...twistie type...or hard braking to avoid an object, could cause the ass end of the bike to slide out. The fronts have more stopping power than the rear anyhow.

Before ABS in cars and trucks, there was a differentiating valve after the master cylinder that sent approx. 70% of the braking force to the front and the remaining 30% to the rear. Not sure how they do it today, problably from the ABS module, but there is still more braking power sent to the front than the rear.

I generally use both close to equally. However, since this thread came about, I've started to try to primarily use my front brakes to see if there's much of a difference. At this point, they seem to do just fine. I still use the back breaks a bit, but not nearly as much.

X

I use the rear all the time. The brake bias is initially about 70% front: 30% rear but that number changes as weight is shifted forward during a stop as more traction (weight) is available to the front tire. 30% might not seem a like a lot but you want to be comfy using it should the situation arise. The phrase used in rider training is, "smooth, progressive braking on the front, light to lighter pressure on the rear".
I'm a slow-speed trail braker myself too. At slow speeds the front end wants to dive in if you use the front brake but like mentioned by others, the rear gives a nice speed scrub-off so long as you use it gently.
Now if I'm doing a stoppie I don't use the rear at all (go figure?);) I only do them on the ranges where I teach, never on the street because if your back wheel is in the air you lost that 30%.
How you brake is an individual decision but part of the fun with riding in the first place is to experiment a bit and the FZ6 is a GREAT bike to experiment with so go find a parking lot and have some fun!

60%f / 40%r when I'm stopping casually at a stoplight, more like 70/30 or more before a corner and then just touching the back one at last to get to 0% before apex.

Last edited:
I have gotten into the bad habit of not using it much at all except to hold the bike in place at an uphill intersection. I try to use it in the twisties to scrub off some speed before the turn in but I ride twisties so seldom that I've gotten out of the habit of using it. I know it has its uses but I have found that it is next to useless in an emergency stop. I ride with the front brake covered. I don't ride with the rear brake covered and in a true emergency stop, I'm on the front brake hard and fast enough that I'm doing a stoppie. When I try and use the rear, it almost immediately skids or is already in the air. I've often wondered why people upgrade the brakes on our bikes. It seems to me that if you are doing a stoppie you are getting the maximum possible braking. Anything further would just skid the front. I'm sure I must be doing/thinking wrong because a lot of you are more experienced than me. Someone set me straight please.

If the front & rear brake are used hard at the same time, the sliding rear wheel (and it will be sliding...) prevents the unexpected stoppie! Don't ask me how I know... ;)

With my commute being through rush hour London traffic I use it all the time. It's perfect for slow control of the bike!! I tend not to use it over 10 mph though, just slow control.

Back