Votes: 12 19.0%
  • 500, 1000, and then follow the manual

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I put Amsoil 10w40 in my FZ6 and it's a miracle...

Or buy a Cavalier with the 4 cylinder Iron Duke motor. Them things were bullet proof from the day they came out. Before we moved to Kentucky my wife had a 1997 with roughly 150,000 on it and that thing never had a single problem, not one....

Ah the Iron Duke. Is that a 2.5L? I remember them in the Olds Cutlass Calais from the past. I heard that was a GREAT motor. My Cav has the fire breathing 2.0L instead (OHV, not OHC) and boasts 0-60 MPH times in the mid-month range;). Still, a great running engine and since my car doesn't have A/C or anything else to run except power steering and power brakes I think it might just run forever.
If only I could 've put 4 baby seats in it I never would have bought the Suburban:D

this is a great thread!!! it starts out like a joke then gets serious. I was going to say if the oil is that good when you change your oil, mail me your old oil and I'll try it too!!!:D

If you are going to change you oil every 3000 miles, go with the cheap stuff and save money in the process.

3,000 miles???? I freak at 1,500 miles... $26usd and a bit of time keeps things fresh and clean for me. 3,000 miles means it gets dirty. I don't do dirty...he,he

3,000 miles???? I freak at 1,500 miles... $26usd and a bit of time keeps things fresh and clean for me. 3,000 miles means it gets dirty. I don't do dirty...he,he

Are these motors hard on oil? My old reliable CX500 easily went 3000 miles on an oil change. Oil was a dark carmel color, bike has almost 60k on it. It also holds 3 quarts of oil. I am wondering if the FZ motor is more brutal on oil? If it seems to be, then I am going to stick with synthetic oil.

Are there any UOA's of oil for the FZ6? I would to see what could be causing possible oil issues. I know that FJR's have fuel dillution problems, and I am curious to see if there is anything like that with the FZ.

Are these motors hard on oil? My old reliable CX500 easily went 3000 miles on an oil change. Oil was a dark carmel color, bike has almost 60k on it. It also holds 3 quarts of oil. I am wondering if the FZ motor is more brutal on oil? If it seems to be, then I am going to stick with synthetic oil.

Are there any UOA's of oil for the FZ6? I would to see what could be causing possible oil issues. I know that FJR's have fuel dillution problems, and I am curious to see if there is anything like that with the FZ.

I couldn't say if they were or weren't hard on oil because it's not in the crankcase long enough to find out. I just like clean oil and I can save it for use in other places like my tractor. It also works good as bar oil for my saw.

I'm cheap, I'm simply following the book. 4000 or so. On the GMC truck I wait until the "DIC" tells me to. ;) Digital Information Center - or something like that. I did its first oil change at 8,750.

Same here, I'll change re recommended intervals...unless I'm riding in a dust bowl (Oklahoma in the 30's?) or somewhere. I figure it's getting your oil's worth. Same philosophy with rubber---I'm not going to discard a tire that still has good rubber. My brother replaced an entire set of near unused Pirellis on his Porsche...salesman talked him into it citing near microscopic cracking on sidewall. Shop probably resold the set for $$$. But, hey, whatever. For every person who changes oil earlier, there's probably another who changes oil even earlier.

Re: Oil Change Poll

...the cylinders are lubricated by engine oil splash from the crank. if the oil level gets low there is less oil reaching the cylinder walls causing increased friction and heat. now if it has piston squirter's thats different but if one gets gummed up than its the same deal...

Just as a point of clarification, the pistons are lubed/cooled by oil nozzles on this engine.

Re: what type/brand of oil do you use?

My first change I used Castrol activo (salesman said it was closest to yamalube) My second I used Castol GPS or GTS (semi-syn) because it was on sale. After a few oil changes im sure I will settle on something!

All I remember is it was in a gray bottle on sale at Cycle Gear. I think is was a semi-synthetic, or some thing.

Ahh, the parts girl strikes again, huh Top?

No they are at Yamaha. The girl at Cycle Gear is very nice however, actually rides and does track days too. The girls at Yamaha are bobbles, or bangles or bling (cheap, flashy and useless). When I had the misfortune of going to Yamaha last they were pulling down the back of their pants to compare tattoos and talking about getting their tongues pierced. All I wanted was a screw...er...nut..er...bolt, never mind...

Last edited:

Castrol R4 Superbike because I bought it and brough it with me the past two time, but I have the service plan and I think they said last time I was in they'll put in the synthetic honda oil for free. I guess if it's good oil it shouldn't hurt it right?

No they are at Yamaha. The girl at Cycle Gear is very nice however, actually rides and does track days too. The girls at Yamaha are bobbles, or bangles or bling (cheap, flashy and useless). When I had the misfortune of going to Yamaha last they were pulling down the back of their pants to compare tattoos and talking about getting their tongues pierced. All I wanted was a screw...er...nut..er...bolt, never mind...

well if you can't find use for 'em.........I'll try!

Have always used the mobile1 but i am going to try the amsoil on the next change.

For me, Shell ROTELLA T with Triple Protection - works great.
I can't find Rottela here. I use mobil 1 advanced Semi Syn.
I was debating using a Tesco Semi Syn. Its cheaper and i could afford to do more frequent changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back