What Rim Tape to get

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

I have done very little mods to my bike.
Changed the rear light and indicator colour, thats about it. I'm looking at putting rim tape on the wheels. What colour would you suggest as the bike is mainly silver and black. See pic below. Anyone have this style bike with tape on it. Would love to see some pics.

View attachment 34261

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on silver. Should work very well with your bike and be sure to get the reflective one, especially since you've pulled both front and rear reflectors. It'll really help to make your bike more visible from the side at night.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on silver. Should work very well with your bike and be sure to get the reflective one, especially since you've pulled both front and rear reflectors. It'll really help to make your bike more visible from the side at night.

Didn't have reflectors on it when I got it.
I bought it from a guy in the UK with less than 500klms on it and 1 1/2 years old. He never used it.

And to jack my own thread and change subject - I ended up paying €900 euro to import it into Ireland because of the low mileage. Well that's what I get for jumping in without research but F**k it, it was worth it.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Silver for sure. Whatever brand tape you get, do yourself a favor and apply the tape with the wheels off the bike. Seems like a pain, but it's more of a pain to apply the tape while the wheels are still on the moto. Trust me, it's much easier that way. If the weather here ever clears, I'll post some updated pics of mine, wheel tape and all. But, it's supposed to rain here for at least another week. Dang rain won't go away!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Silver for sure. Whatever brand tape you get, do yourself a favor and apply the tape with the wheels off the bike. Seems like a pain, but it's more of a pain to apply the tape while the wheels are still on the moto. Trust me, it's much easier that way. If the weather here ever clears, I'll post some updated pics of mine, wheel tape and all. But, it's supposed to rain here for at least another week. Dang rain won't go away!

I have no experience applying the tape with wheels off, so I can't comment on how much easier it is to do it that way, but I applied mine with wheels on the bike and really didn't think it was that difficult :don'tknow:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i bought the pre-curved reflective ebay rim tape and it looks great. it is dark gray and you can not really see it unless it is night time and headlights hit it then it is really bright. there are pics on here of them at night and during the day that i posted if you do a search it should turn up. i think it was around $15 shipped.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
i bought the pre-curved reflective ebay rim tape and it looks great. it is dark gray and you can not really see it unless it is night time and headlights hit it then it is really bright. there are pics on here of them at night and during the day that i posted if you do a search it should turn up. i think it was around $15 shipped.

Yea i was wondering if i should go for the the quater sections or the full roll. Saw them on ebay alright. Think i'll go for them so.
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Get the roll with the plastic applicator. Leave the wheels on the bike and simply spin the tape on as you rotate the wheel.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea i was wondering if i should go for the the quater sections or the full roll. Saw them on ebay alright. Think i'll go for them so. Thanks Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

What part of Ireland are you from? I spent some time in Dublin a few years ago, I absolutely loved it!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get the roll with the plastic applicator. Leave the wheels on the bike and simply spin the tape on as you rotate the wheel.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk.

That's how I applied mine, except mine didn't have the applicator.. just the pre-curved quarter sections.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
What part of Ireland are you from? I spent some time in Dublin a few years ago, I absolutely loved it!

I used to live in Leixlip in Kildare but have lived in Co. Meath for about 3 years now. Still work in dublin every week or so

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site

I applied black tape on my silver rims, 3M reflective that I picked up from ebay. I used a small application tool that came with it. Wheels on the bike, no problem.

Bike:

Did my Helmet too,

Bohz

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that looked really good on your helmet!
Practical for safety as well, for others to spot you...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that looked really good on your helmet!
Practical for safety as well, for others to spot you...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Thanks. The safety aspect was the main driver. I tried to follow some of the existing graphics so it didn't look like great swatches of black tape in normal light. I was/am very happy with the way it looks reflected. :) I have a matching blue helmet that has a near identical treatment.

Premises187

Inquisitor
Reaction score
Visit site
I managed to get this made from some guy on eBay
This is 11mm rim tape. Not like the skinny stuff.
rimtape.jpg

I've not put it on yet.

Red rim tape on a black FZ6 is the best combo!

Kinda like what this guy did
http://www.600riders.com/forum/tour...w-us-your-fz6-touring-mode-10.html#post262088

I also have a red oil plug.
oilplug.jpg

Will be looking into red bar ends and reservoir caps.

Last edited:

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
I have ordered up some silver tape. I'll see if it look good and I'll post up pics of when its done.
If I don't like the look of it I might look at introducing a new colour onto the bike. Silver and a deep blue or something.
Blue rim tape, blue brake line etc.

:mikebike: