Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Putting it back together after doing the bd34 cable.

Silly question.

When I wire the HID up, should they light up when I turn on the bike? Or only when I fire up the bike?

thx

I have mine on a switch, but it should come on when you fire up.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Putting it back together after doing the bd34 cable.

Silly question.

When I wire the HID up, should they light up when I turn on the bike? Or only when I fire up the bike?

thx

with my angel eyes running off the running lights they come on when the key is turned. but the projectors don't come on until i hit the starter and fire up the engine.

htdub

Reaction score
Visit site
Having issues with the left side, H7 Side, not sure if it's the HID controller or my wiring, I can't get it to fire. I'm swapping sides to see if it's the kit's harness.

The right side, works fine, high beam moves the shutter motor.

But nada for left side.

Last edited:

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
so you're getting no power for your h7?

and you've plugged that projector into the known working controller and ballast? if you did that and it doesn't work then i'd say it should be an easy answer that your projector is bad.

did you buy two sets of projectors? if so you could try the other h7 projector you were going to sell.

if you plug in the h7 into the h4 controller and ballast and it works then you have a ballast or controller issue. the ballast should be pretty easy to swap out to try.

assuming your h7 works when plugged into all the h4 stuff and both ballasts are good then you might want to shoot some detailed shots of your wiring and maybe a few of us could help you out.

it's a pain when it doesn't work out right out of the gate. sorry man.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
so you duplicated the wiring from the h4 on the h7 side, correct?

make sure you are getting good positive and grounds on all your wire connections.

gjpollman

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont know how much interest there still is in doing this mod but I just shot an email off to a contact that does HIDs and asked if they can do split orders in these style projectors, they have an awesome reputation with a number of the car forums so if they can accomidate us I may try to get a group buy... again that is if there is still a good amount of interest. let me know what you guys think.

htdub

Reaction score
Visit site
Projectors and ballast are good, swapped those. Maybe controller, going to swap that now.

I've took all the connecting wires apart to start again.

Here's what I have from the H4 side to the h7 side, a wire connecting the 3 locations matching it on the h7 side.

H4 Side, factory harness with 3 cables. Took the Left postion factory cable out of the h7 side.

photo%202.jpg

photo.jpg

Got a volt meter to check things again.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Projectors and ballast are good, swapped those. Maybe controller, going to swap that now.

I've took all the connecting wires apart to start again.

Here's what I have from the H4 side to the h7 side, a wire connecting the 3 locations matching it on the h7 side.

H4 Side, factory harness with 3 cables. Took the Left postion factory cable out of the h7 side.

Got a volt meter to check things again.

what are these wires you have shoved into the plugs? what do they run?

Cut and solder any connections. You dont want to ever revisit this kind of wiring issue after the job is done.

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
total guess here since you didn't label/tell what the wires were. and this is going based on what i did.

looks as though you have bd's dual headlight mod (guessing that's the green horizontal wire in the second photo) plugged into the h7 socket. then a white wire running from that to the h4 horizontal plug. assuming this goes to the green/spotted orange wire for the mod you're ok here. although you do want to make sure all connections are soldered.

i'm a little confused on your black wires. they should have been left alone. they are your ground and are fine.
it appears you may have left one in place... taken one out... and then used a wire to jump from the one you left in to the socket that was then empty because you took a ground out. if so, that's fine. you just did more work then you needed to.

now here's where i'm really confused. it looks like you have used the red wire to jump the yellow/black striped wire to the green/black striped wire. if that is the case you are close but no cigar. you do need to jump the yellow/black striped wire over to that connector but the green/black striped wire needs to be pulled and taped up out of the equation.
the yellow/black wire is for the high beams of the h4 and that green/black wire is for the low beam of the h7. you don't want to jumper those two wires together.

i'll see if i can dig through my fairing and pull those connectors out and get a pic of mine later. otherwise, i hope that helps some.

htdub

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help, you figured out what I did better than I did.

I do plan on soldering up and wrapping up the connections, but wanted to test out the connections before installing back into the fairing.

Ya, the extra ground cable, figured wasn't needed so took that cable

Yes, I do have the dual light mod cable.
green/spotted orange wire for the mod

Do you mean the low beam cable that the bd43 mates up with?

you do need to jump the yellow/black striped wire over to that connector but the green/black striped wire needs to be pulled and taped up out of the equation.
the yellow/black wire is for the high beams of the h4 and that green/black wire is for the low beam of the h7. you don't want to jumper those two wires together.

I pulled the wrong cable for sure then.

I'll take a look when I get home from work.

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Thanks for the help, you figured out what I did better than I did.
a picture is worth a thousand words. ;)

I do plan on soldering up and wrapping up the connections, but wanted to test out the connections before installing back into the fairing.
good to know. and understandable.

Do you mean the low beam cable that the bd43 mates up with?

yes. i was lurking through and found some pics of ant's dual headlight mod. he tied into the wire i'm speaking of much the same way i did except that mine was a solderless connector. you will tap into that wire by going through the wire harness connector. it's much cleaner that way. regardless, you're trying to hook the dims of the projectors to that wire.

here's ant's album for you to see exactly what i'm talking about.
Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum - ant_mb's Album: Headlight mod

htdub

Reaction score
Visit site
Well after much drama, the bike is back together and lights are in and working :cheer:

I think my problems were a bad ground on the h7 side. And not understanding what goes where. Velcro'ed the ballast and relays, with some industrial stuff, hopefully that stays. Most connections were soldered and wrapped. I took the extra connections from the kit parts to make the connection cables between the h4 and h7. I didn't need to keep the factory light harness.

I ran a single ground and single positive back to the battery, which may have solved the early problems.

I didn't hook up the angel eyes, Watsen's didn't come yet, so i'll tackle those with the pod lights.

The angel eyes are overpowered with the projectors on, I'm thinking of putting in a switch in, to run those, but not so legal or visible on the street.

I'll get some photos up when the lights come in, thanks for all your help on my first electrical mod.

:eek:

Last edited:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Because I,m way to lazy to read all through this thread again ,lol
What ballasts did you guys use ?

I,m ordering my projectors tomorrow :cheer: